Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Do NOT buy a Ford Escape to use as a toad

I'll admit, I got sucked in by Ford. My old Liberty was having problems, and I went with the 2012 Ford Escape because of gas mileage and overall design. What a mistake. I towed it for the first time last week - 400 miles from Virginia to Columbia, SC. I treated it like a baby, followed all the user manual instructions - let the engine run before leaving, shifted through gears, put in neutral, etc. Bottom line is that the brakes burned out on the trip, despite my brake buddy not activating more than two or three times. I was careful to make sure the brake lights were not on, indicating a too snug of a fit for the brake buddy, and the indicator light inside my MH only activated two or three times the entire trip. I never got over 62 MPH and at two or three rest stops, I cranked the car and shifted through gears - over and beyond what's required in the user manual.

The Escape is in the shop to have rotors turned and new pads. Amazing. While in the shop, I asked them to refer to TSB 11-7-15 which indicates the transmission fluid level should be reduced for towing. The local dealer said that wasn't covered under warranty. I appealed to Ford customer service and they again said NO, it was only a recommendation. I said, "let me get this straight, you won't pay for that recommended service, but you will pay $4,000 for a new transmission if I don't have it done and end up blowing the transmission?" They said "that's correct." I said fine, you can buy me a new transmission in a few months. This makes NO business sense, but it's what I've come to expect from Ford.

Do yourself a favor, if you want a tow vehicle, look beyond Ford. In hindsight, I would have bought another Jeep - I'd previously towed two others prior to the Liberty, and never had the first issue. Ford makes nice cars and SUVs and markets some as towable four wheels down, but they are simply not rugged enough as is the Jeep.

To make matters worse, since I got the Escape, one son has bought a F-150 and another bought an Explorer. I would have influenced them into something else had a know how shoddy their products can be. My second bad experience with Ford, they also wouldn't cover a clutch replacement on a Mustang I had even though the dealer discovered the excessive wear was caused by an improperly routed cable just 1000K outside of warranty. Jeep had always been great at the corporate level, once replacing a transmission at 47K as a good will gesture. Live and learn I guess - I only wish I hadn't spent $1300 on a Blue Ox base plate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it will give others pause before they go out and buy one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You treated it like a baby? I'm not sure why you had the problems but find it very surprising. We"ve met several people over the past years that love their Ford toads. Our 2010 Ford Edge has thousands of tow miles with no problems. Doesn't mean you didn't get a lemon and that's possible. I must say though, the quality of our Ford Edge is second to none and the Quicklane service is wonderful. Hope you have better luck in the future.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

K - glad you have had a positive experience. If you Google towing Ford Escape you'll see about 10 who have had problems, especially with the transmission, as compared to one who has had a positive experience. Wish I could say the same. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
You treated it like a baby? I'm not sure why you had the problems but find it very surprising. We"ve met several people over the past years that love their Ford toads. Our 2010 Ford Edge has thousands of tow miles with no problems. Doesn't mean you didn't get a lemon and that's possible. I must say though, the quality of our Ford Edge is second to none and the Quicklane service is wonderful. Hope you have better luck in the future.
I'm not sure the purpose of your post, but the member is not saying ALL Fords or Ford Escape's are having this problem or are bad, only the one HE owns. I think it's safe to assume the OP recognizes there are many, many other happy Ford owners and he's simply relating HIS experience. What he's seeking is a solution to his brake problem not a product endorsement.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I'm not sure the purpose of your post, but the member is not saying ALL Fords or Ford Escape's are having this problem or are bad, only the one HE owns. I think it's safe to assume the OP recognizes there are many, many other happy Ford owners and he's simply relating HIS experience. What he's seeking is a solution to his brake problem not a product endorsement.
I think you should read his post again. (Do NOT buy a Ford Escape to use as a toad)

"Do yourself a favor, if you want a tow vehicle, look beyond Ford."

So let's see, if I adjust the brakes too high for my 5th wheel so that every time I touch the brakes the 5th locks up and I burn the brakes out it's Forest Rivers problem?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't get this. Poster says don't buy because his brakes burned up. Then he talks about the transmission. The trans has nothing to do with the brakes.

Why doesn't he look at the consumer installed brake buddy? Says it was working fine just because of some idiot lights.

Sounds like OP had a case of operator error and is looking for a scape goat and he made it Ford.

There is more to this than we are being told.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too fail to see how anything except the brake buddy could have caused a brake failure. I towed my Explorer many thousands of miles with a Ready Brake and still on the same brake pads.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I too fail to see how anything except the brake buddy could have caused a brake failure. I towed my Explorer many thousands of miles with a Ready Brake and still on the same brake pads.
I tend to agree.

And $1300 for a base plate??? Yikes.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I think you guys are on to something that may be helpful. Perhaps somebody familiar with his auxiliary braking system can suggest something he may be missing in his setup of the aux braking system.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxgolfer View Post
While in the shop, I asked them to refer to TSB 11-7-15 which indicates the transmission fluid level should be reduced for towing. The local dealer said that wasn't covered under warranty. I appealed to Ford customer service and they again said NO, it was only a recommendation. I said, "let me get this straight, you won't pay for that recommended service, but you will pay $4,000 for a new transmission if I don't have it done and end up blowing the transmission?" They said "that's correct." I said fine, you can buy me a new transmission in a few months. This makes NO business sense, but it's what I've come to expect from Ford.
Ok, I'd like to say this about that. That TSB is service that they recommend that the OWNER do if towing the vehicle. Why would you expect that to fall under warranty coverage? They also provide recommended tire pressure, oil change interval, etc...and those are also not covered under warranty. There are simply some maintenance items that are clearly the owner's responsibility.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

Ok, I'd like to say this about that. That TSB is service that they recommend that the OWNER do if towing the vehicle. Why would you expect that to fall under warranty coverage? They also provide recommended tire pressure, oil change interval, etc...and those are also not covered under warranty. There are simply some maintenance items that are clearly the owner's responsibility.
Well said Sarah.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #13

I am wondering how far depressed your brake pedal may be when your brake light comes on since you were setting your brake buddy with the brake light. I am guessing that you were towing the SUV with some pressure on the brake calipers and the further you went, the hotter the calipers become thus exerting more braking power to the pads and rotors.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #14

I think any stand alone aux brake box can and sometimes will shift causing pressure to be applied to the pedal. This can happen without tripping the brake pressure switch because of minimum travel or an improperly adjusted or faulty switch.

I, although not as a product of thoughtful consideration, chose our aux system because I'm extremely lazy and did not want to remove and reinstall a stand along box every time I wanted to use the toad. Luckily, our system's brake pedal actuator is mounted permanently to the firewall and it's shaft retracts to apply the brake pedal. When the vacuum is released, the actuator is spring loaded off. The whole thing is out of sight, out of mind with no intrusion to the driver when not towing. I'm a dang genius!

Glad to hear the OP's trans was not harmed. Probably Ford's stance here is one of 'Customer Application'. Few people use their vehicles as we do(toads) and feel it's the customer's responsibility to maintain the proper transmission fluid level to meet their needs. That said, this is not rocket science and it would have taken a tech maybe two minutes to suck the require amount of fluid through the dipstick tube to keep the customer happy. This may have caused a little 'good will' as a bonus.

One thing for sure...hindsight is 20/20. Bob

BTW, I'm in no way defending Ford...I don't own one either.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad