Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Diodes vs. Separate Lights

Anybody have any strong preferences on "patch-in" diode brake lighting systems vs. simply routing separate lights???

From what I've seen, diodes are easier, but you risk voiding your warranty and/or frying your whole system....
Herman Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used the diodes in all my towed vehicles. Only problem I've ever had was with Honda with our '05 Ody. Was having trouble with the radio. Read a story in one of the car magazines about that problem, they got it fixed by replacing the cable from the antenna to the radio. Honda tried to tell me that the wiring I installed was causing the interference. I told them that the wiring was only active when no one was in the vehicle and, besides, the antenna cable was shielded. They then said OK, we'll replace the cable under warranty but if that doesn't fix it we'll charge you. They did and it did fix the problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think voiding your warranty is an urban legend. I have used diodes in all of my toads and never had a problem. There is a voltage drop with diodes but it is a non issue. Going from American to foreign requires a diode package available at your local RV store.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

We used the diodes on our 2004 Jeep Wrangler. It's been towed over 100,000 miles without any problems. Things to consider are how much room you have to install the diodes, and what type of wiring is in the vehicle.

There wasn't much room to install the diodes in our Jeep. The easiest way to do it was remove the tail light then access the harness through the hole in the body where it was mounted.

As for the type of wiring harness some manufacturers use a molded flat harness with all the wires side by side. If that's the case you need to cut the harness and separate the wires far enough to install a connector to plug into the diode. Another thing to look for is the type of material the wires are made out of. I know some years back GM and other manufacturers used form fitted aluminum wire harnesses for the tail and brake lights. They were meant to be replaced rather than repaired if a wire broke. They didn't work well with crimp on or solder type connectors.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
i did not use diodes i drilled a hole in the back off taillights and installed
a new base and bulb so its independent also no drain on battery
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster HyPower Diodes are the only way I will wire my car. It's simple with no drilling into your fixtures required.

Remove the fixture and splice in the diode, hook up the two different inputs and one output wires and your done.

Most often the separate lights are not as bright because of their location within the fixture.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I've wired four vehicles for towing. The first two (Ford Focus, Ford Explorer) I did the add-a-bulb. The second two (another Explorer, Honda CRV) I used diodes. Diodes were more easy to do and that is what I prefer. No problems at all.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Separate bulbs if room allows. Separate light system so no possibility of issues with the toads standard system.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

Had diodes on my 2000 Honda Ody. A diode block went bad ...has been awhile, but as I recall one turn signal would not work when toad was NOT connected to my. After I figured it out, I put in individual diodes to get it working. Wired 2005 Ody last April with separate bulbs. It was easy, no wiring to figure out, and works well.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Again, if you plan to use diodes, the Roadmaster Hy Power Diodes are the ONLY ones to use.

They are separate diodes not a diode pack and if one goes bad which is highly improbable you simple unplug the diode and plug a new one in it place.

You can do as you please once you have been informed of your options.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a T&C minivan and a Jeep GC wired with separate lights. Never had any issues with this set up.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
Anybody have any strong preferences on "patch-in" diode brake lighting systems vs. simply routing separate lights???

From what I've seen, diodes are easier, but you risk voiding your warranty and/or frying your whole system....

Herman,
Well, first of all, for the life of me, why there's always this impression that someone will "FRY" their electrical system of a toad if, they tie into the stock wiring for the lights, is beyond me. I guess if you're simply not paying ANY attention to what you're doing, and totally screw things up, then I guess, something could happen. But, if you've got any sense, especially "common" sense, then tying into the factory wiring for toad lights is as easy as it comes.

With one exception. Many factory authorized 2012 and newer toads, utilize what's called the "CAN BUSS" wiring system and if you tie into that system, then there's room for small, or possibly large catastrophes.

But, in 2011 or below, there's no worry about that. It's all a matter of preference. Well over 25 years and 10 different toads, (7) Jeep Wranglers, (1) Toyota Pickup, (1) 2011 Honda CRV and our present toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4, have all been wired the same exact way, and that is, utilizing the stock tail light bulbs, as toad lights.

Never even came close to "FRYING" the toads electrical system. It's a very simple method and, the best part, when towing, and folks are following your toad, all they see is what's normally operated back there. And that includes AMBER TURN SIGNALS, along with RED BRAKE LIGHTS, at the same time which, looks perfectly normal to anyone following.

Oh, yes, I install diodes too, to keep the motor homes signals from traveling up stream to the toads unneeded part of the system. The diodes I use are not the "high end" ultra expensive, Camping World or, any other RV supplier ones. I use Radio Shack diodes. They come in a 4-pack, for about$ 2.89. A diode is a diode. It's all a matter of preference. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
I think voiding your warranty is an urban legend. I have used diodes in all of my toads and never had a problem.
Read post #3, just above this one of yours, you'll see that Honda already tried it with us.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
i did not use diodes i drilled a hole in the back off taillights and installed a new base and bulb so its independent also no drain on battery
Diodes don't cause any drain on the battery, nor does using them in the lighting circuit.

Tags
lights