RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #1

Do I need a supplemental braking system

I am looking at buying a 2019 Equinox as a toad. I currently pull a 2012 Mazda III with a GW of 2900 pounds. The Equinox comes in at 3512 lbs. My coach weighs in at 33,700 lbs. I don't use a supplemental braking system for the Mazda.... but my question is, do I need a supplemental braking for the Equinox?

MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
I am looking at buying a 2019 Equinox as a toad. I currently pull a 2012 Mazda III with a GW of 2900 pounds. The Equinox comes in at 3512 lbs. My coach weighs in at 33,700 lbs. I don't use a supplemental braking system for the Mazda.... but my question is, do I need a supplemental braking for the Equinox?

It is required in some states. The permanently installed proportional types are best. They connect to the air brakes on the MH. Mine is a M&G 2.0 Brake System installed in our Buick Envision. It is equal in size to your Equinox. Monty is the contact at M&G. Here is the link if you are interested https://m-gengineering.com/products/mg-2-0-system/

Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #3

Short answer, YES.

Point 1, many states require it on tows over certain weights, some as low as 1500 lbs.

Point 2, IMO, you absolutely need a break away braking system for the protection of OTHERS should the toad hitch connections fail.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

Currently, there are 41 states that require auxiliary brakes on a toad of 3,000# or less. Here is a guide to tell you where you can legally go with your toad without auxiliary brakes.

Towing Laws | Brake Buddy®
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

With essentially the same MH as yours we tow a 2104 Honda CR-V with a GVWR roughly the same as the Equinox. We use a ReadyBrute tow bar with integral surge braking system.

With very the large weight ratio between the MH and toad, I doubt we even need a toad braking system, but the ReadyBrute keeps us legal, is economical and simple. It also includes a breakaway mechanism which I agree is important.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You’ll get a full gamut of responses here. I always had one and felt better and didn’t need to worry about legality’s as I traveled to 49 States and 10 Can.Prov. If you get in an accident and that area required one and you didn’t have it , most courts would find you guilty whether it was your fault or not. That’s what I’ve been told.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
In a word, YES!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. Don’t think in terms of the stats, weight, this and that. Think about if someone else didn’t have one, their toad let loose, and came & hit you head on. IMHO, it’s irresponsible to others not to have the supplement system installed, even if it’s never used.
les.warden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By law, most states require brakes on a towed load, some as low as 1500#. And you have to abide by the state laws where you are traveling.

The argument that the towed vehicle is such a small percentage of the motorhome do not hold water. if the auxiliary brakes on the dinghy can stop you 6" shorter in an emergency stop, it can mean the difference between a stop and a wreck.

Also, a dinghy brake system will also have a break-away system to apply the dinghy brakes in the event it comes loose from the RV.

Another way to look at it is that the addition of the dinghy brake is a very small percentage of the cost of a motorhome and a dinghy. Play it safe and follow the law.

Ken
Old 08-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Currently, there are 41 states that require auxiliary brakes on a toad of 3,000# or less. Here is a guide to tell you where you can legally go with your toad without auxiliary brakes.

Towing Laws | Brake Buddy®
Crashes, thanks for this guide. According to the guide my home state Missouri says this “Independent braking system not required except on trailers coupled by a 5th wheel and kingpin.” So, I guess I do not need a independent braking system. However, if I’m traveling through a state that requires one can I still be given a ticket for not having one?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
However, if I’m traveling through a state that requires one can I still be given a ticket for not having one?
Yes. You must abide by the equipment laws of the state you're driving in. Reciprocity only applies to your driver's license.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I would and am. We also have a 2019 Equinox but ours weighs in at 4150 with a full fuel load.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #13

I have the ready Brute system on my Jeep, and it works well. I always wonder how many times has a car being flat towed come loose from a MH that has the proper sized tow bar, baseplate, and receiver hitch, and has installed the safety chains. Gotta be a low number. I suspect the number is a lot higher for bumper pull setups.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The state that I live in (Washington) does not require supplemental brakes for anything under 3K. The Saturn that I was towing was 2400 lbs. so I could get away with it here and I think Idaho and Montana. However, Oregon, California and BC in Canada all require them.

lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote