Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Disengaging Drive Shaft

We are getting prepped for our 1st MH. Current vehicle is a 2013 Subaru Outback which are not 4'down towable. It seems like I read about a device some company makes that makes it easy to engage or disengage drive shaft for 4 down towing. Does anyone know of or have any experience with such a product?
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Subaru is a 4 WD if it a automatic trans I think a trailer will be your only option if it's a standard it's ok 4 down.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Remco Driveline Disconnect | driveshaft coupler
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

I purchased mine from SW Driveline out of Yuma. Here is their site Southwest Driveline Service.
JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhud View Post
We are getting prepped for our 1st MH. Current vehicle is a 2013 Subaru Outback which are not 4'down towable. It seems like I read about a device some company makes that makes it easy to engage or disengage drive shaft for 4 down towing. Does anyone know of or have any experience with such a product?
No personal experience, but found this at the FMCA Motorhome forum, which are replies to a posted question regarding Subaru flat-towing:

"You are accurate about the information in the Outback owners manual being vague when it comes to recreational towing. It specifically says not to tow automatic and CVT vehicles faster than 20 mph and for no more than 31 miles. However, there is no such information about towing vehicles with a manual transmission. But there is specific information about the steps needed to prepare the vehicle to be towed four wheels down. During the process of putting together the 2013 Towing Guide, we asked the Subaru rep about this and were told that Outbacks with a manual transmission could be towed four wheels down.

Now, that doesn't help your situation since you are looking for an official document from the company that will protect you should the vehicle have a problem that would be covered under warranty. I read a submission on the Subaru Outback forum in which a letter was sent that specifically stated that the manual Outback could be towed four wheels down behind a motorhome. I have reached out to my contact at Subaru to see whether you could receive the same letter or at least be put in touch with someone who can officially affirm that the vehicle can be towed four wheels down without voiding the warranty."

"AWD Subaru vehicles with manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral. When towing a manual transmission Subaru behind your motor home, you would want the transmission in neutral and the key in the 'ACC' position. As all new models are equipped with digital odometers, mileage will not accumulate when being towed."

Since you already stated that you cannot flat-tow, I'll assume your Subaru Outback is an automatic transmission. But for those with a manual transmission, it looks like it's Subaru approved.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhud View Post
...Current vehicle is a 2013 Subaru Outback which are not 4'down towable. It seems like I read about a device some company makes that makes it easy to engage or disengage drive shaft for 4 down towing. Does anyone know of or have any experience with such a product?
A driveshaft disconnect is typically intended for a standard rear wheel drive vehicle...separate the spinning axle from the gearbox to prevent dry spinning the gearbox.

But, Subaru uses a transaxle to drive the front wheels and driveshaft to drive the rear axle.

Because of this major tech difference, I doubt an axle disconnect would do much for towing a Subaru...unless you wanna use a axle disconnect and a tow dolly

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #7

Thanks guys, looks like we will be getting a 2013 CRV. Not a bad switch from an Outback.
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You can get up to a 2014 and still be able to tow 4 down.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote