Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater
The OP was not asking for opinion of how he should tow. Crawling under your vehicle and unbolting the drive shaft is really not very handy as well, especially when you stop in a town and unhook to have a look around. We who chose to flat tow do so for a reason.
But, having to tow the car to a dealership to have the tranny fluid brought back to its normal level everytime you stop is? I personally would not drive a car around on a less than normal charge of fluid .

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I flat tow a 2007 Ford Explorer and I couldn't find a better toad. It's been towed a little over 50K miles back and forth across this country with NO problems. When I bought the Explorer I had the dealer install the neutral switch in the tranny and it's been clear sailing since. With the older Explorers you don't have to worry about a "60 MPH" speed limit or any kind of mileage limit. These are two important things to me since I usually set my cruise at 69 and I may drive 6 or 700 miles a day when we are going someplace.

For me Ford has worked out real well.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
But, having to tow the car to a dealership to have the tranny fluid brought back to its normal level everytime you stop is? I personally would not drive a car around on a less than normal charge of fluid .
Once the fluid level is reduced there is no need to change it after that. I really have no further to add.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #32

Follow-up to OP.....very good info regarding status of your situation. Of course, we all hope you get it solved. And it seems that several folks here have chimed in with some good thoughts regarding solutions.

I do not claim to be knowledgeable on all the toad braking systems available, but I would say you have a whole lot of "moving parts" in the equation here that need to be considered. Brakes just don't burn up for no reason. They just don't. Under the conditions you described, turning rotors and replacing pads is the repair resulting from a problem....but they are NOT the source of the problem. Something else is the problem, and it needs to be identified. Your call. But, IMHO, until you go back through all of your "moving parts" looking for the real culprit, you really haven't solved or changed anything.

There are several simple diagnostic tests that the Ford Service folks can run to determine if the source lies within the Escape's braking system. They are very straightforward tests and very definitive. If the tests do not identify a vehicle problem, then what objective conclusion can be drawn? This question would seem to be rather important considering that you said that you had no apparent brake issues prior to towing the vehicle.

By the way, it is not uncommon at all for right front pads, especially the inner ones, to wear somewhat faster than the left ones...even under normal circumstances. It can and does happen for a lot of wierd reasons too long to discuss here. "Old Timer" brake techs know this is so. In any event, sure hope you get it sorted out....thanks again for keeping us in the loop.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #33

Is this really what has to be done to tow a Escape? I'm not whining or complaining this is something I need to know for the future...Sooo it's not as simple as spending the money on a Blue OX system adding Air FOrce One braking system (or some other please recommend). The fluid levels need to be adjusted??? Switches installed? Anything else? Can someone point me in the right direction of where I would find a list of the easiest/simplest/idiot proof toads.
Thanks.
Chris
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Is this really what has to be done to tow a Escape? I'm not whining or complaining this is something I need to know for the future...Sooo it's not as simple as spending the money on a Blue OX system adding Air FOrce One braking system (or some other please recommend). The fluid levels need to be adjusted??? Switches installed? Anything else? Can someone point me in the right direction of where I would find a list of the easiest/simplest/idiot proof toads.
Thanks.
Chris
My suggestion on this is to pick a vehicle that you may have in mind and go to remcotowing.com and input the year, make and model into their system. It will come up with what you need to tow a particular vehicle and if nothing is needed it will tell you that as well.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
My suggestion on this is to pick a vehicle that you may have in mind and go to remcotowing.com and input the year, make and model into their system. It will come up with what you need to tow a particular vehicle and if nothing is needed it will tell you that as well.
Thanks I just when there and they said....
Application Notes

Towable as is. Refer to owners manual for confirmation and procedures.

Remco Towing Products Available
Remco Base Plate

Description:
Remco Base Plate
Part #:
Vehicle Specific Call Remco

Price:
$430.00

Remco Tow Bar

Description:
Aventa LX Tow Bar #10,000 lb. Rated, Class IV (Blue Ox)
Part #:

Price:
$845.00

Remco Carguard

Description:
Remco Carguard
Part #:

Price:
$475.00

Remco Accessories

Product:
Adjustable Drop Reciever
Part #:

Price:
$180.00

Product:
Basic Tail Light Kit
Part #:
10010022 (Diodes), 10020023 (Bulb & Socket)

Price:
$110.00

Product:
Four Wire Combo Light Kit (TLWK, Combo, 4-Cond.)
Part #:

Price:
$149.00

Product:
Safety Cables (7',10,000 lb. Rated) Blue Ox
Part #:

Price:
$100.00

Product:
Safety Cables (7',5,000 lb. Rated) Blue Ox
Part #:

Price:
$70.00

Remco Wireless Taillights

Product:
22" Wireless Taillights w/ magnets
Part #:

Price:
$395.00

Product:
22" Wireless Taillights w/ Suction
Part #:

Price:
$395.00

Time to get out the manual.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #36

I towed a 2008 Mercury Mariner HYBRID for 14000 miles over a six month period. This is the same vehicle as a Ford Escape HYBRID. I had zero problems and would do it again in a heartbeat. [Moderator Edit].
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Thanks.
Chris
Look for a Jeep, I've towed my 04' GC for 40K miles with the M&G braking system with 0 problems.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #38

To avoid dragging brakes issues with my brake buddy I just use a short bungee cord from the brake pedal to the lip of the dash. It keeps enough pull back tension on the pedal to avoid any dragging caused by the bb linkage.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by asodergren View Post
I towed a 2008 Mercury Mariner HYBRID for 14000 miles over a six month period. This is the same vehicle as a Ford Escape HYBRID. I had zero problems and would do it again in a heartbeat. [Moderator Edit].
Hybrids are a totally different transmission. They have not had any transmission problems. However there are requirements to tow a hybrid because of their active braking system. Do you not have to pull fuses to defeat the braking system. My understanding is that the brakes remain "powered" even though the engine is not running but with the key on to unlock the steering. Non hybrid braking is not powered when the key is in the unlocked position and are simply manual.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
To the OP, what transmission do you have in your Escape?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I'd be looking at the braking system. My braking system (TOAD STOP) is an electrically operated proportional vacuum system that does not require adjustment every time we connect. I'm so glad I spent hours and hours researching my braking system...I've avoided any and all braking issues and have had no operator errors with my Ford Edge Toad.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford fusion 2010

we tow 4 down . We have thousands of miles no problems yet.
It is quite possibble that it is your brake system what would towing do to burn out brake if car in neutral and emerg off????
Don

Tags
ford, toad