Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Just yesterday traveling south on I-25 in Colorado Springs a toad became disconnected from a motorhome and luckily it had break away brake activation. It happened on a left hand curve with the motorhome in the right-hand lane so the toad while braking itself continued straight ahead and due to the curve ran into the right hand guard rail. It stopped by itself without hitting anything else.

We were driving by just after it happened. The toad was jammed up against the guard rail and the motorhome had just stopped a few hundred yards down the road. The tow bar appeared to be intact still attached to the motorhome. It was dragging on the ground along with the safety cables so it appeared something must have come loose on the toad itself.

So even if weight isn't an issue this guys aux. brakes definitely paid for themselves in this case. Also, checking everything, including making sure all bolts and nuts are tight is a must do.
A lot of people use safety cables; myself I prefer chains; never did trust those cables.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #86

That you are an Engineer surprises me. What is your discipline?

Physics 101:
Things that are in motion tend to stay in motion.

The greater the mass in motion, the greater the influence must be to stop it.

Also an Engineer, there is no doubt in my mind that auxilliary brakes are a good thing. Doing without is not.

Don't need statistics. Common sense will do.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
That you are an Engineer surprises me. What is your discipline?

Physics 101:
Things that are in motion tend to stay in motion.

Also an Engineer, there is no doubt in my mind that auxilliary brakes are a good thing. Doing without is not.

Don't need statistics. Common sense will do.
Thats what keeps this post going.

Quote:
(The greater the mass in motion the greater the influence must be to stop it.)
If you repeat something long, and often enough; (you and everyone else,) will begin to believe it.
true or not.
this is not newtons law; just my observation.
As to my discipiline; go back and read some previous posts;
As to what I did; the list is way to long; I was in the space program. enough said.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #88

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
Quote:
(The greater the mass in motion the greater the influence must be to stop it.)
If you repeat something long, and often enough; (you and everyone else,) will begin to believe it.
true or not.
this is not newtons law; just my observation.
Robert,

Just to try to understand your last few statements:

Are you saying that you are an engineer yet don't believe that E(k) = 1/2 * m * V^2 ???

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Robert,

Just to try to understand your last few statements:

Are you saying that you are an engineer yet don't believe that E(k) = 1/2 * m * V^2 ???

Rusty

Out of the mouths of babes comes (not sure what) I'm sure this is waaaay off topic.
maybe its time to shut down this post; it;s pretty much ran its course.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #90

Texas Boomers Club
No, Robert, it's not off topic at all. It's the fundamental principle underlying the need for auxiliary braking. So, as an engineer, do you or don't you subscribe to the kinetic energy equation I posted?

Rusty
Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #91

Quote:
No, Robert, it's not off topic at all. It's the fundamental principle underlying the need for auxiliary braking. So, as an engineer, do you or don't you subscribe to the kinetic energy equation I posted?

Rusty
nope; don't make sence to me.

I'll post the question to the rest of the folks following these posts:

Does the equation that Rusty)C;560373) posted; make sence to anyone?
Jump right in folks; this should be interesting.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #92

Texas Boomers Club
The equation I cited is merely the restatement of rmmpe's earlier statement (reposted below) in Newtonian physical terms:

Quote:
The equation says that the kinetic energy of a mass (m) traveling at velocity (v) is equal to one half the mass (m) times the velocity (v) squared. In other words, the greater the mass in motion at a given velocity, the more kinetic energy it has.

To put it in real world terms, a 40,000 lb bus traveling at 60 MPH would have 10 times the kinetic energy of a 4,000 lb car traveling at 60 MPH.

You're an engineer and that doesn't make sense to you???

Rusty
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #93

Quote:
The equation I cited is merely the restatement of rmmpe's earlier statement (reposted below) in Newtonian physical terms:

The equation says that the kinetic energy of a mass (m) traveling at velocity (v) is equal to one half the mass (m) times the velocity (v) squared. In other words, the greater the mass in motion at a given velocity, the more kinetic energy it has.

To put it in real world terms, a 40,000 lb bus traveling at 60 MPH would have 10 times the kinetic energy of a 4,000 lb car traveling at 60 MPH.

You're an engineer and that doesn't make sense to you???

Rusty

Heres the straight skinny folks; couldn;t be much simpler than this.

Kinetic Energy Equations and Formulas Calculator
Science Physics
Solving For Kinetic Energy

Inputs:
mass (m) kilogram grain gram milligram pound slug ton long ton metric ton short velocity (v) meter/second centimeter/hour centimeter/second foot/day foot/second inch/hour inch/second kilometer/second knot mach sea level 15 C meter/day mile/hour mile/second millimeter/second speed of light in vacuum yard/second.

Plug in the numbers and have a ball.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #94

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.... in addition to all the other reasons I had a "Happening" Monday..

Read all about it in the nearby thread Hitch Troubles which can be fround by clicking right here.

I have, from time to time, mentioned the US-Gear brake system

I'm very very glad I have it installed on my coach and towed.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #95

Question? Rusty

Does anyone realy care; I don't. I've never tried to impress anyone; I can Emc2 all day long; but who cares about that stuff; I quite all that when I retired.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Unless, that is, it's weight is resting on another vehicle, in which case that vehicle may well be a trailer. (if it is towed).
wa8yxm, In some jurisdictions a car being towed on a dolly is a triple.

I agree with you in that anything towed behind a powered vehicle is a trailer.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #97

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
Question? Rusty

Does anyone realy care; I don't. I've never tried to impress anyone; I can Emc2 all day long; but who cares about that stuff; I quite all that when I retired.
Robert,

As an engineer, you would know that "that stuff" describes the behavior of physical bodies (motorhomes and toads). It has nothing to do with ego, but rather has everything to do with the energy of a motorhome and toad traveling down the road and how much kinetic energy must be dissipated to stop it in a given distance or at a given rate of deceleration.

The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy that has to be dissipated as heat, and that means that more braking surface area is your friend.

Rusty
Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #98

Quote:
Robert,

As an engineer, you would know that "that stuff" describes the behavior of physical bodies (motorhomes and toads). It has nothing to do with ego, but rather has everything to do with the energy of a motorhome and toad traveling down the road and how much kinetic energy must be dissipated to stop it in a given distance or at a given rate of deceleration.

The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy that has to be dissipated as heat, and that means that more braking surface area is your friend.

Rusty
Beam me up captan; The natives here are hostel.