Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Disaster averted

We bought a used tow dolly and this was our first time out with it. Not sure what went wrong, but the bolts sheared on the passenger side hub sending the wheel down the embankment into a fence and delivering a huge spray of sparks before I could get her shut down and off the road. Luckily, there was no fire, no damage to the rig, and us, 3 cats and a dog are all fine. Slept last night on the side of the road. Surprisingly, this morning, DH found the wheel and tire (tires were brand new) so that saves a few bucks. What I hate is sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow. We'll lose one day at the balloon fiesta, but it could have been so much worse.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Likely the lug nuts were either not tight enough, or had been over tightened.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Any trailer, be it boat, lawn, travel trailer, tow dolly, needs to have you check torque on each lug prior to embarking on a trip. Plus, new tire mounts need torqued after the first 25 miles of towing.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bummer! But as you say, it could have been a lot worse!

Glad you guys are OK!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

....tough start.. agree--sounds like lugs were not torqued.....think I would have temporarily abandoned the dolly and drove the rig and toad to a comfortable location pending resolution of the dolly and tire.....pretty hard to steal with tire missing???
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The torquing of lugs was something that was stressed while teaching. If wheels were removed no vehicle left the shop without proper torquing.

The tire shops these days use torque sticks on their impacts. From what I've learned they will torque as correct as needed. I'm still one that likes to see a torque wrench used. They tighten them at a tire shop then I check it when I get home.

You did find the tire so if you look at the tire rim holes and if the lugs were loose the holes will be wallowed out. That's a sure sign of loose lugs. It would have taken a few miles but the holes as they wallow around will act like a saw and chew the lug nuts heads off.

If you see the remains of a lug still in the wheel hole with no head and no wallowing of the rim hole then they were over torqued and the lug heads came off. Those lugs are pretty tuff so my guess is they were not torqued correctly.

In my 35 years teaching HS teen boys I seldom saw a lug overtorqued and broken.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
3 of the rim holes were oval. DH put the lugs on by hand, no torque wrench used. I'll tell him what ya'll said.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
....tough start.. agree--sounds like lugs were not torqued.....think I would have temporarily abandoned the dolly and drove the rig and toad to a comfortable location pending resolution of the dolly and tire.....pretty hard to steal with tire missing???

We were going to be gone for over a week. We parked the dolly & the toad & finished our journey. We are safely at ABQ BALLOON!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I pulled a new utility trailer 1100 miles. Looked at lug nuts at destination. 4 out of 5 lug nuts were very loose on both tires. New does not mean things were done right.