Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Disconnect CRV Negative Post

I was in Harbor Freight the other day and saw a Battery disconnect for the negative post. It fits over the post and the cable connects to the other end. To disable the battery you turn a round knob. Anyone out there using this? The only draw back is that you would have to reset the radio. Too bad Honda didn't position that fuse a little easier to get to.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Try Something Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I was in Harbor Freight the other day and saw a Battery disconnect for the negative post. It fits over the post and the cable connects to the other end. To disable the battery you turn a round knob. Anyone out there using this? The only draw back is that you would have to reset the radio. Too bad Honda didn't position that fuse a little easier to get to.
I have asked this before, but why do you have to disconnect the battery? Is it because the key has to be in ACC to unlock the steering wheel?

I would like feedback on trying something different. First turn the key to the on position, Second turn the key to the off position, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY. Now turn your steering wheel to see if it will lock. I especially would like to know about the CRV.

The reason I suggest this is most Asian imports built after about 2008 have this feature but none of the manufacturers list it in their owners manuals.

I was at a campground recently and got into a discussion about this feature with several fellow campers. Five of them had different Asian imports they were towing either 4-down or on a dolly all 2009 or later and every one of them worked this way.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You don't have to remove the fuse or pull the battery negative. I tow a 2011 CRV. Connect a fused hot lead from your coach to the positive battery lead. This keeps your CRV battery powered up. Follow Honda's steps for shutting off your CRV after switching from drive to neutral. Leave the key in as they instruct. Towed to Florida and back with no problems. Run engine for 5 minutes every 250 miles or so.
floteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
On my CRV if you turn the key to the off position the steering wheel does lock.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both my '05 Honda Odyssey and my wifes '08 Civic lock if the key is turned off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Just me? The plan requiring me to reset that radio code, or lift the hood for that matter, doesn't sound that attractive when compared to what a little work would be required to mount a switch that would do the same thing pulling that fuse would do? Yes, it might be a hassle connecting it, but the payoff would be returned many times over - every time the car was pressed into toad service?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2008 CRV and you dont turn the key to the off position. You turn it pass the off positon to the Accessory position and the wheel wont lock. I drive 300-400 miles and the battery is still good.
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
If I left the key in the lock position on my CRV I would worry about hitting a bump that would cause the steering to lock. Might not happen but I'd still worry and be distracted trying to watch the steering wheel in the rear camera screen.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I have a 2008 CRV and you dont turn the key to the off position. You turn it pass the off positon to the Accessory position and the wheel wont lock. I drive 300-400 miles and the battery is still good.
Same here...and a bump cannot lock the wheels. The key has to be all the way in the "off" position, which must be done by pushing it in while turning it to the left.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Hen

I am about to purchase a 2012 CRV, based upon the manual instructions that it can be flat towed, and the great things I have heard about CRV. I also know that the 2012, has been reportedly, "redesigned," and wonder if this redesign affects the flat towing in any way. Blue Ox does have a base plate for the 2012, which I saw on the web. Is anyone towing the 2012 ??
Old 03-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hen, all I've heard is that it can be towed four down like the rest of them, but that information is worth what you paid for it. To be 100% sure, go to a dealer and look in the manual. My manual has a section that says it's fine to do it and what to do to tow it four down.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Just me? The plan requiring me to reset that radio code, or lift the hood for that matter, doesn't sound that attractive when compared to what a little work would be required to mount a switch that would do the same thing pulling that fuse would do? Yes, it might be a hassle connecting it, but the payoff would be returned many times over - every time the car was pressed into toad service?
Good thought, so how would you go about doing that??
Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Good thought, so how would you go about doing that??
If you do some checking at about any auto supply, they have electrical connectors that will push in where the fuse was. You pull the fuse, insert one of these where each leg of the fuse was. From the first one, run that wire to an inline fuse, then to each side of a switch, then back down to the other side of where the fuse was. Mount the switch within easy reach. The switch, when turned on (drive position) will act as if the fuse was in place. Switch turned off (tow position) will duplicate fuse removed condition. The inline fuse will protect the circuit just as if you hadn't done anything.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at pages 334 & 335 here http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...1/WA1111OM.pdf
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote