Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Card3550 View Post
NEED SOME ADVISE HERE FROM SOME VETERAN RVrs

PLAN ON TOWING A F150 BEHIND A EMBARK(SUPER C)

WEIGHT OF MH IS OVER 33K, DO I NEED BRAKING SYSTOM ON THE F150
1) How heavy is your F-150? If you're towing over about 1200 lbs, a prudent man would install supplementary brakes.

2) Turn off your "caps lock". THAT'S CONSIDERED SHOUTING!!!!!!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #16

Yes to aux. brakes, & breakaway setup. If your towbar malfunctions do you want to be responsible for a 4000 lb truck careening about at 60 mph with no one at the wheel & no brakes? I use a brake buddy with no problems, I initally had it set up with too high sensitivity, it would brake toad on bad washboard roads & I could feel toad bucking. I backed off the sensitivity & problem solved.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
With a vehicle that heavy I think you will find all states require you to have working brakes.

I don't need the braking power with my rig, even on the steepest grades, so I set it to the lowest setting, but have it in case of a break-away. It's cheap insurance.

I use the Blue Ox Patriot, which has performed great over the last 3 years.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #18

I have always understood that if you have an accident without toad brakes your insurance co. can deny coverage.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Let me join the chorus.. YES.

Once the brakes lock, the formula for figuring out how fast the car or truck or motor home or _____ was going based upon skid marks DOES NOT INCLUDE the size of the vehicle.
Our DSDP on Spartan chassis has ABS so they won't lock, on the towed you're pushing against a dead peddle and they will lock up. Did it once with the '97 Jeep GC when an idiot who had just cut me off decided he wanted the off ramp we were just passing! Luckily I was already on the brakes due to his antics of a few seconds before!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
I have always understood that if you have an accident without toad brakes your insurance co. can deny coverage.
Well maybe - but I suggest not if one is compliant with the law in the juristiction of the accident. However:

I tow a Smart Car weighing 1840lbs. Most jurisdictions do not require brakes on such a light vehicle if it is within the GCWR. Nontheless, I use a Ready Brake because I can stop in less distance with it.

When I had large DP's I used an air activated BrakeMaster sytem on >3000lb toads. By having toad brakes, I could stop in less distance with the toad on than without it on. Go figure.

Toad brakes make stops in less distance and even if that distance is only one foot, it might mean the difference between life and death.

The bottom line for me is I have the toad brakes for safety, regardless if the law requires it or not. This just makes sense to me. Shorter stop capability is just better any way one looks at it.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used my brake buddy 30K miles it has not been problem free but then I could identify the problem and fix it easily in each case. Some I created myself. After first sort of resenting the time it took to hook it up, I actually timed it once and it was a paltry amount of time. I don't even think of it any longer if it needs to come out temporarily then it does and back in, it is easy. It was easier to change my attitude than it was to change the brake buddy.

Most importantly it saved our bacon when we needed it, and when it happens there is nothing but full braking resistance that will stop you soon enough. One foot to spare from 50 mph it happens so fast all you have is reflexes. I always wondered what it would be like to panic stop on a freeway and now I know. And the toad was an anchor, no question that it saved us from real harm.

That is why we put brakes on toads or anything else we are towing; to be as safe as possible. We figure we owe it to ourselves and everyone else.

If you have a brake on your tow you are legal in every state. And you have the capacity to stop as fast as your rig set up possibly can if need be.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #22

Here is a summary by state of towed vehicle brake requirements, with links to the state statutes:

Toad Brake Requirements
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Having read your other threads - A/C water drip, convection / micro coding, H20 heater drip, etc issues - and this, you have sure had a run of bad luck. I hope it turns around for you soon. Can be frustrating, especially with a new coach. Good luck! And on topic - I still suggest aux breaks on toad. Something had to have either been installed incorrectly or failed. That is a pretty common system with many on the road. Again Good Luck.
To the contrary, I have had very few problems with any of the 4 MH I have owned. I have posted here asking questions about the few problems I have had. I guess I have posted too often and it has bothered some like you. Sorry, I will try to find answers elsewhere in the future.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt

To the contrary, I have had very few problems with any of the 4 MH I have owned. I have posted here asking questions about the few problems I have had. I guess I have posted too often and it has bothered some like you. Sorry, I will try to find answers elsewhere in the future.
Wow - really - I show interest in the issues you posted about - hope it turns around and wish you luck and you think I was bothered. I did not post to the other threads because I didn't have answers - but the aux brake issue is both disturbing and surprising. I wish you would have posted what the issue turned out to be with the brakes. Sorry if my post bent your crank shaft, wasn't intended that way. I still wish you luck and would like to know what went wrong with brakes - install or failure - cause it's not designed to do that. And I also wasn't demeaning your coach. I'm sure it's lovely and just getting shaken out. Like I said - it can be frustrating.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric65 View Post
Why take a chance without braking it is cheap insurance you wouldn't drive a car without them so why tow without them . Just my 2cents
Right you are!
I would NEVER tow if my coach brakes are NOT WORKING... (and I would NEVER drive my toad if it's brakes where NOT working).

However, since the combined weight of my loaded coach and toad is LESS than the GVWR, (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), of my coach, I use no auxiliary brake system in/on/for my '07 Saturn ION toad.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coming into Virginia from N.Carolina on I-77 on a downgrade. Rounded a bend at 45 mph to find all three lanes at a complete stop. My toad is 4500 #s. I stood on the brakes and stopped less than a car length away from an SUV with several kids in it. I think I might have not had that outcome without toad brakes. So, IMO only a fool would tow without them.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #27

Ditto above. Yes, most states require it....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
However, since the combined weight of my loaded coach and toad is LESS than the GVWR, (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), of my coach, I use no auxiliary brake system in/on/for my '07 Saturn ION toad.
Interesting rationalization, but the fact remains that your rig will stop in a shorter distance WITH toad brakes than WITHOUT them.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad