Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do some cars track better on a dolly than others?

I sold my Diesel Silverado and we now have only one car -a Hyundai Azera.

We acquired a new Fleetwood Tioga Montera and I plan on buying a second car and I would like a Beetle Convertible (lost youth ha ha) and might tow it with an Acme Tow Dolly that is made in Kernersville a little west of Raleigh.

My question is do some cars tow better on a dolly than others? My first thought was for a Fiat 500 about 2500 lbs curb weight but now lean towards a VW at about 3000lbs curb weight. ( Fiat's past record in North America is not good) I think a VW would be more easily serviced in NA but will it tow/track on a dolly or are their better models to consider? Volvo or ??

I cannot go 4 down with a FWD car as it HAS to be an automatic as DW cannot master a standard and I do not want to get into adding braking capability as I might buy and sell a couple of used cars befor I get a 'keeper'
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Heck either of those cars you can tote in your back pocket

It really depends on the dolly and loading it properly. I have never towed anything that small or light on a dolly, I have logged a lot of miles with Dodge Grand Caravan on a dolly running 70-75 MPH with no issues.

Had a Saturn SL2 with a Blue Ox tow bar that you would never know was back there.

Now running a 18' car hauler.

Between travels and working, almost every tow dolly setup I have been behind tracks great. I see a lot of tow bar 4 wheels down wagging and jerking. I have never had this happen with anything I have towed 4 wheels down so Im not sure what that deal is.

All that being said, A good quality tow dolly will work great. Personally I would run ST Radials for tires on it over ST Bias. Also have brakes on the dolly, chains not only for the hitch but also to the car are a must and good working lights, I run LED's on everything now. Some people use tow lights on the car and the dolly lights, others use one or the other, I figure the easier Im seen the better off I am, so I would use both.

Good luck!!
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are smart to dolly tow. Your car will be safe up high away from rock strikes, saving mileage on the lower drive line, and the tow will be very easy and safe with Acme's disc surge brakes

I have towed several cars on my EZE-tow...from a 2 door Hyundai to a E150 fullsize van (dropped the driveshaft).

Every car I have towed has behaved very well on the EZE-tow. I believe that the very low load platform helps as well as the use of the car's steering for turns, make it work so well.

And, Acme has fantastic customer service. They just sent me -free- the new style lights to upgrade.

So, I say get the car that you and the Mrs. like best and the EZE-tow will tow it. We primarily tow a Hybrid Ford Escape (3500lb) and it has always been a joy to tow. We don't even feel a difference with or without the toad.

FYI, when driving at night, I turn on the car's parking lights so any local laws are covered that might require edge/marker lighting on the toad. The dolly lights are 50 State and Canada approved for turn and brake signals...the parking lights are just added safety.

Best luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #4

We towed an 08 VW beetle on the ACME tow dolly and it worked great. The only reason that we gave up towing it is that there was no place to attach a safety chain on the bottom of the car.What I mean is a safety chain between the dolly and the car. The only place that I saw on the car was to fasten to the steering assembly and I didn't think that would have been a wise idea........Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
He EZE tow is the dolly i would want if i was using one, they have the best and safest tire tye down system i have seen as for the safety chain i think you could add a bracket to be able to attach the chain. I think with the EZE tow will tow about anything you want to buy safely.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the excellent information; now I just have to find the correct used car!
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpykmpr47 View Post
We towed an 08 VW beetle on the ACME tow dolly and it worked great. The only reason that we gave up towing it is that there was no place to attach a safety chain* on the bottom of the car.What I mean is a safety chain between the dolly and the car. The only place that I saw on the car was to fasten to the steering assembly and I didn't think that would have been a wise idea........Alan
*I run a strap through the wheel's spokes and tie that down. Worked well when a strap let go due to my error.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

I just purchased the ACME EZE Tow (it arrives Monday) to tow my 2008 Malibu. The Malibu will tow four down but you have to hack up the front air baffles for the tow bar. No thanks. My wife loves the VW Beetle convertible so that may be in our future. Since the ramps are removable on the ACME, I don't think the small car will be an issue. I have heard it can be on other dollies with the tilting permanent ramps.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly