Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

2012 CR-V towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
I am about to purchase a 2012 CRV, based upon the manual instructions that it can be flat towed, and the great things I have heard about CRV. I also know that the 2012, has been reportedly, "redesigned," and wonder if this redesign affects the flat towing in any way. Blue Ox does have a base plate for the 2012, which I saw on the web. Is anyone towing the 2012 ??

Hen,

We recently upgraded from an 02' CR-V to a 2012. I have a Blue Ox base plate that I'm planning to mount this weekend. Unlike the 02', this base plate will require minor cutting of metal support pieces at two locations.

Last weekend I installed the Blue Ox tail light kit which is powered exclusively from the coach. Easy removal of the tailight assemblies, and drill a 1" hole in the back of the fixture to install the new bulbs. I chose to fish the wires through the under belly route which keeps the wiring well protected by large, plastic underframe shields on the 12' model. Didn't have these shields on the 02'.

The week prior, I installed the SMI Air Force One air tank, service valve relay, fittings and air line on the coach. I'll install the toad SMI components this weekend after I have the base plate installed. I had an SMI Stay-in-Play Duo system on our previous gas coach and 02' CR-V and I thought it worked simply and reliably. Hoping the AFO works just as well.

Guess you can tell........ after a long northern winter, we're chompin' at the bit to get on the road and once again enjoy the fragrance of campfires and cookout food! Planning on a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN and Nashville in about 6 weeks!

BTW - I tried turning the key 'on' with our 2012 CR-V w/Navi and then turned back 'off' with the key still fully inserted .... the steering wheel DID NOT lock. I turned the wheel nearly a full turn both directions to test. I'm going the try towing this way to save the battery because it appears to be a simple solution to the battery drain problems.

Happy Trails,
Joopy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
BTW - I tried turning the key 'on' with our 2012 CR-V w/Navi and then turned back 'off' with the key still fully inserted .... the steering wheel DID NOT lock. I turned the wheel nearly a full turn both directions to test. I'm going the try towing this way to save the battery because it appears to be a simple solution to the battery drain problems.

Joopy, I tried that with my 2011 and the wheel would turn as long as I was in Park. But if in neutral for towing the key will not go in the off position. Were you in neutral or park on your 2012??

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #17

Joopy, I tried that with my 2011 and the wheel would turn as long as I was in Park. But if in neutral for towing the key will not go in the off position. Were you in neutral or park on your 2012??

Sgtjoe,

Wow.... so glad you mentioned that! I did not try turning the key while in nuetral because I didn't have my base plate installed yet. I will definately check it while in nuetral, too. Actually, I already bought a diode figuring that plan-B would be to run a 12v. line from the coach to charge the toad battery. Sounds like plan-B is very likely.

Thanks again for the tip, Sarge!

Joopy