Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
To the OP, what transmission do you have in your Escape?
The six speed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #44

Update on Ford Escape from Service Manager

After talking to several service advisors, the service manager called yesterday. He said the calipers needed to be replaced in addition to the pads and they had to order out of Detroit. We went over hook up procedures and the use of the brake buddy and he said it seems I followed procedures and took all the precautions. He said he had never seen a brake pad that looked almost vaporized - turned to powder. He said they checked the hydraulics and they were working fine. One issue I stumbled across was that I towed the car with the key in the accessory position as I had done with a jeep. Some research I did indicated Ford is different - the key is actually to be turned to the off position after shifting to neutral because the steering column will not lock unless the key is removed - on my jeeps, had to stay in the ACC position to keep the steering column unlocked. I asked if the key in that position could have left some electronics working that impacted the brakes, but he said he didn't think so, but would check it. I was hoping to get my car back yesterday, but decided to let them keep it to do the engine repair and fully check out the brakes. He also said they would reduce the trans fluid at no charge and agreed it was dumb that Ford wouldn't cover that under warranty. We'll see how it works out.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #45
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxgolfer View Post
I'll admit, I got sucked in by Ford. My old Liberty was having problems, and I went with the 2012 Ford Escape because of gas mileage and overall design. What a mistake. I towed it for the first time last week - 400 miles from Virginia to Columbia, SC. I treated it like a baby, followed all the user manual instructions - let the engine run before leaving, shifted through gears, put in neutral, etc. Bottom line is that the brakes burned out on the trip, despite my brake buddy not activating more than two or three times. I was careful to make sure the brake lights were not on, indicating a too snug of a fit for the brake buddy, and the indicator light inside my MH only activated two or three times the entire trip. I never got over 62 MPH and at two or three rest stops, I cranked the car and shifted through gears - over and beyond what's required in the user manual.
This is not a remarkable story. The Brake Buddy I was using fried the brakes on my Chevrolet Cavalier. There is something in-common between your story and mine and that is the auxiliary brake. I went through 3 generations of Brake Buddy ... now using SMI Stay and Play DUO, 2nd generation.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #46

A new vehicle warranty, as issued by virtually ALL OEM vehicle manufacturers, is responsible for repairing defects in material or wormanship during manufacture of the specific product. As such, Ford is not legally responsible under its warranty coverage for reducing your trans fluid to meet your specific towing needs since their is no defect in material or wormanship that applies. They are doing it, it seems, as a goodwill adjustment to accomodate your situation. Since, as you've said, the Ford techs cannot find a defect in material or workmanship in the Escape's brake system, they are, I assume, covering the brake repair costs for the same reason....to help you.

When calipers need to be replaced at only 6,000 miles, the caliper's pistons/internal seals/etc. inside are usually destroyed by heat....incredible heat. Heat sustained and high enough to turn the discs orange, even red, as the miles go by. Very common on race cars and superbike motorcycles. Hence, no surprise that the Escape's pads were turned to powder....no surprise at all. And something activated those calipers to produce that kind of damage. As you stated earlier, none of this had occured prior to your towing the vehicle. And therin IMHO lies the problem.

Believe it or not, I think most posters here, by sharing their experiences, are really trying to help 'cause some of us have been down this rocky road before. It usually ain't fun....and it is almost never cheap. Again, appreciate your keeping us updated....thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
This is not a remarkable story. The Brake Buddy I was using fried the brakes on my Chevrolet Cavalier. There is something in-common between your story and mine and that is the auxiliary brake. I went through 3 generations of Brake Buddy ... now using SMI Stay and Play DUO, 2nd generation.
Same problem on my Cavalier. As I said in an earlier post a bungee cord pulling on the brake pedal prevented that from happening again.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I totally agree with Stillwater. I've towed an explorer with no problems but it is a different veh./transmission and the neuteral switch doesn't apply to an Escape. I bought the 2010 Escape for the better mileage and lighter weight to tow. The dealership knew I was going to tow it 4 down (necessary w/4 wheel drive) and were more than happy to set the fluid level per the bulletin. I do however have to remind any service department NOT to top off the transmission fluid and I visited with one Escape owner that had to have 2 transmissions replaced (under warranty) and he thinks that the second one was because a dealership unkowingly topped off the fluid.
I'm using M & G Brake system. Hope this helps,
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #49

Soooooooooo....let me just get this straight there is no adjustment with the hybrid escapes transmission. Correct?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Soooooooooo....let me just get this straight there is no adjustment with the hybrid escapes transmission. Correct?
Thanks
Correct. I towed a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid by simply placing the transmission in neutral and the key back to the off position. 14,000 miles, no problem whatsoever. As far as the brakes are concerned, I used a Brakemaster 9160 with a Roadmaster pressure reducer. The pressure reducer was a requirement. I also had no brake issues. The Hybrids make great toads. Escape, Mariner and Mazda Tribute Hybrids are all basically the same car.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #51

Awsome, thanks for the help!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Ok, I'd like to say this about that. That TSB is service that they recommend that the OWNER do if towing the vehicle. Why would you expect that to fall under warranty coverage? They also provide recommended tire pressure, oil change interval, etc...and those are also not covered under warranty. There are simply some maintenance items that are clearly the owner's responsibility.
You are incorrect, the TSB specifically states
"Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”.

And, with it being advised by Ford to have this done both in the TSB and the Escape Service and Owners manual, I have not been charged to have this procedure done. Your comparisons are night/day different as to the fluid level check vs tire etc etc checks.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting thread - It started with the OP lambasting the Ford Escape as a tow vehicle because his brakes burned out while towing, which probably has nothing to do with towing other than maybe his brake buddy set-up. Then he adds the TSB info on reducing transmission fluid level which really has nothing to do with the brake problem. I personally love my Escape and it tows fine so guess I'll take this thread for what it is.....interesting reading.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #54
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2camp View Post
You are incorrect, the TSB specifically states
"Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”.

And, with it being advised by Ford to have this done both in the TSB and the Escape Service and Owners manual, I have not been charged to have this procedure done. Your comparisons are night/day different as to the fluid level check vs tire etc etc checks.
Seems like a legalize statement to me.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Time to get out the manual.
You can download Ford manuals free of charge here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The brake problem would have been caught very quickly with an IR gun.

I check all tires every time I stop. Dragging brakes would have caused a big increase in temps and would have been possibly corrected before too much damage was done.

I think the O.P. might want to get an IR gun and check out how everything is working after the repairs are done.
Bad enough going through this hassle once, let alone twice.

Hope everything works out OK for you.

Tags
ford, toad