Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 04:04 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1650 lbs???? skip the aux brake thing... 3000 lbs is the limit in most states then you need aux brakes. What are you driving? a roller skate????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 04:50 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In a panic stop there is no such thing as too much braking. So if you will never have a panic stop you don’t need supplemental braking. Unless your baseplate fails or the toad becomes detached somehow. IMHO if you can afford a motorhome and toad, you can afford to equip it safely. Cutting corners on safety is not a great idea.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #17

Brakes on a towed vehicle may be subject to the laws of the state you traveling in. I am no lawyer. However, when driving into New Mexico from Colorado on I-25 a few years ago, there was an additional sign which specifically directed all towed vehicles to enter the inspection station. I don't know what the deal was, but the sign was there. It didn't affect us with a 5'er. My buddy a few miles behind us with a Class C pulling a CRV, pulled over and unhooked the CRV and his wife drove the CRV. On that trip, his Brake Buddy had quite working a couple of days prior. He installed a braking system shortly after getting home from that trip.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
to find out weather legal in your state call the local DOT office, most states go by the home state of reg rules, (found that out in kanas was over weight for not having a class b lic but my plates and lic are az were i am good)HOWEVER for piece of mind i would have one.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
to find out weather legal in your state call the local DOT office, most states go by the home state of reg rules, (found that out in kanas was over weight for not having a class b lic but my plates and lic are az were i am good)HOWEVER for piece of mind i would have one.
Licensing issues are reciprocal - if your license is good in your home state then it's good in all 50 states.
Other things, like vehicle length, weight, etc. are NOT reciprocal - your vehicle must be legal in the state it's being driven in.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #20

The "fine print" on the spec sheet for my 2006 Itasca states:

"If the trailer is not equipped with brakes that are activated when the motor home brakes are applied the GCWR = GVWR + 1,000 pounds. For purposes of this definition, the trailer can be a trailer, a vehicle towed on a dolly, or a vehicle towed by means of a tow bar."

The GVWR of my rig is 18,000 pounds, so adding 1000 lbs as stated above = 19,000 pounds. The loaded weight of rig is 17,000 so, according to Winnebago, I can tow only 2,000 lbs. without brakes, even though the GCWR on spec sheet is 26,000 pounds.

I tow a 2,800 lb. boat with my Tundra all the time without brakes and its no problem, but due to potential liability, and of course safety, my toad behind this Itasca will have brakes!
Dive in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
There’s legal but then there’s moral. In Oct 2015, we were sb on I-75 through KY. Two lanes sb, two lanes nb with a wide grassy median. I noticed several cars on the edge nb. Got closer and saw the backend of a car that had hit a tree. A quarter mile or so down the road was the mh with no toad. It had come detached crossed the median and both nb lanes. Appeared to miss all nb traffic. Could just as easily hit a family head on.

A brake system sure doesn’t guide it to a safe stop but it slows thing rapidly and should avoid a head on.
On a two lane road a total disconnect is just as likely to cause a head-on crash with or without brakes. Nobody can predict where either vehicle will end up.
Fact is, total disconnects are extremely rare and nobody still can point out an injury/death from it. With or without brakes.
Laws are laws. I am not suggesting breaking any. But if your argument is RV stopping distance and you tow a lightweight toad, lighten your RV cargo or drive with less fuel, water and empty dirty water tanks. That will accomplish the same.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #22

To answer your specific question and not pontificating about what ought to be, you are legal in Idaho (even if you live here) if your trailer (toad) is under 2000 lbs.
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
1650 lbs???? skip the aux brake thing... 3000 lbs is the limit in most states then you need aux brakes. What are you driving? a roller skate????
Some states are as low as 1500# and you have to meet the requirements of the states you travel through.

For the sake of safety for others on the road, you need a break away system as a minimum.

And as noted above, many RV manufacturers limit any towed load without a brake system to a maximum of 1000#

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #24
Dom

My smart car broke away safety cables held, BUT, was
only going 1 or 2 miles an hour, downhill. Did 4 thousand in damage to MH. Now - have a. Brake system
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Some states are as low as 1500# and you have to meet the requirements of the states you travel through.

For the sake of safety for others on the road, you need a break away system as a minimum.

And as noted above, many RV manufacturers limit any towed load without a brake system to a maximum of 1000#

Ken
Hmmm. Neither of my class A RVs ever said that. Weight is weight when it comes to stopping. You can have a variation easily of more than 1000# in fuel, water and waste water.
That's a new on me.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
My smart car broke away safety cables held, BUT, was
only going 1 or 2 miles an hour, downhill. Did 4 thousand in damage to MH. Now - have a. Brake system
I'd worry more about who installed your towbar to your car if it broke from your car going 2 mph and downhill to boot.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #27
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I'd worry more about who installed your towbar to your car if it broke from your car going 2 mph and downhill to boot.
Made a last minute decision (stupid) to turn off a road and way to sharp a turn.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #28

In a couple different Warning sections of my Motorhome's owners manual is a statement in bold print that reads

"Your motorhome braking system is designed and rated for operation at GVWR not GCWR"

That can be interpreted as anything being towed needs or should have supplemental braking.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad