Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #29

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We're towing a 2009 Malibu with a ReadyBrute tow bar which incorporates the ReadyBrake system. Connecting the brake requires only one additional cable when we hitch. In the 6 months we've been full-timing we've had a couple of hard stops and all I can say is that we've always come to a straight stop. I can't, of course, tell what the braking system contributes, but it's nice knowing it is there.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We're towing a 2009 Malibu with a ReadyBrute tow bar which incorporates the ReadyBrake system. Connecting the brake requires only one additional cable when we hitch. In the 6 months we've been full-timing we've had a couple of hard stops and all I can say is that we've always come to a straight stop. I can't, of course, tell what the braking system contributes, but it's nice knowing it is there.
Doc,

When I bought my ReadyBrake with the Ready Brute system I also got the In-Dash Light Monitor. It's a simple LED light that let's you know your brakes are actually being applied. RV Towing Accessories - NSA RV Products about 1/2 down the page.

CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbtEngr View Post
Doc,

When I bought my ReadyBrake with the Ready Brute system I also got the In-Dash Light Monitor. It's a simple LED light that let's you know your brakes are actually being applied. RV Towing Accessories - NSA RV Products about 1/2 down the page.
The monitor light is somewhat helpful, but there is no way to tell how hard the brakes are being applied on the towed. Would like to see NSA offer a percentage gauge/monitor that hooks up to the front of the ready brake so you can see on the fly how much travel is left on the slide bar/actuator of the unit. IMO this would make it much easier to properly adjust the brake cable for optimal performance.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info! I must admit when I installed mine I didn't have good connections and when I did my test tow it didn't work. I haven't had a chance to do another tow since fixing my bad wiring job.

Have you expressed your idea to them? I would buy it. They might take you up on it and you can get royalties
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm...$$$

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #34

Are 4WD/AWD VEHICLE SUITABE FOR TOWING BEHIND A MOTORHOME WITH ALL WHEEL ON THE GROUND?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Not as a general rule.

It all depends on the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinog View Post
Are 4WD/AWD VEHICLE SUITABE FOR TOWING BEHIND A MOTORHOME WITH ALL WHEEL ON THE GROUND?

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinog View Post
A Jeep 4WD tows very well and it's easy to set up
Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #37

Many AWD/4WD vehicles are OK to tow 4 down. See what the manufactures say. Examples are Chev Avalanche, Ford Edge, Honda CR-V, Subaru, Buick Enclave and it's sisters, Jeep Grand Cherokee with the right transfer case - and the list goes on. Check out MotorHome magazines dingy guide.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a difference in 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive also so don't get the two confused.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #39

dinghy towing of a 4wd vehicle

I am towing a 2005 Chevy Colorado 4x4 and it tows very nicely. The 2005 model year doesn't have a steering wheel lock which makes it even easier. I am using the ReadyBrute Elite with the surge braking and I really like it.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
A Jeep 4WD tows very well and it's easy to set up
Yep, I towed a Jeep GC full time 4WD for many miles some at more than 70 mph with no problems. Got behind three 18 wheelers heading toward Salt Lake and they were MOVING!!

Have been towing our '05 Honda Ody on a dolly, now going to tow four down since I had RoadMaster install the brackets in early '05. YES, I know it's not approved by Honda but I've seen a lot of them being towed and talked to the owners and none have had problems UNLESS they forgot and did the shifting wrong. The trans gets left part way in reverse if you go from reverse to neutral and tow that way.

I did tow it a few weeks ago for about 150 miles total and blew out a 20 amp fuse in the Ody. I must have a short in the plug so I need to fix that.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow bars.. Most any you like, whatever your dealer carries. The two biggies are Roadmaster and Blue-OX.. Pick one with the features you like (Some roadmasters stow on the towed, I prefer one that stows on the MH like the Blue Ox Aventa but the choice is yours)

Braking systems: I like installed quick connect systems, NO system connects up faster thn Roadmaster's new Invisi-brake however it's too new to rate reviews.

US-gear Unified brake decelerator is the one I used when I had a towed, and likely will use again. From all the research I've done that is the very best one. However there are others that come very very close.

I do not like the box systems like Brake Buddy, Even brake, Et-al because they have to be "Installed" every time you tow and it's way too easy to be making a short trip, say to the dealer, and say "Oh it's too much trouble, I'll just forget it for this short CRASH wish I'd installed it now".
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
We are first timers for towing a vehicle. We have a 2012 Ford Fusion and a 38T Winnebago Adventurer. We are looking for a brake system for the car. I was reading about the Ready Brake system...Has anyone used this with a Fusion? Any comments of any type of braking systems are most appreciated. Thanks!