Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Do miles accumulate on a toad when being pulled four down?

Hi Folks. I have been on this site many times and I find it very informative. This is my first post and I have a question about towing four down that I haven't seen on here before. Do miles accumulate on the odometer of a vehicle being towed four down? If so, do they also accumulate on a front wheel drive vehicle being towed on a dolly? If I keep my car five years and tow it 6,000 miles annually, that is a difference of 30,000 miles which could dramatically affect the trade in value. Any and all comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

life2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Don't know about other toads, but our 03 Suzuki XL 7 doesn't accumulate miles on the odometer while being towed 4 down.

Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Typically the answer is no, the odometer is not engaged when towing. The transmission has to be "spinning" for the odometer to be active. While towing four down, transmission is in neutral or drive train is disengaged. While towing on a dolly, the drive wheels are not spinning.

Welcome to the forum!

2015 Forest River, Berkshire 38RB
Freightliner Chassis
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 94 Honda Accord that we tow and it does not accumulate milage when towing. I suspect depending on the age of the vehicle and weather it has an electronic speedometer is the determining factor.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The correct answer is that it depends on the vehicle. Many vehicles use sensors in the wheels which double as speed sensors and work with the traction control system. Some have sensors in other locations. Bottom line, you will have to figure this out for your specific vehicle. If the manufacturer recommends pulling a fuse during towing, chances are that that fuse stops the miles from accumulating...and possibly the battery from draining.

I doubt that a front-wheel drive car on a dolly will count miles.

I would caution you to make SURE your car can be safely towed four wheels down. The list of vehicles that can be towed this way is short. Some vehicles can be modified for such towing and some can NOT. There are also a significant number of vehicles which can NOT be towed on a tow dolly (front wheels up, rear down).

Our previous tow, a Volkswagen Cabrio, accumulated mileage (because i didn't bother to pull the recommended fuse). When I replaced it with a new car I did so from the very short list of cars where 4 wheels down towing is specifically supported by the manufacturer (so the Warranty would not be affected).

Our Chevy Equinox does not count miles...but ONLY if you remove the fuse recommended by Chevy AND put the key in the Accessory (Not Ignition On) position. I installed a TowDaddy AutoFuse kit to automatically disconnect this fuse when the car is plugged into the motorhome...I could not be happier with the results!
Bobby & Darrell Mukaisu
2005 Monaco Windsor 40PST 400HP ISL Cummins
2014 Chevy Equinox LS - Full Timers Since 10/1/2010 and Loving it!
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Our previous toad, a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and our current toad, a 2012 Ford Flex did/do not accumlate mileage while towing 4 down. There are lots of choices for 4 down towing, but as others have pointed out, you need to check with the manufacturer if the vehicle can/cannot be towed 4 down. DO NOT go by what a dealer says as most of them do not know! Most owners manuals will state if the vehicle can/cannot be.

Here is a good article from Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Fever

Motorhome Magazine publishes a dinghy towin guide each year. You can download a copy back to 2000 for a small fee. The guide contains a list of each manufacturer and the models that can be towed 4 down. Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote