Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Smile Dinghy sway

Hi, and thanks in advance for some info. I'm new to small RVs, class C 26ft. All of our previous coaches were over 40ft and all close to 50,000lbs. We wanted to try something smaller, so we bought a 26ft Nexus class C. When pulling cars in our larger coaches, we never really noticed the toad vehicle, however, in the Class C, it's a much different story. I could feel the sway, moved by the draft of trucks, and overall, didn't like how the vehicle and coach handled. Toad car is a very small honda fit ( only 2,500lbs). Ford 450 chassis, and 14,500 GVWR. So, my question is:: Is this what I should expect because the RV is so small, or should cars be moderately invisible during normal driving conditions? I'd be interested in your opinion, especially if you have direct experience with smaller Class C's and towing. Thanks for the help.

paul dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
No experience with the smaller coaches, but plenty with towing. Your toad is quite small, and certainly with-in the capacity of your coach. Have you driven your C by itself, and how does it handle then? Could be the coach and not your toad causing the sway.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
dinghy sway

Alignment is being checked now. Will no more in a few days. Coach feels top heavy to me, but I just assumed that's the way Class Cs are
paul dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Like a lot of other RV ailments have you weighed and checked the tire pressures on the C?
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our coach is pretty short, 190" WB. I'm betting yours is similar. With the last toad we had, a '08 Scion XB, you could feel it pull the back of the coach back and forth making it harder to keep straight going down the road. I did two things:
1. Added a trackbar to the rear axle on the coach. This helped A LOT. I don't know if the make them for your type of chassis or not. They take all the play out between the axle, springs, and frame only allowing it to up and down and not sideways. Some owners have installed them on the front too, it acts like a steering damper.
2. I had 18" alloys installed with low profile tires on the car. After a time my son was a new student driver so I took the fancy wheels off and put the stock ones back on - he would have curbed them anyway, so I figured why let him screw up a thousand dollars worth of wheels. Low and behold the car towed immensly better with the stock tires. Apparently the extra grip and width of the fancy tires gave it more traction to tug on the rear of the coach. Viola, motorhome tracks straight as an arrow now.

We have a new toad, a Subaru Crosstrek, and it's not problem. Doesn't have real low profile tires, weighs about the same as the Scion.

We also towed a 28' aluminum tandem axle trailer with a boat that was about 4500lbs. and no issues whatsoever...except for climbing grades.
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

You might get more answers by posting in the appropriate forum. Many of the experts here do not frequent the New Member Check In.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum......I had an issue similar to yours 15 years or so ago, it was the Class C shaking the toad. I could hardly keep it on the road around semi's. I ended up installing airbags on the Class C's suspension and about 80% of the problem was cured,,,,, Just FYI...
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
I downsized from a 40'DP to a 25' B+ with Firestone Air bags, and did not notice any difference in tow performance except the additional drag impact. I have a Malibu Max I towed with my DP @~3400lbs I can tow it ok with the B+, NO Sway but I did notice the greater drag component so I bought the lightest toad I could get, a Smart car. MUCH less drag of course @~1850lbs but NO Sway on either under any condition. The wheelbase on my B+ is ~177" and not a lot of overhang.

I kept the Malibu as second toad just for occasions when I might need a 4 passenger car. I have only taken it with me on relatively short trips when I needed the extra pax space in the car. Much prefer towing Smarty when I tow at all. Sometimes I don't take a toad. But no sway on either toad.

My B+ has a lower C of G than most 25' units. ~ 10' high and the Chev 3500 chassis is heavier then the sprinter units for example and I carry full water, propane and gas whenever I can so C of G is good and the ride is stable. Virtually no impact with truck passing or other sidewind components with or without toad. I have driven some Class Cs that seemed to have a lot of latersal sway with nothing on behind. That high profile with the cab over weight and longer overhang etc could amplify a sway component introduced by a toad. Just speculating from a physics perspective on this. Have no supporting evidence.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
There is a world of difference between a large class A and a small class C. Generally you would expect to feel the toad more in the smaller unit. The problem is somewhat magnified because of the overhang on a class C. The distance from your rear axle to your tow bar, plus the added weight in the back of your unit contribute to the problem. Make sure your tow bar and base plate are level with each other. On a Honda Fit, the base plate sits low on the vehicle. If necessary you might need to use a drop receiver hitch. In short, compared to your previous unit, you will feel it more, but it should be barely noticeable and not uncomfortable to drive.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Driving a 32ft Class C with a miata, similar weight to your fit. The sway I feel, not sure if it's the same with yours, comes from the Class C not the toad. Have you driven the rig by itself? I think the sway will still be there with or without the toad.
2012 Jayco Greyhawk FK
Flat towing 2008 Miata
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Paul! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Sorry I can't help with your questions. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote