Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Dinghy Choices

The time has come to purchase a dinghy vehicle for my 2005 Itasca Meridian DP. I am considering a Ford Fusion Hybrid which Motorhome magazine lists the auto transmission as flat towable. I am also interested in the Hyundai Hybrid models and the Kia Hybrid models which are not listed in the MH 2012 guide to dinghy towing. If anyone is towing these models or knows about towing them please respond with your issues/concerns/information.
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If they aren't listed in the towing guide then the manufacturer says they aren't towable four down.

In fact some that are listed as towable are later removed from the listing.

Another thing is that some makes/models may be towable four down but the manufacturer doesn't want the warranty claims. In such cases you can tow four down but you probably lose all warranty on the power train. Honda did that with a lot of models back in '05. Our '05 Ody was one that was affected. Honda paid us back for the towing gear we had installed and we bought a dolly with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #3

Chevy listed the Cruise as a four down towable but later revoked its claim. Have no idea what problems people had that flat towed the cruise & then needed warranty work. We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee four down but not all models are towable four down.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
And Ford has had tranny problems with towing 4 down!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
we have a 2012 ford taurus we flat tow, no problems to date. 11k miles with 1800 in tow.
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi,
I own a 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, the same car as the Ford Fusion Hybrid, and let me say first how satisfied I have been with the car and its mileage. I purchased it early January and I now Have 13,000 mile on her.
I wrote an email to Ford Motor Company asking about flat towing even though it clearly states in the owner’s manual you can flat tow the vehicle, I wanted a firsthand written answer stating so for my own records and below you will find Ford Motor Company response.
“Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Julie and I'm from Ford's Customer Service Department.

Let me first congratulate you on the purchase of your 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. I'm sure you are enjoying your brand new vehicle.

I can see the reason why you purchased your vehicle is for recreational towing. The guidelines for recreational towing that you have outlined in your email is correct. In terms of fuses that should be removed, your Dealer would be in the best position to advise if there are any.

What I found in my resources is about transmission fluid. Recreational flat towing may require the transmission fluid to be set to a lower fluid level. This will prevent damage to the transmission. The transmission fluid level is within the normal operating range and will not require the transmission fluid level to be readjusted after recreational towing.

In reference to the braking system of your vehicle, your vehicle is equipped with vacuum-assisted active booster. The active brake booster uses vacuum supplied by an electric vacuum pump mounted on the engine when engine vacuum is unavailable. The active brake booster is similar to a conventional brake booster but with the addition of a brake booster (vacuum) solenoid, a brake booster travel sensor and a vacuum sensor

I how every have NOT actually flat towed it as yet, due to some personal reasons.
I hope this helps you in your decision making.
ESW
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

I flat tow a 2012 Fusion Hybrid. It sounds like Julie in customer service should actually read a manual before responding. The CVT in the hybrid is a sealed system....you cannot lower the fluid level, nor are there any fuses that need to be pulled. I put the car in neutral, turn the key to accessory and drive away. We are using the Air Force One braking system and love it. It only brakes when I am using the coach brakes; the exhaust brake does not activate it.

I have not seen anyone posting any problems with the hybrid fusions or escapes and Ford maintains that these are still fine to flat tow. The 39 mpg balances out my 7-8 mpg on the coach
bmcfaror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whenever I get a yen for another car to tow I run it by Remcotowing.com seems to me they are well in touch with what is towable. Right now I am getting a 2011 Chev HHR ready to tow. Auto tran. and low enough for my handicapped wife to enter and exit without too much trouble.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Thank you for the information. I vsited my local favorite auto dealership today and fell into a very clean 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade, automatic, 4 dr. with just over 50,000 miles. I know this vehicle can be flat towed.
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #10

A Jeep dinghy is always a good choice!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by modo
Thank you for the information. I vsited my local favorite auto dealership today and fell into a very clean 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade, automatic, 4 dr. with just over 50,000 miles. I know this vehicle can be flat towed.
....as long as it's a 4x4 with a transfer case, not AWD.