Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #29
doc

Appalachian Campers
you will hear all sorts of opinions here. Might as well hear mine. Your toad is not trailer. Laws mentioning trailers may (or may not) apply to a towed auto.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Did the entire hitch fall off the coach? If the safety cables/chains and break away cable were attached to the hitch they would not function as designed.
I ran my breakaway cable back to another point of the chassis using steel cable, probably overkill but I felt good about it. Cost me about $10 and a bit of time lying on my back.

As for the OP, you have a 40' Country Coach, I can't imagine it's cheap, don't try to save $1000 at somebody else's expense. If something bad did happen you'd have to live with your decision, get brakes or a breakaway cable at the bare minimum, you know it's the right thing to do.

Steve
Old 02-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
you will hear all sorts of opinions here. Might as well hear mine. Your toad is not trailer. Laws mentioning trailers may (or may not) apply to a towed auto.
Check the Fed Regulatory code 49CFR571.3
“Trailer means a motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and being drawn by another motor vehicle.”
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Did the entire hitch fall off the coach? If the safety cables/chains and break away cable were attached to the hitch they would not function as designed.
Here's the excerpt I read online:

...[Russ's] 1,000 mile trip down to Quartzfest had an incident where his towed Jeep and complete tow assembly SEPARATED from his Silver Twinky at 55 MPH on highway 99. Totally separated, due to failed weld jobs holding the tow bar stuff on the underside of his RV. Wow - the Jeep mindfully went to the side of the freeway and parked itself...

I saw the RV at the event, an old Airstream motor home (rare?). So it could be implied the hitch assembly was compromised over time and possibly the safety cables were attached to the same frame member that separated. I didn't meet him so didn't get a chance to ask. But it does support the notion that the safety cables should be attached to something totally separate from the hitch frame, since a failure might not be confined to the hitch receiver or drawbar itself. After 20+ years of vibration, stress and corrosion there's no telling how strong any weld or joint is.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Do any toad brake systems 'Not' come with the break away feature?
Yes, Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100.

-Kevin
Old 02-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Here's the excerpt I read online:

...[Russ's] 1,000 mile trip down to Quartzfest had an incident where his towed Jeep and complete tow assembly SEPARATED from his Silver Twinky at 55 MPH on highway 99. Totally separated, due to failed weld jobs holding the tow bar stuff on the underside of his RV. Wow - the Jeep mindfully went to the side of the freeway and parked itself...

I saw the RV at the event, an old Airstream motor home (rare?). So it could be implied the hitch assembly was compromised over time and possibly the safety cables were attached to the same frame member that separated. I didn't meet him so didn't get a chance to ask. But it does support the notion that the safety cables should be attached to something totally separate from the hitch frame, since a failure might not be confined to the hitch receiver or drawbar itself. After 20+ years of vibration, stress and corrosion there's no telling how strong any weld or joint is.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
It’s always amazing to hear about a complete hitch falling off a coach. It is my belief that part of the responsibility of ownership includes proper inspection and maintenance of the equipment put into service. I would also trust the OEM components to perform as designed as opposed to backyard modifications that involve drilling, bolting or welding of components that may not be rated to withstand the loads placed on them.

The cable for the breakaway switch is one point that does not need to be bomb proof.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
While anything is possible. A break away event has the odds of wining the Lottery. Not only does the tow bar have to fail but so do the 2 safety cables.
Breakaways usually happen when the latch is not secured with a pin on ball set ups.

Anyone every hear of a toad getting loose?
Saw one on I-75 in KY three years ago. MH was heading sb, toad crossed the median and both nb lanes before hitting a tree. Fortunately, it didn’t hit or kill anyone. Also talked to a fellow MH driver in Key West. He said that he had lost his but the brake stopped it just before it hit a concrete overpass.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I thought I saw another thread on iRV2 about a Mini Cooper that had most of the front end pull loose and detach itself from the motor home.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
In ARIZONA, state law says you do not need brakes or a breakaway brake system if you're under 3,000 pounds.
Great if you never leave AZ, but since you braking laws change at the state line and you go to a state that requires supplemental braking then what? There is no reciprocity on braking laws.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Check the Fed Regulatory code 49CFR571.3
“Trailer means a motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and being drawn by another motor vehicle.”
Except that applies to commercial vehicles only.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I thought I saw another thread on iRV2 about a Mini Cooper that had most of the front end pull loose and detach itself from the motor home.
I witnessed a couple returning to the CG we were at after they had stayed the night before. They were looking for their toad that had disappeared somewhere along the way after they had departed that morning. Not sure if they ever found it but were perplexed to say the least. The only thing they were fairly sure of was that it had not collided with another vehicle.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Dinghy brakes are mandatory in most states and Canadian provinces; besides, when extra weight is added, there must be a way to slow the mass down without overtaxing the brakes on the motorhome.

I also carry a million dollar umbrella liability policy, cheap considering the alternative.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #41

I read about a GMC Sierra that came loose on someones rig.
screamingbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #42

I use the ready brute elite with the brake in the tow bar. I installed it on a Jeep Wrangler, a Silverado,and now on a suburban.
screamingbir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad