Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #29

2019 Jeep Rubicon battery

Our battery was dead after not running for 3 weeks. Concerned that this will be an issue when flat towing on our maiden Voyage next week. We have a Blue Ox system with AirForce1. What is this charge line that people are discussing? Should we have it as well?

Don’t want to be in the middle of Utah with a dead battery.
Harley626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Marti View Post
I have a 2018 Ford Edge. The manual says to disconnect the battery. I called Ford and they told me the reason was to prevent damage to the transmission the transmission. So, I disconnect the battery. I use a switch hidden in the grille to operate a disconnect solenoid under the hood so I don't have to open the hood. The only side effect is that the check engine light comes on after going back to battery power. It goes out after a few starts.
I bet if you check, the check engine light is to tell you that the battery "went dead" when you disconnected it. Couple of starts and the computer will drop the fault memory.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley626 View Post
Our battery was dead after not running for 3 weeks. Concerned that this will be an issue when flat towing on our maiden Voyage next week. We have a Blue Ox system with AirForce1. What is this charge line that people are discussing? Should we have it as well?

Don’t want to be in the middle of Utah with a dead battery.
AirForce 1 is a great system, but it does activate the toad stop lights drawing a little power. The biggest concern is just the toad with the key turned so the steering wheel is unlocked . This can draw power from the battery. If you have a Freightliner Chassis. it is easy to hook up a charge line to keep the toad battery topped off. All of the hard work is already done on the Freightliner side. All you need is a wire from the trailer plug to the toad battery. You can also just start the toad every day to charge the battery.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
One of the reason to disconnect the battery or a certain fuse on many models, is to eliminate the additional millage on the toad and also to save the battery.
I tow a Smart fortwo and I installed a cut-off switch and I don't have a brake buddy; if any of you tow this car, do you use a brake buddy ?
p.s. the car only weighs 1,700 lbs behind my 24,000 lbs mh
Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by legrandnorm View Post
One of the reason to disconnect the battery or a certain fuse on many models, is to eliminate the additional millage on the toad and also to save the battery.
I tow a Smart fortwo and I installed a cut-off switch and I don't have a brake buddy; if any of you tow this car, do you use a brake buddy ?
p.s. the car only weighs 1,700 lbs behind my 24,000 lbs mh
I tow a smart fortwo and I have a braking system installed. Since the smart car is so light, normal braking is not an issue. The real issue is the possibility of a partial or complete breakaway. If I see the car is not in its proper location, I can fully apply the car's brakes remotely.
The sheetmetal that the baseplate is bolted to is very thin.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I tow a smart fortwo and I have a braking system installed. Since the smart car is so light, normal braking is not an issue. The real issue is the possibility of a partial or complete breakaway. If I see the car is not in its proper location, I can fully apply the car's brakes remotely.
Do you also use a 32" bungy cord between the steering and the driver's seat and do you disconnect the battery ?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by legrandnorm View Post
Do you also use a 32" bungy cord between the steering and the driver's seat and do you disconnect the battery ?
Yes to both questions.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, toad