Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Dinghy Towing (four wheels down)

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander which is also a bit small when others fit into the back seat. The Commander was a nice fit for me and one other passenger, but to small for two others in the back seat. You want believe all of the steps to get the vehicle into the right tow gear. Then about half as much to get it out of gear. I have looked and searched through most all of the Motor home Magazine at tows nice section for class C, MotorHome Magazine: Making your RV travels easier This shows Dinghy tows from 2002, go down the main page on the cover of the main page on the right about 2/3 down. All the information on towing Most all of your questions however I still have many questions.

What is a good "FULL SIZE" vehicle to tow?

When I say FULL SIZE I like the room of a large vehicle and I workout of my vehicle and enjoy doing the driving when friends are along for the ride. I had a ford f150 king cab 4WD which was nice. Never used it as a tow due to the after market problems. Also to high off the ground for me and my wife. I don't care for anything after market and making changes. I found out the hard way you will lose all warranty. SO IF YOU CHANGE IT, YOU PAY FOR IT ALL OR PART. Something ready to go use or fit off the lot. JEEP is so far in the woods on the subject of tow. I don't think they can see the light. 2003 Liberty was a great tow, but then they had to change the cup holders without making the vehicle any wider. I wonder if any of them are 6' tall and tow a vehicle on an RV..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
What is a good "FULL SIZE" vehicle to tow?
A GMC Yukon XL like I tow.

A GMC Yukon XL/Yukon, Chevy Suburban/Tahoe are easy to tow.

Put the transfer case in neutral and tow. No muss, no fuss.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
No after market changes?

In looking over the website their are some problems. First is 4WD, all are an extra 6" higher than normal vehicles and I can no longer get into a high off the ground vehicle. and the towable pumps which can not go over 65MPH. Which is OK. Stoping every 300 to 400 miles to cool the trans down, long term problems.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
No after market changes?
None.

GM full size 4WD SUVs/pickups are towable without ANY after market modifications.

I don't think the 4WD Yukon XL/Suburban is any higher than the 2WD version nor difficult to get into and running boards are standard.

A visit to the dealer would answer your access questions.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We moved up in size to a GMC Acadia (crossover SUV) and love it. It seats 7, with nice bucket seats for 4 and a fold down third seat that adults can actually get into and ride is reasonable comfort. The second row buckets are also folding (simple!), so you can have a huge cargo space if you like. The Acadia drives extremely well, the power is substantial and the fuel economy decent, on the highway anyway. A 5000 lb vehicle with a 288 hp engine is no econobox, though. Towable without mods, eithe rin FWD or AWD configuration.

Saturn Outlook is nearly identical and the Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse are very similar.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #6

Jeep Grand Cherokee, for a "full size" (?) SUV, with the appropriate transfer case, has always been a dream to tow. Never leave home without it.....
Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #7

The ridiculous method of getting a JEEP vehicle ready for towing is exactly why we bought an AWD Ford Edge. Although good for only 5 people, the Edge has plenty of power and requires that you only put it in Neutral and turn the key all the way back for towing (plus the base plate, braking system & wiring, of course). It tows wonderfully.

Our average MPG sits at 23.2 right now. But, we live in a semi-rural area and getting a gallon of milk requires a drive of 8 miles.

Suggestion:
Go on-line and review all the Operator's Manual publications before you make a decision. Especially the section devoted to "Recreational towing" or the like.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #8

That's how I get my Jeep GC ready: transfer case in "neutral", tranny in "park" and key at "ACC", plus all the tow bar, etc stuff...
Old 05-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dogman635UT,
If you are uncomfortable with the height of the full size vehicles, check out the Arcadia or ENVOY. ENVOY is out of production, but there may be some on dealer lots. I tow an 05 ENVOY (predecessor to the Arcadia). After almost 4 years and 46K miles the ENVOY has had no problems and and tows excellently. The ENVOY and Arcadia are heavy duty parts throughout the vehicle. For me, this is what is needed for successfully long term towing.

For GMC vehicles there is no after market devices needed and no stopping every so often. Just hitch the toad up and drive all you want.

The owner's instruction book is the only place where the manufacturer puts in writing all towing instructions and any limitations. Before making a purchase, consider reading the towing section of the owner's manual.

The Arcadia and ENVOY are considered mid size vehicles. However, we seat 5 very comfortably (I do not have the third row seat). Per the other Gary (RV Roamer) the Arcadia seats 7. The long wheel base means the car will ride very comfortably. Check them out, you may be surprised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
All of you make the case for the GMC vehicles and I did almost buy one when shopping.
At the time I needed a 4WD vehicle which was lower than most 4WD in height. What I had at the time was a 4WD Jeep Liberty which was our tow vehicle and it was a dream. This vehicle was very nice but to small for our needs. When driving with friends to and from meetings just not providing the room. The other vehicle was a 4WD Ford Crew Cab F150. .Some people make changes to their vehicles so that they can tow them and I do not like making any after market changes. My first stop was to Motorhome Magazine for information on dinghy towing (ALL FOUR WHEELS DOWN ON THE GROND). Some of the things I look for in a tow vehicle was will it fit my size and will three others my size fit, as well in comfort inside. I am 6 foot pushing 280 pounds. I want a vehicle, when being towed will not get added miles. I do not like having to make stops just to charge the battery or to cool down the transmission by starting the engine. 4WD is no longer an issue for me and if I had to make a change now, that would not be a consideration as it was before. That is where I found most 4WD vehicles to be just to high or higher off the ground. The 2007 Jeep Commander is not high off the ground and the 2007 Jeep Commander has two Neutral points. I use the book each time which is not completely clear on the subject of "instruction." Being that you have to turn the pages to find key passions and the key is a joke. For my needs it works for now, but I do not understand why it has to be so hard. It seems when you move from vehicle to vehicle you get other problems or concerns with the added change. Each of you like the vehicles you have and that is grate. My 2007 Jeep commander has almost 44000 miles at this time. I will try and keep it until 90,000 miles or until a major problem. I am a die hard F150 Ford guy, when it comes to vehicles. But for now towing one requires you have to make after market changes. Anyone buying a towed vehicle, I would tell them to be sure and do not buy one you have to read instructions each time into towed gear. One last point on towing the 2007 Jeep Commander you have to watch each step and as I recall it the Liberty was no real problem but still required reading as you go. and you have to watch the display while getting into the right gear all the while playing with the Shift and pin setting.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
In 1998, we started full-timing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was always afraid of doing something wrong, so for both the Toad and MH we made 5x7 inch cards with all the instructions in the order they occurred and marked that side starting. On the other side of the card, we did the same but the list was for stopping. We laminated the cards and put luggage tag attachments and hung them on the rear view mirror of the Toad and the antenna of the MH.

May seem stupid to many, but the relief knowing that we had the checklists and did everything every time made life way more enjoyable and we never had to get out the manuals to do what needed to be done.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Dogman635UT, we tow a 2008 Dodge Dakota 4 door 4wd 5 speed automatic four down. It is very easy to get ready to tow and is also easy to get into and out of and can handle 4 people easy.
Getting it ready to tow is simple put transfer case in neutral transmission in park. The only downside is you have disconnect the negative battery terminal because you have to leave the ignition switch in the on position.
This our second Dakota to be used as a toad and we haven't any problems.
Jerry and Janell
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jim,
I have the same as you. The steps to go into neutral and return to driving are taped to the dash. My 13 year old Gson is responsible for putting the toad into towing configuration and returning it to the driving configuration. He's been doing it since he was 10 and has never violated the process. Perfect every time.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote