Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Do we need brake controllers ?

I"ve got a 39ft Fleetwood revolution that I will be pulling a 24 ft enclosed trailer. So my question is do we really need an electronic brake controller installed ? Brakes on trailer are self adjusting..
9dreizig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
OMG.......YES !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
OMG.......YES !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Ok,, care to elaborate ? The brakes do work without one and there is certainly plenty of brake in the RV even if the trailer had no brakes ( I'm expecting to tow about 7k lbs )
Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

The trailer brakes won't work without a controller...the coach brakes will work and will need to stop both the coach and the trailer - put your 7,000# trailer on the back of your motor home and try a panic stop. You will see the need right away!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
The trailer brakes won't work without a controller...the coach brakes will work and will need to stop both the coach and the trailer - put your 7,000# trailer on the back of your motor home and try a panic stop. You will see the need right away!

Tim
interesting,, I thought that with the circular wiring connector the brakes worked but the controller allowed the adjusting of when and how hard they came on (that's what they told me at the trailer factory when I picked it up)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Ok,, care to elaborate ? The brakes do work without one and there is certainly plenty of brake in the RV even if the trailer had no brakes ( I'm expecting to tow about 7k lbs )
Maybe you can elaborate for us how the brakes work without a controller. I'd be interested to hear.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

OK, going to need a whole lot of info on your trailer, because;
1, if it has electric brakes you need a controller. No ifs, ands, or buts!
2, if it has surge brakes, ( self contained with fluid reservoir on the hitch )I've never heard of those trailers, equipped with surge brakes, being self adjusting.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
interesting,, I thought that with the circular wiring connector the brakes worked but the controller allowed the adjusting of when and how hard they came on (that's what they told me at the trailer factory when I picked it up)

So someone sold you a 7,000# trailer and told you the brakes( electric ) would work without a controller.

Trailer info please , because if such a system exists , there are a bunch of us here in the forums who've never heard of it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post

Maybe you can elaborate for us how the brakes work without a controller. I'd be interested to hear.
X2

Curious minds here would like to know what YOU know about your trailer brakes that is different than everyone else here that uses a cargo trailer with electric brakes.

Surge Brakes are ONLY used on trailers UP TO a specific weight limit. I think 7000 lbs is WELL over that limit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #10

OK, another question , did you pick this trailer up , with a pick up truck ( newer with built-in controller) and are now transferring it over to your coach ?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I"ve got a 39ft Fleetwood revolution that I will be pulling a 24 ft enclosed trailer. So my question is do we really need an electronic brake controller installed ? Brakes on trailer are self adjusting..
The brakes on my 26 foot Pace Cargo Trailer are Self-Adjusting also, BUT they are also ELECTRIC brakes which require an Electronic Brake Controller to activate the electric brake part.

BTW, my tandem axles are 6000 lb each and I carry about 11,000 lbs total. Trailer is about 4800 lbs by itself.

Prodigy P2 is what I installed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
HowStuffWorks "Braking While Towing Safety"

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #13

Prodigy P2 is my controller too. Works well!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
the controller allowed the adjusting of when and how hard they came on )
The correct statement would be ;
The controller determines when the brakes come on and is adjustable to determine how hard.

JMHO: I can't believe they let you move the trailer off the lot without a working controller, the liability factor alone should have made them insist you have one.

Tags
brake