Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
HE SPECIFICALLY SAID "WHILE TOWING" in is request for info

If he is towing it then, hopefully he has an aux brake system installed and when he stops the tow vehicle the towed also applies the brakes.

And this is a guess.. but that Duramax may well have hydroboost, not vacuum boost, and with hydroboost there is a back up booster that runs on 12 volts, not the power steering pump. so even if he's not towing, You miss.

I double checked, He clearly wishes to tow the truck 4Down, and that was clearly stated in the original post, So any comments about driving with odometer disconnected, or rolling free down the hill are not proper and do not apply.
Yes, I am towing 4-Down. Sorry to get folks in a snit. I am not trying to cheat on mileage etc. I just don't feel that mileage should accumulate if just being towed with no wear & tear to the engine or tranny. I am going to experiment with removing various fuses and will report back. I have not obtained aux. braking unit yet, but will before heading out on any major trips later this spring.[/QUOTE]

RVnewbie55,
We know you didn't mean to get anybody in a "snit". But, it happens. Lots of folks start to "argue" about issues when, all you're trying to do is find out an answer to your problem. Now, we tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and, it does not accumulate mileage when being flat towed. Now, it's definitely not the same truck as yours but, as at least one other on here has stated, YOU'RE THE FIRST ONE to state that towing a late model truck accumulates mileage while being flat towed.

Now, based on what you've stated, you're following the OWNERS MANUAL'S SUGGESTIONS AND PROCEDURES for flat towing, TO THE LETTER, CORRECT? If so, and you've double checked your procedures, and you're still accumulating the mileage, then I'd do a hop-skip and jump right down to the local Duramax dealer and find out:

1. If the procedures are CORRECT in the owners manual.
2. If so, then WHY am I accumulating mileage?
3. Am I SUPPOSED to accumulate mileage? (base on 10 zillion toads out there that don't, I'd suspect yours is NOT SUPPOSED TO EITHER)

There are some minor differences in procedures from year to year and model to model. So, unless someone on here, has THE EXACT SAME TRUCK, WITH THE EXACT SAME ENGINE, TRANS AND TRANSFER CASE, What others do to prep for towing, may, or may not, be the same procedures for yours.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
That was me.

I wasn't trying to preach federal laws. The only point I was trying to make was that because of tampering laws, the technology used in speedos makes it rather difficult (if not impossible) to simply disconnect them. On my old 1972 VW, I can just loosen the cable.
Sure Way- Disconnect the Positive Lead on the Battery

Scientific Method: get the Odometer to register- then pull fuses that refer to instrument, or ignition, one at a time-until the ODO goes out- then tow to verify

Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
As long as that solution also disables the ability to start the vehicle, I think you are perfectly legit in doing that. It is kinda a pain though. Certainly, lack of dash instruments would make it hard for one to say they "forgot" to put the fuse back in place.

I'm still scratching my skull on why your situation is the first one reported on IRV2.
Don't know why I'm the 1st, but actually the truck did start while this fuse is out, so I suppose if you really want to keep the mileage down you could drive it like that. It sure would be tough though not having any gauges...also, I would assume there would be no charging current going into the battery, so you'd be limited in how far you might get.

RVnewbie55,
Now, we tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and, it does not accumulate mileage when being flat towed. Now, it's definitely not the same truck as yours but, as at least one other on here has stated, YOU'RE THE FIRST ONE to state that towing a late model truck accumulates mileage while being flat towed.

Now, based on what you've stated, you're following the OWNERS MANUAL'S SUGGESTIONS AND PROCEDURES for flat towing, TO THE LETTER, CORRECT? If so, and you've double checked your procedures, and you're still accumulating the mileage, then I'd do a hop-skip and jump right down to the local Duramax dealer and find out:

1. If the procedures are CORRECT in the owners manual.
2. If so, then WHY am I accumulating mileage?
3. Am I SUPPOSED to accumulate mileage? (base on 10 zillion toads out there that don't, I'd suspect yours is NOT SUPPOSED TO EITHER)

