Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Here's a question for you guys. I just finished up wiring my toad (2004 Honda Element) with a 6 pin trailer plug according to the wiring charts on the internet for 6 pin plugs. Motor home was already wired. I did not use the trailer brake wire on the toad part of the wiring because I am using a Brake Buddy with uses inertia to activate the brakes. Here's the problem. All the lights work properly except . . . . the brake light filament is on VERY dim all the time. And it is back feeding somehow into the rear tail lights of the motor home, causing THEM to be on very dim any time the umbilical is plugged in. I am not wired into the wiring on the toad at all except for a hot lead (center pole) to the toad battery which goes through a resettable inline circuit breaker . . . . any thoughts?
You said you only hooked the hot wire to the toad battery. Did you also connect the ground connection in your 6 pin in the toad to the negative terminal or some other good ground?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Twinboat

Why do you need to charge or maintain the toad battery? If there is a problem with the toad or its battery then fix it.

The diodes ensure that the power to light the taillights comes from the MH not the toad, as long as your MH alternator is working properly you should not have a problem. I can, and have left my toad connected for 4 days while traveling across the US. After 4 days jumped in the toad and it started right up no problem.

On my Malibu the "Ignition sensor" (2 amp) fuse is disconnected when towing, (I have the fuse wired in-line to a toggle switch for convenience). So the car does not realize the key is in ACC to unlock the steering.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #45

Some need to maintane the toad battery, because they leave the key on, so the wheels steer.

Others. charge the toad battery, because the electric, auxiliary brake box, uses the toads battery to run It. I understand, they use a lot of power and after a long trip the Toad won't start.

How do you stop your toad?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a brake buddy classic. I wired a fused wiring directly to the battery and my brake buddy. I adjust the sensitivity to only apply in heavy MH braking. Never used that much battery to drain the toad in 5 years with the Malibu and 3 years with a Saturn.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #47

If one is connecting the coach 12 volt charging wire to the toad battery, why would one need an additional fuse in the circuit if the coach already has a fuse for the charging wire?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #48

Gulf Streamers Club
That would leave an unfused wire between the toad battery and the socket on the front of the toad. Any (+)wire connected to a battery should be fused. Also, the fuse in the RV could be blown by a momentary misconnection. An auto reset circuit breaker is the better way to go.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
This works good. Towed Battery Charger
No worry about overcharge, back feed etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
That would leave an unfused wire between the toad battery and the socket on the front of the toad. Any (+)wire connected to a battery should be fused. Also, the fuse in the RV could be blown by a momentary misconnection. An auto reset circuit breaker is the better way to go.
If you are running your own wire you need a fuse. IF the tow vehicle is wired with a 6 or 7 pin socket it probably has a switched and fused line there for the purpose. Read the manual/schematic for the tow vehicle.

Tags
tow, wiring