Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
GMC Canyon Odometer Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
The owners manual has explicit instructions under recreational towing. Only 4 wheel drive can be towed and the negative battery terminal must be disconnected among other things.
Yes, I have followed all the owners manual instructions to the letter including the battery terminal disconnect. It still has an active odometer as soon as it is connected to the motorhome. As an experiment, I tried towing it a few miles without connecting the electrical cable to the motorhome and the odometer didn't register.

mapbrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a thought, but I am guessing someone at Camping World didn't do something correct electrically. Where is the power for the Aux 12V coming from? For a test, disconnect the pos and neg on the Canyon's battery, I am going to guess it won't register any miles. If it does not register miles, you then know when disconnected from the motorhome it does not, and when you disconnect both terminals to the battery. If that is the case, I am betting you need to disconnect both terminals on the battery, sounds like it is using something connected to the motorhome for ground.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
At this point I would have to assume there is a charging line from the motor home to the toad which is supplying power to the electronic speedometer.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
At this point I would have to assume there is a charging line from the motor home to the toad which is supplying power to the electronic speedometer.

X2. If you are using any part of your toad or MH chassis for the charge setup (specifically the ground/return), you have effectively substituted your coach battery for the toad battery.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #47

Not sure on the truck but on the corvette the signal is taken at the differential not the transmission. There is a cable that can be disconnected if that is the case.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Just a thought, but I am guessing someone at Camping World didn't do something correct electrically. Where is the power for the Aux 12V coming from? For a test, disconnect the pos and neg on the Canyon's battery, I am going to guess it won't register any miles. If it does not register miles, you then know when disconnected from the motorhome it does not, and when you disconnect both terminals to the battery. If that is the case, I am betting you need to disconnect both terminals on the battery, sounds like it is using something connected to the motorhome for ground.
Yes, I think it is a grounding issue and I am going to disconnect both terminals of the Canyon battery and see what happens. If that is the case, I guess I will have to have another battery disconnect installed. GMC/Chevy engineers certainly complicated things with the new Canyons and Colorados. The 08 Colorado I had was so simple to set up for towing.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
X2. If you are using any part of your toad or MH chassis for the charge setup (specifically the ground/return), you have effectively substituted your coach battery for the toad battery.
I am going to continue experimenting and checking on the grounding issues and see if I can find a solution. I will post results if I find a solution. Thanks for everyone's responses.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
GMC Canyon Odometer Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbrowser View Post
I am going to continue experimenting and checking on the grounding issues and see if I can find a solution. I will post results if I find a solution. Thanks for everyone's responses.
I just returned from a 320 mile trip with both the negative and positive battery cables disconnected and Voila, the odometer didn't accumulate any miles! My negative cable is wired to a disconnect switch which makes it easy to disengage, but the positive cable connection must be unfastened and removed from the post. This adds to the time required for setting up the Canyon for towing. After reconnecting everything, all presets on the radio were maintained and didn't require resetting. Note: Procedures in the owners guide for setting the Canyon in the neutral and then out of neutral are very confusing and state conflicting information. I made 3x5 cards (cheat sheets) from the information in the manual and added the corrections where necessary as I have discovered them from trial and error. The engineers and script writers at GMC/Chevrolet need to get their act together on the Canyon/Colorado towing procedures! I still think Camping World needs to correct the wiring so that it doesn't make ground with the Canyon. Thanks to all who responded previously.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well done investigation. I think your ground may have come thru the tow bar which is all metal.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer, toad