Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Disable or remove Steering wheel lock on 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4

How do you disable or remove the steering wheel locks on a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4?
wolfmanjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #2

Haven't been into any of the late model columns, but every column I've been into had a simple slotted plate splined to the steering shaft, secured with a snap ring. There's a plunger that is actuated by the lock cylinder that protrudes through the slots in the disc to achieve the locking action. This disc is usually right below the steering wheel. I would think that removal of the slotted plate, the snap ring and a coil spring under the plate that preloads it against the snap ring would disable the lock without any ill effects.

Go to the parts counter at Jeep and look at the parts breakdown in the book to see if there's a difference between the plate in the Auto vs Manual columns, because lots of manual equipped cars have no column lock. I know my 2017 doesn't.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about Jeeps, just wanted to say hello. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

Does turn key to ON position release steering (for towing)?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #5

I found it much cheaper and safer to just have a dummy key made.

Take your FOB key and have it cut on a plain blank (no chip etc), then just use that when you tow, slip it in the slot and it will unlock the wheel and no one can steal the car as it will only run for seconds without the chip.

To make it easier you could also take a large zip tie and keep it on the column for when ever you need it.

I towed my 2002 Libby for 250,000 miles and drove it for 120,000 miles. VERY, VERY sorry I sold it a few years ago. The dummy key worked for me all those miles. My LIbby was the prototype for the Liberty base plate from Blue Ox. I was the Beta tester .
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
I found it much cheaper and safer to just have a dummy key made.

Take your FOB key and have it cut on a plain blank (no chip etc), then just use that when you tow, slip it in the slot and it will unlock the wheel and no one can steal the car as it will only run for seconds without the chip.

To make it easier you could also take a large zip tie and keep it on the column for when ever you need it.

I towed my 2002 Libby for 250,000 miles and drove it for 120,000 miles. VERY, VERY sorry I sold it a few years ago. The dummy key worked for me all those miles. My LIbby was the prototype for the Liberty base plate from Blue Ox. I was the Beta tester .
Yep, this is the proper way to do it. A key that will open the doors but not start the Jeep for more than 5 seconds. It will run you about $5 at the most to get a key made at any hardware store.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 AM   #7

Try a locksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Yep, this is the proper way to do it. A key that will open the doors but not start the Jeep for more than 5 seconds. It will run you about $5 at the most to get a key made at any hardware store.
We use a dummy key too. I tried a couple big hardware stores and they did not have the key blanks, but the local locksmith made one up for a couple bucks.

We learned about dummy keys on this forum too. A big thanks to this great group.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know how Jeep does it.. If you have a "Pick-N-Pull" junk yard close by, grab some small hand-tools and see if they have any jeeps in stock.

I bought the lock assembly for my Saturn Vue for $15. I disassembled the mechanism and removed the locking paw that engages the column. No more key required, no more worrying about dead batteries, and one less item on the pre-tow checklist.

SaturnFans.com Forums

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #9

Dummy Key

Thanks for the suggestion but my Jeep does not have a chipped ignition.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Be careful disassembling the steering column if you have air bags. Even with the battery disconnected, the air bag will have power. It is very possible to set off an airbag while working on the steering column (like pulling the steering wheel). Your Service manual will have the correct procedure for disabling the air bag.
If you don't have a service manual you can subscribe to an on-line service for access to the shop service manual (for one car, one year at a time).
Such as from Alldata https://www.alldatadiy.com/
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:21 AM   #11

No chip in my keys so they already dum. I guess I will keep on using the keyed system. I had a complete set of instructions a few years ago but they got misplaced. Oh well.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

My '08 Wrangler has a steering lock. There are two reasons I want to disable it:

-No need to open hood and pop fuse to reduce battery drain, which forces a reset of the correct time on the dash

-No artificial mileage clocking

We have no more long trips until next summer. If I haven't found the ambition to do it myself by then, I hope to find a shop and pay to have it done.

Tags
steering