There are some minor differences in procedures from year to year and model to model. So, unless someone on here, has THE EXACT SAME TRUCK, WITH THE EXACT SAME ENGINE, TRANS AND TRANSFER CASE, What others do to prep for towing, may, or may not, be the same procedures for yours.
Scott
Scott, Yes, I read and then reread the owner's manual for flat towing...T-Case in Neutral, Trans. in Park, key off (in my case there is no column lock) so my key is off and out of the truck. Still had the mileage accumulate though until I took the fuse out. Good advice though, I will call the dealer, but am afraid I'll not get a straight answer.
Bob
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would check with a dealer. Some here have stated towing similar trucks with no mileage accumulation. Either you have a different transmission system or there is a problem with your truck. A dealer is you best choice to find out why this is happening.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I believe most cars have electric speedometers, so they do not register when the proper fuse is pulled, as per the manual. That's what happens, with my Saturn Vue.
I have a simple fuse bypass switch that I mounted on the side of the console of our Saturn. Simple to install, simple to use. Leave in drive, turn key off, flip switch, and away you go.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I have a simple fuse bypass switch that I mounted on the side of the console of our Saturn. Simple to install, simple to use. Leave in drive, turn key off, flip switch, and away you go.
Great idea! I'll give it a try.
Bob
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your truck is an 06, it is exactly like my 07 LBZ. Mine does not accumulate miles, I just put the transfer case in neutral, Allison in Park, shut it off, remove the key, install the brake and go. The only way mine accumulates miles is if the key is left in the Accessory position. I have a friend that has an 06 LBZ he uses as a towed, his does not accumulate miles either.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:19 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am going to take a guess you have an electrical issue. I read some posts in a forum (Not this one, one of the Diesel Forums I belong to) a few years back where some trucks would leave electronics powered up, even with the key off. Now to go back and see if I can find them, and what they replaced that fixed it.
Just as an FYI - The GM Electrical Diagrams all state 2003 MY and up, last revised in 2006, are good on the LB7, LLY, and LBZ. The only difference is the engine specific connections. In the case of the speedo, I have a feeling it is either the BEC, or ECM, but I am leaning towards the BEC. Do a test, shut the truck off, so not open the doors, see if the radio still plays after 10 minutes, or if it shuts off at 10 minutes.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I am going to take a guess you have an electrical issue. I read some posts in a forum (Not this one, one of the Diesel Forums I belong to) a few years back where some trucks would leave electronics powered up, even with the key off. Now to go back and see if I can find them, and what they replaced that fixed it.
Just as an FYI - The GM Electrical Diagrams all state 2003 MY and up, last revised in 2006, are good on the LB7, LLY, and LBZ. The only difference is the engine specific connections. In the case of the speedo, I have a feeling it is either the BEC, or ECM, but I am leaning towards the BEC. Do a test, shut the truck off, so not open the doors, see if the radio still plays after 10 minutes, or if it shuts off at 10 minutes.
It's been a couple months since I did that (waiting for a friend) and it did shut off after ~10 minutes. I will try it again. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you know anyone that has the GM ScanTool, or an EFI Live have them plug it in and run diagnostics on the BEC, see if it is working as it should. The IPC/DIC fuse removal is working as the speedo and odometer get their power through it, and the speed sensor is active, thus the miles being racked up.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #39

I'll ask around and see if I can find someone. By the way, probably a dumb question, but what is the BEC?
Bob
Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
BEC=Body Electrical Connection, also known as a fuse/relay block. The truck has 4 of them, 1 under hood, 1 on the left side of the dash, 1 on the right side of the dash, and the MBEC, which is midbody, has the upfitter connections, trailer brake wiring plug, which is just above your left foot on the drivers side. There is a great deal of information on these, and some schematics available on GM's Upfitter Site: GM UPFITTER - Body Builder Manuals
If you are looking for the one to your truck, you will surprised to see the LBZ is not referenced, just the LB7 and LLY engines are, but the LLY connections are the same as the LBZ. It is titled 2003 & Beyond Light Duty C/K Full Size Truck Electrical, which actually supports 2003 to 2007 Classics, GM came out with a new one, that is titled 2008 & Beyond....

Sometimes the BEC's get corrosion or loose connections in them, not very often, but it does happen, and if the engine compartment BEC has corrosion you can try cleaning it, but if it has gone to long, you will need to replace it. Your problem also involves the IPC (Instrument Control Panel), which also has it's gremlins.

It could also be the BCM (Body Control Module), or even the ECM (The big brain). Both are pretty reliable, but you never know. It may be something simple, CAN-Bus Systems can do some weird things sometimes. Mine every once in a while if I start it while the electrical umbilical is connected will have the low fuel light on, it goes off, but it takes a few miles, so I learned a lesson, shut truck off before I hook up the electrical umbilical.

What are you using for towed lights, magnetic lights, separate bulb kit? What do you use for a braking? Is there a brake light relay installed? Just trying to cover all the bases.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
If anyone is still following this thread, I need help on my 2015 GMC Canyon continuing to rack up miles on the odometer while being towed. Camping World installed a Blue Ox Baseplate, an auxiliary 12volt plug for the Brakebuddy, and a battery negative post disconnect as per instructions in the GMC manual. I follow the instructions for changing to neutral and everything works perfectly except the odometer isssue. I returned the truck to Camping World and have also inquired at GMC dealers, but none of them have an answer. I did read a post in this thread that disconnecting the IPC/DIC 10 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood would solve the problem, but I can not find anything labeled IPC/DIC. Suggestions appreciated.
mapbrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbrowser View Post
If anyone is still following this thread, I need help on my 2015 GMC Canyon continuing to rack up miles on the odometer while being towed. ..... Suggestions appreciated.
The owners manual has explicit instructions under recreational towing. Only 4 wheel drive can be towed and the negative battery terminal must be disconnected among other things.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer, toad