Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
There cannot be any insurance question in this scenario - the coach brakes are rated to stop the coach GVWR and the total load is less than that.
Not true, the coach brakes are rated to stop the Max GVW plus 2,000 pounds, not the Max GCVW,

The standard is 2,000 pounds over coach weight

So any trailer with 2,000 pounds or more GVW normally has brakes. Any towed should as well

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #44

Exclamation Auxilliary brake saved our coach

Our Brake Buddy saved our tow car from slamming into the coach when our tow bar broke due to metal fatigue 2 summers ago. We were able to stop on a 2 lane road thanks to the braking system. We traded our 10 year old Brake Buddy for a new one this summer and when a dope decided to make a turn on a 2 lane road without signaling and we had little room to manuver, it saved us from slamming into this car. We have had an auxilliary sytem ever since we started towing and wouldn't go any where without it. A little money for peace of mind.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
It's kind of like the Bill Clinton story. It depends on what your definition of is, is. Exchange the word is for the word need. It depends on what your definition of need is. If you need to stop sooner than later, you need it. If you need to stop your run-away vehicle in case it breaks free, you need it. If you need to reduce your potential liability in the case of an accident, you need it.

If you need to live life by the seat of your pants and throw caution to the wind, you don't need it. It all depends on how you define your needs!

When I was younger, I drank and drove many times and never worried that I might kill myself or someone else. As I have gotten older, I worry more about dying or killing someone else. Over time, you tend to change the definition of your own needs.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
No one seems to mention the obvious...unless you're all a bunch of lawyers ;<) If you are ever in an accident do you want to face a jury when the attorney for the other side asks you why you didn't have such easily available and affordable safety device?? After all you had an accident that possibly could have been avoided had you employed this (usually required by law) auxiliary braking system. Two rules for me....NEVER tow our toad without the auxiliary brake and NEVER, NEVER attempt to back up...not even a foot with the toad attached.... unless you want to make the repair shops even richer.... happy travels.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another point in favor of aux-brakes......

IN another thread someone finally asked the right question. This cause me to do some quick research.. This is what I found, This is from the Michigan Vehicle Code:

257.73 “Trailer” defined.
Sec. 73.
“Trailer” means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a
pole-trailer, designed for carrying property or persons and for being
drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight
rests upon the towing vehicle.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 .

As I read this it means that a car, in tow, is a trailer, under the law.

Elsewhere in the Vehicle code it says any trailer over xxxx pounds MUST have brakes

(The XXXX varies from state to state) so my 1992. Lumina APV, 4,000 curb weight, plus base plate and Remco half axle, MUST have aux brakes in all 50 states. (Texas the law says under 4000 I don't need 'em, but with the modes for towing, it's over 4,000 so I do)
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #48

I was in a serious accident a couple of months ago in Georga; (about $20,000 damage) there were three police crusers investigating the accident; None asked me if I had brakes on my toad; It was damaged also as it was hooked to the motorhome and was hit also.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just because the officers do not ask does not mean a sharp lawyer may not ask.

And when he does.. You better say you got 'em

Story: Some years ago a lawyer was driving, well under the speed limit, on the Ohio Turnpike (As I recall) and a semi driver was trying to pass him, Well, as traffic in the other lane cleared the driver would speed up, but by the time he got to where the poke-along-charley was there would be more traffic in the left lane.. So he'd drop back and try again.. Well.. finally he made it past the jerk.

Only to get served with a summons.. The lawyer said things like: He was waving that big semi around back there like a loaded cannon

And got 1/2 million per person in his car for "Reckless Endangerment"

(Photos of the lawyer's car along with his license plate number went up in truck stops from coast to coast with the legeng "If he's poaking along in front of you don't slow down and DO NOT SWERVE!)

Bottom line.. With inflation.. I'd go for a cool million per head now days..

If, that is, you don't have brakes.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #50

Lawyers will sue for anything; look at one crooked and get sued.
If a lawyer decides to sue you I'm afraid your brakes won't prevent it; guaranteed they can and will find something. the above story proves it.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #51
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
it's too bad that 99% of lawyers give that other 1% a bad name.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
it's too bad that 99% of lawyers give that other 1% a bad name.
I have been to hundreds of campgrounds; I can also say that %1 of the campground hosts give the other %99 a bad name (to me). Sorry I just had to say that. I have met some realy obnoxious hosts.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #53
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I totaly agree.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #54

You will be sued whether or not you have aux brakes. Anytime you are involved in an accident you will be sued.

My insurance agent said he had no problem with my tow dolly not having aux brakes. I wish I had brakes on the dolly but I don't. I tow a Honda Accord and have made a few panic stops. Aside from contents of the MH flying around I stopped in time. Could I have stopped sooner with aux brakes? Sure. I could have stopped sooner without a toad, or a smaller MH, too.

I say whatever makes you safer you should do. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited funds. After purchasing my first MH, new tires, tow dolly, and minor repairs my budget is spent. Soon I will invest in a 4 down toad with brakes. But for now I deal with what I have.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #55

Towing Anything W/O Brakes

I would like to add my two cents here. There is a simple answer for the question of towing anything without brakes. I suggest anyone that thinks it is safe to tow any vehicle behind them without brakes to do the following.

Jump out of an airplane without a parachute (Brakes) and then come back and post how safe it was.

rops
Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #56
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
My insurance agent said he had no problem with my tow dolly not having aux brakes.
nalcon, There are many states where towing anything without brakes is in violation of the law. Regardless of who gets sued if you can stop your vehicle 1 foot shorter and not get into a situation where your vehicle struck another you could be saving some one else's life. I would hope that you care as much for your own and that of your traveling family or companions.