Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds good but I have never heard of a coastline tow bar and what toad braking system will you use.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
I bought a Suzuki Vitara which had a new engine installed. I needed a 4 wheel drive toad and the Vitara fit the mission. I did the base-plate install myself and installed the ready brake system. The system works for me. I see posts that some folks are able to hook everything up and be on the road in 5 or 10 minutes. I had to stop and think about the steps I take to get my toad set up behind my moho. It certainly takes me more than 10 minutes. Maybe I am too fussy about all this, but here is what I do when hooking up.
1. Pull the moho to a level and fairly straight site (its in my driveway before a trip as we pack).
2. Place the tow bar in the hitch which already has all the attachments in place such as the ready brake and brake away. Put hitch pin in which has a keyed lock.
3. Pull the toad over to where the moho is.
4. Hook tow bar up to base plate and insure pins are in correctly.
5. Hook up ready brake cable and brake away cable to toad.
6. Hook up safety chains.
7. Since I use magnetic brake/signal lights on the toad, put them on toad and I zip tie everything down so they stay put. Plug light harness into moho and zip tie the line to the tow bar. Plug in brake indicator light to moho from ready brake.
8. Go into toad and set transfer case to neutral and tranny in park. Leave key in ignition and in the "on" position so steering wheel will turn.
9. Go into moho, start engine, and check turn signals and brake lights with DW giving me thumbs up (or down) as each system is checked.
10. Drive forward so that my blue ox Aladdin tow bar arms are fully extended. I then get out of moho, confirm that everything looks ok on top, (cable tensions, hitch pins, etc) then I crawl under the toad and eyeball my base-plate.

While this is a long list, it moves along quickly but certainly takes more than 10 minutes. I take my time. I would rather be overly cautious then discover a problem on the road. Having written check lists are really helpful,
Bill
I can see why it takes you so long to hookup. To each his own, but these things seem to take a lot of time and are easy to change:
1. Why do you remove tow bar from the MH?
2. You have too many things to plug in. Should consider a more consolidated single plug.
3. Magnetic lights and tie down seem like a real time consumer. Why not just properly wire the toad?

Just my thoughts.

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
I can see why it takes you so long to hookup. To each his own, but these things seem to take a lot of time and are easy to change:
1. Why do you remove tow bar from the MH?
2. You have too many things to plug in. Should consider a more consolidated single plug.
3. Magnetic lights and tie down seem like a real time consumer. Why not just properly wire the toad?

Just my thoughts.
Hi Wiggins, thanks for the thoughts. Since I am not FT, when the MH is not being used the tow bar comes off and goes into storage. When I am on a trip, I usually leave it on. I do agree on loosing the magnetic lights. As I am sure you know, the investment in all this stuff is significant. At the time, it was cheaper for me to go the magnetic route. It works, but I would eventually like to wire the toad, especially if I can do the work myself. Just have not explored it yet.
Bill
Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
The Sonic is a light weight little car - just under 3000 lbs, so I'm not going to worry about a braking system when towed by a 36 ft pusher. Tow Bar is Blue Ox, but the car shield is Coastline: Tow Car Shield

It fits like a glove, and is priced about the same as the rigid shields that mount on a tow bar, but protects the entire front of the car, including windshield. I've driven the Alaska Highway 22 times now, and I don't want to mess up the tow'd Sonic on my 23rd trip!
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Don't you have to have toad brake to tow in Canada?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Don't you have to have toad brake to tow in Canada?
AK is for Alaska and that state is one of your 51 states !
Old 06-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Well of course but you have to go through Canada to get to Alaska and I am pretty sure if you travel through Canada you do have to have toad brakes.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
It seems that Corprimo will tow witjout toad brakes and he will be illegal in the USA and in Canada as well.

In Canada we do need toad brakes over 2,500 pounds I beleive, depending which province you travel to.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #23

When did we get a 51st state?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
When did we get a 51st state?
Sorry about that, my mistake, I do know that we do have 10 provinces and the Northwest Territories and Yukon in our large canadian country.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the new electric steering instead of the hydraulic setup will the wheels turn left and right or not while towing? I have a new 2014 Sonic on a tow dolly and they don't seem to want to turn as though the steering wheel is locked.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #26

the 51st state is "mexico" don't you know. it just hasn't been announced yet
Old 07-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Front wheels on the Chevy Sonic turn just fine when towing. No problem with the electric power steering. I have a switch on fuse access door that disconnects fuse #1 as recommended by GM.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
The Sonic is a light weight little car - just under 3000 lbs, so I'm not going to worry about a braking system when towed by a 36 ft pusher.
Well, you should since you must be legal in EVERY state you travel into or through.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing