Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had the Blue Ox Apollo for almost 4 years. I don't like it. The inertial activator in it is less than reliable, in my opinion.

I would not buy a used one if I were looking again.

I plan on replacing it, but just haven't figured out by what make model.

fwiw
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the US Gear UTB 3 years ago and it has worked very well with no problems. I looked at the Air Force 1 and M&G also and I liked them alot also. My deciding factor was that Monaco and Winnebago chose to wire there coaches for the UTB so I felt that if they indorse it It sould be a stable and reliable system. Another deciding factor was that I could purchase it from Monaco for $350 when they were liquidating there inventory.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The major problems with the systems like the Apolo are two folks

1: They do eat towed electricity, IF the battery on the towed is marginal they may eat more than it has to spare.. Normally this is not a problem.

1B: I seem to recall those need heavy power wieres the standard ciggy lighter wire may be unable to haul the load... NOTE: This is a rusty recall, May have wrong brand.

2: The old "Oh, it's only a few miles, it's too much trouble" Syndrome Of course that the trip you will need it on.

Other than that (And 1 is addressable with a Towed Charge system) they are good systems.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The major problems with the systems like the Apolo are two folks

1: They do eat towed electricity, IF the battery on the towed is marginal they may eat more than it has to spare.. Normally this is not a problem.

1B: I seem to recall those need heavy power wieres the standard ciggy lighter wire may be unable to haul the load... NOTE: This is a rusty recall, May have wrong brand.

2: The old "Oh, it's only a few miles, it's too much trouble" Syndrome Of course that the trip you will need it on.

Other than that (And 1 is addressable with a Towed Charge system) they are good systems.
My experience with the Apollo says otherwise so I have to respectfully disagree.

1) Power from the ciggy outlet has never been a problem. A second outlet in the Jeep suplies the wireless brake indicator. And if the battery in my vehicle were marginal, I would replace it anyway.

2) It really is not that hard to install/remove. If I have it, I use it.

The real problem with my Apollo system is unreliability in actuating and the sensitivity levels being eratic.

I would NOT recommend it. Blue Ox even replaced it. That tells me something.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
The only thing NO ONE will ever convince me of is a system that applys pressure to a dead pedal, particularly the Ready Brake that uses a cable to pull on first, a vacumn assited pedal and then as the vacumn runs down, a dead pedal....how does it know?
On my BrakeMaster system one of the instructions is to bleed the brake system by pumping the peddle several times before putting the air cyl. in place.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake