Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #71
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
In the majority of states, auxilliary brakes are required on a vehicle being towed behind a MH regardless of how people attempt to define the wording of the law(s) in question. I agree with the common sense need for such laws and therefore I have auxilliary braking. I don't want anything usually exceeding 2000+ lbs behind my rig depending on my rigs brakes to assist in stopping it. The rig will have enough problems in stopping its own weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #72

If you drive in the mountains and have to brake suddenly on a steep grade what is going to stop your toad from hitting your coach if you don't have toad brakes? This also applies to just about any other panic stop. I have to drive down steep grades, up to 16%, every time I go anywhere. Plus an emergency brake away brake is always a good thing to have in todays litigious society.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #73

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
Lawyers will sue for anything; look at one crooked and get sued.
If a lawyer decides to sue you I'm afraid your brakes won't prevent it; guaranteed they can and will find something. the above story proves it.

One thing to remember is for every lawyer who wins in court... Another l the lawyers are good people.

The difference that aux brakes makes in this case is two fold

1: No aux brakes,, The lawyer who sues you has a much easier job

2: And a much bigger settlement

So play safe

After all, says the stork.. Accidents cause people.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #74

Ok ----Question?? how many persons on these posts have been arrested for not haveing brakes on your toad?
Second question?? how many have been sued and lost because they didn't have brakes on their toads?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say none.

Comon guys lets be honest.
I'll repeat---I'll be the last to say brakes on a toad are not good.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #75

If your toad brakes loose and you do not have toad brakes and are in a state that requires such and if that toad wipes out a family good luck. If the major accident team decides lives could have been saved if the toad had brakes good luck.

I saw my friends jeep and MH after he stopped on a steep downgrade without brakes, funny.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
If your toad brakes loose and you do not have toad brakes and are in a state that requires such and if that toad wipes out a family good luck. If the major accident team decides lives could have been saved if the toad had brakes good luck.

I saw my friends jeep and MH after he stopped on a steep downgrade without brakes, funny.
good analigy

now for the question
Question'#1 How many accidents have there been with a toad with brakes?
How many, without toad brakes ?
In my twenty five years and a half million miles of travel; I can honestly say I have never seen one.
anyone have a newspaper article discribing one?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #77

A lot!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
good analigy

now for the question
Question'#1 How many accidents have there been with a toad with brakes?
How many, without toad brakes ?
In my twenty five years and a half million miles of travel; I can honestly say I have never seen one.
anyone have a newspaper article discribing one?
I can see your a gamblin man. I did it to maximize my ability to stop and possibly avoid diaster. I have only about 20k in motorhomes but on my first expierence towing my first 22' trailer my electric brakes went out and I almost plowed into an 18 wheeler in Flagstaff AZ, but luckly the shoulder was big enough so I used it instead of hitting the truck.

I understand your reasoning to justify a purchase by looking at the statestics of accidents, but perhaps you should be thinking about your saftey and a piece of mind knowing that you are doing everything you can to be safe. If you were ever in an accdent (and I hope that you are not) at least you know whever you are you are within the law and did everthing you could to protect yourself and your family, not to mention others.

I also reasearch to make sure that I need it, and if I do I reasearch and compare products and prices like everyone does.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I can see your a gamblin man. I did it to maximize my ability to stop and possibly avoid diaster. I have only about 20k in motorhomes but on my first expierence towing my first 22' trailer my electric brakes went out and I almost plowed into an 18 wheeler in Flagstaff AZ, but luckly the shoulder was big enough so I used it instead of hitting the truck.

I understand your reasoning to justify a purchase by looking at the statestics of accidents, but perhaps you should be thinking about your saftey and a piece of mind knowing that you are doing everything you can to be safe. If you were ever in an accdent (and I hope that you are not) at least you know whever you are you are within the law and did everthing you could to protect yourself and your family, not to mention others.

I also reasearch to make sure that I need it, and if I do I reasearch and compare products and prices like everyone does.
Nope not a gamblin man; but I am an engineer and as such I have a courious mind and in this case I would like to see some statics.
For about the fourth time I do not think brakes are unnecessary, just show me some facts, not something someone just made up.
Manufactures will hipe a product to sell it.
pulling a trailer with a truck is a whole dirfferent ballgame. I wouldn't huck a trailer behind my truck if it didn't have brakes. (I had a trailer before I bought my motorhomes' (pulled it from Pa. to florida)
Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Nope not a gamblin man; but I am an engineer and as such I have a courious mind and in this case I would like to see some statics.
For about the fourth time I do not think brakes are unnecessary, just show me some facts, not something someone just made up.
Manufactures will hipe a product to sell it.
pulling a trailer with a truck is a whole dirfferent ballgame. I wouldn't huck a trailer behind my truck if it didn't have brakes. (I had a trailer before I bought my motorhomes' (pulled it from Pa. to florida)
I understand your curious mind Robert but, where would you go to get the stats if they are even kept. The only place that I would think that you could start your search would be an updated law library. If you do find something I would be interested in your findings...you have me curious now. Anyway I purchased mine for the reason that I explained.

Good luck in your quest
Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #81

They have statics for drunk driver accidents; for 18 wheel acidents; celphone accidents; side crash accidents; you got the idea. Somewhere there must be some statics on motorhome accidents. I;m pretty sure the insurance companies have this type of information.

OK guys:
Question? Anyone out there work for an insurance company?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
robert h - You go girl! After reading this entire thread, I think you have pretty well exposed all the emotional fact-less based opinions that could possibly be out there on this subject. I especially like the posts that cite laws that don't exist and those that threaten law suits if you rear-end them. Makes for interesting reading.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
robert h - You go girl! After reading this entire thread, I think you have pretty well exposed all the emotional fact-less based opinions that could possibly be out there on this subject. I especially like the posts that cite laws that don't exist and those that threaten law suits if you rear-end them. Makes for interesting reading.
Thanks Dands;
You have made my day.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Just yesterday traveling south on I-25 in Colorado Springs a toad became disconnected from a motorhome and luckily it had break away brake activation. It happened on a left hand curve with the motorhome in the right-hand lane so the toad while braking itself continued straight ahead and due to the curve ran into the right hand guard rail. It stopped by itself without hitting anything else.

We were driving by just after it happened. The toad was jammed up against the guard rail and the motorhome had just stopped a few hundred yards down the road. The tow bar appeared to be intact still attached to the motorhome. It was dragging on the ground along with the safety cables so it appeared something must have come loose on the toad itself.

So even if weight isn't an issue this guys aux. brakes definitely paid for themselves in this case. Also, checking everything, including making sure all bolts and nuts are tight is a must do.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote