Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
disabling steering lock

I am purchasing a 2016 Colorado and would like to disable the steering lock. I have an 06 Colorado and the steering does not lock when I flat tow, which is great because I can pull the key and the wheels will turn. Any help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnolt View Post
I am purchasing a 2016 Colorado and would like to disable the steering lock. I have an 06 Colorado and the steering does not lock when I flat tow, which is great because I can pull the key and the wheels will turn. Any help?
Well Sir,
First off and I would think what's kind-a most important here is, if it's a '16, I suspect your vehicle will be under factory warranty. And, disabling the steering lock, I would assume, have some consequences on that warranty. Just a thought.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Don't know the details of your Colorado, but on my Murano there is a fuse for the steering lock located in the fuse block under the hood. I tow using a dolly and the steering wheel needs to be unlocked. I press the start button with the window open and since I'm not stepping on the brake the engine does not start, but the wheel unlocks. I then pull the fuse and the steering wheel lock is disabled while I tow. Before I unload the car I replace the fuse and I'm ready to go.

Sounds complicated but not really. Also, I saw a company somwhere that sells a gizmo that replaces the fuse and has wires you can run into your car that hooks to a switch to put the car in Tow Mode.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

I understand the warranty issue, however, the manufacturer is telling me I have to unhook my battery to tow and I worry about all the info stored in the onboard computers. I have heard that if you plug a 9 volt battery into the cigeratte lighter it will save memory, but for how long. I am just looking for a way to simplify things.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #5

Can you just turn the key enough to unlock the wheel, but not turn on the full ignition? Not familiar enough with the new Colorado to know how it is.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
I understand the warranty issue, however, the manufacturer is telling me I have to unhook my battery to tow and I worry about all the info stored in the onboard computers. I have heard that if you plug a 9 volt battery into the cigeratte lighter it will save memory, but for how long. I am just looking for a way to simplify things.
I've never heard of that before now. Onboard computers have a hard memory, when the battery is disconnected for 30 minutes or longer, the computer reverts to factory default. You lose your radio presets, clock setting, etc.
The ultimate source of information is GM customer service 800 number.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #7

Man you will get flamed by the naysayers here for asking how to do something to Your vehicle, personally I don't like leaving the key in the ignition when you stop even at a red light, your insurance company will laugh when you car is stolen and you say the key was in the ignition !!!!
FYI most late models have a spring loaded steering wheel lock and electric solenoid unlock,Our Ford doesn't lock the steering wheel but locks the shifter and will not let the ignition switch return to off to remove the key,easily defeated but console around shifter need removing.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion and if it belongs to you well this is STILL AMERICA for a little while !!! JMO
Old 09-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you looked in the owners manual for instructions concerning flat towing? It should list what to do, such as any fuses that may need to be pulled, key in ignition to allow steering wheel to turn, etc. As far as I know most new vehicles have chipped keys and if you use an unchipped key it will allow the steering wheel to turn but can't be used to start the vehicle. At least that what we did with our toad. Good luck.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hello bsnolt-

I found a 2015 Colorado owner's manual on the Web at

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uiLZOdACaNzquQ

Sorry for the long URL; the file is too big to attach to this post, or I would have done so. The section "Towing the Vehicle" starts on page 10-77 of the manual (page 358 of the Adobe PDF document).

I could not find a 2016 manual on Chevy's Web site. So, for the rest of this post I'm assuming the 2015 and 2016 Colorado owner's manuals say the same thing. (As an aside, I found it interesting that the manual says the 4WD Colorado can be towed flat or on a dolly, but the 2WD must be towed on a dolly, backward.)

Your post #4 indicates concern about effects from disconnecting the negative battery cable. Some folks at Coloradofans.com discuss this at this URL:

Flat Tow? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

On the seven pages of that thread you will also find links to battery disconnect switches that they used.

I believe you will be happy with the battery disconnect solution, rather than the steering lock bypass idea. And, as battery disconnection is (I think) a common requirement in RV toad circles, a search of iRV2 and commercial sites, such as etrailer.com, will probably turn up a number of "easy-to-use" disconnect switches in addition to the ones from the coloradofans.com Web site.

One final thing: Following the manual is always the best idea, in my opinion. It bugs me, though, that the manual does not say why the battery needs to be disconnected. If it's just a case of not discharging the battery while towing you could use a Toad Charge or similar to keep the battery charged from the RV. The folks from Chevy are steering you away from that solution (pun intended).

Enjoy your new Colorado. Our toad is too low to take off-highway.

Mark
Old 09-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #10

Mark, I leave the "valet" key in the first position above the removal position to unlock the steering, it does not affect battery draw. The doors will lock with the remote fob with the valet key in ignition, but will not with the door locks. Doors will NOT lock while the chipped key is in ignition. This is on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

FWIW, Roadmaster makes a dash-mounted disconnect switch kit so the owner doesn't have to remove a fuse.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have read the manual and find it funny that my 06 Colorado does not require the key be left in the on position, I always pull the key. I just do not need another step in my routine to possibly forget.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #12

A few weeks ago there was a blurb on TV about auto-makers getting approval to stop installing steering wheel locks on new vehicles. Reason, it was doing nothing to reduce auto theft. There was also something about reducing costs. Which, IMO, customers will never see on their end.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #13

Unhook the battery, the only thing you will have to reset is the clock on the radio, that's what I do.

Tags
steering