Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #1

Dinghy Towing

Looking at either a 2015 Chevy Sonic or 2015 Ford Focus as a TOAD> Any comments either way?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

This might help

Can each be towed 4 down?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One will find a variety of thoughts and opinions about towing 4 down vs dolly here. I've done both and have come to like the dolly approach much better for many reasons. Others like the 4 down way for good reasons.

My experience has been that we like towing our Focus (2008) on the dolly. Its a great car for daily use when we are not traveling and it has lots of room. We looked at a lot of different vehicle for a toad and we are glad we went with the Focus. We store a good bit in it while its hooked up for travel which is handy- the drop down seats make the rear area very roomy.

The wife and I have it loaded and ready to tow in about 10 minutes, and other than checking the straps whenever we stop we just keep an eye on it with the rear camera. Its fun to run around in when we want to use it.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

And then you have the guy in our camping club who drove his car too far and went over the platforms of his dolly. I think I'll stick with 4 down.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
And then you have the guy in our camping club who drove his car too far and went over the platforms of his dolly. I think I'll stick with 4 down.
Meh, it was a teachable moment. Doesn't 4-down double the tire wear?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefratz View Post
Meh, it was a teachable moment. Doesn't 4-down double the tire wear?
You have wear on 4 tires either way ... 2 on the dolly plus 2 on the toad, or 4 or the toad. Your choice
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

Four down on an appropriate toad. We had a Jeep Liberty. We are going to get a new toad, most likely a slightly used Fiat 500 L stick ship.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

I can hook up in about 10 minutes and unhook in less the 5 minutes. When I'm done, I'm done. I don't have to start to look for a place to store the dolly. A lot of sites are so short the MH, the car, and the dolly won't fit on the site. I have also been to a few RV parks that state, no dollies, or trailers can be left on the site. Then you'd have to store it somewhere. Too much hassle.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I can hook up in about 10 minutes and unhook in less the 5 minutes. When I'm done, I'm done. I don't have to start to look for a place to store the dolly. A lot of sites are so short the MH, the car, and the dolly won't fit on the site. I have also been to a few RV parks that state, no dollies, or trailers can be left on the site. Then you'd have to store it somewhere. Too much hassle.

Agree.

Except I don't think it takes me 5-10 minutes. Only a couple three. We don't have any problem with making a enroute stop and disconnecting the Jeep to run around and reconnect to continue traveling.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.cooney View Post
Looking at either a 2015 Chevy Sonic or 2015 Ford Focus as a TOAD> Any comments either way?
The Sonic RS auto cannot be towed 4 down but all other can but the book says pull a fuse to keep the battery from discharging, a charg line would be a better option.
The Focas can be towed 4 down w/auto but they say disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery before towing. after towing, start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting the battery cable. That sounds kinda goofy and wonder if a charge line would work if it's only to keep the battery up? I would ask a good Ford tec before trying.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:08 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
The Sonic RS auto cannot be towed 4 down but all other can but the book says pull a fuse to keep the battery from discharging, a charg line would be a better option.
The Focas can be towed 4 down w/auto but they say disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery before towing. after towing, start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting the battery cable. That sounds kinda goofy and wonder if a charge line would work if it's only to keep the battery up? I would ask a good Ford tec before trying.
= hassle

I'm a "no hassle guy"

I want a toad that's just simple. Hook, turn key to tow detent, neutral, I'm out. I don't wanna fool with any fuses, no battery cables, no dead batteries, no putting a brake buddy in the floor ( thanks m&g engineering)

Tire wear is negligible, not a factor, not considering the effort and price to rv at all.

Me personally wouldn't tow a new car either. To me a toad is utility only. They take some pretty good abuse. But not everyone feels this way.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #12

I bought a Suzuki Vitara which had a new engine installed. I needed a 4 wheel drive toad and the Vitara fit the mission. I did the base-plate install myself and installed the ready brake system. The system works for me. I see posts that some folks are able to hook everything up and be on the road in 5 or 10 minutes. I had to stop and think about the steps I take to get my toad set up behind my moho. It certainly takes me more than 10 minutes. Maybe I am too fussy about all this, but here is what I do when hooking up.
1. Pull the moho to a level and fairly straight site (its in my driveway before a trip as we pack).
2. Place the tow bar in the hitch which already has all the attachments in place such as the ready brake and brake away. Put hitch pin in which has a keyed lock.
3. Pull the toad over to where the moho is.
4. Hook tow bar up to base plate and insure pins are in correctly.
5. Hook up ready brake cable and brake away cable to toad.
6. Hook up safety chains.
7. Since I use magnetic brake/signal lights on the toad, put them on toad and I zip tie everything down so they stay put. Plug light harness into moho and zip tie the line to the tow bar. Plug in brake indicator light to moho from ready brake.
8. Go into toad and set transfer case to neutral and tranny in park. Leave key in ignition and in the "on" position so steering wheel will turn.
9. Go into moho, start engine, and check turn signals and brake lights with DW giving me thumbs up (or down) as each system is checked.
10. Drive forward so that my blue ox Aladdin tow bar arms are fully extended. I then get out of moho, confirm that everything looks ok on top, (cable tensions, hitch pins, etc) then I crawl under the toad and eyeball my base-plate.

While this is a long list, it moves along quickly but certainly takes more than 10 minutes. I take my time. I would rather be overly cautious then discover a problem on the road. Having written check lists are really helpful,
Bill
Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

focus 2015

i have had a 2015 focus for almost a month, and just started towing it. it seems to tow great with no problems. we looked at the chevy sonic, but didn't like it as it was a little smaller and wasn't as plush as the focus.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We are setting up our 2014 Sonic 6 spd for towing - Blue Ox base plate, fuse #1 by-pass switch and extra bulbs in the tail light housings. Also bought the Coastline tow car shield that is custom made for Sonic to protect from rock chips. This goes from below the bumper to top of windshield. I was impressed with their business and warrentee. Should be trying it out in the next few weeks.

'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing