Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do you flat tow a jeep with a custom bumper?

If so, lets see how you mounted the electrical connector/air line/break away switch, etc. I'm thinking of drilling into my bumper on each side of the 'Spyder' but like the idea of a custom bracket that holds everything and mount it to the right of the winch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting locations.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	172215  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Name:	IMG_2557.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	172216

Here you go! Rock Hard 4x4 aluminum front bumper. Only bumper one should buy if you are planning on towing it 4 down and are considering after market front bumper. Has tabs to connect Blue Ox, Demco, or Roadmaster tow bars and are bolted directly to frame. Jeep has 4" Rubicon Express lift and 3.15 70R 17 all terrain tires. No having to buy expensive mounting bracket. Bumper is also available in steel, but after having 3 Jeeps with steel bumpers, with winch, etc. it is better to go for light. This bumper, grill, and Bushwhacker fender flares are Linexed. Jeep had Air Force 1 tow brake with breakaway switch, and six way electrical connection. Can hook up and unhook in 5 minutes!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
By the way, if you are thinking about towing a Jeep 4 down with an after market bumper, you might want to consider dumping the stubby bumper. If you get into a section of road the HD is putting gravel on, you might be shocked at the amount of gravel these tires throw forward! How do I know? Caused $6,500 of damage to my new 800 mile Jeep and $4,500 to back of coach. Had to repaint the entire back of coach. And that was with this bumper!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks! I am planning on going with the Rock Hard tow brackets either bolted or welded (depends on where on the bumper they end up being mounted)..

Thanks also for the heads up on the gravel being kicked up. I already plan on using a full frontal bra and windshield cover but now may also get a protect-a-tow! I don't have these concerns when I tow the Jeep on the car hauler!

Are you connectors mounted to the right of your winch?
Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club

Here is my setup. I got the winch version of a RH bumper even though no immediate plans for adding a winch. Also used the bolt on Blue Ox brackets from RH and used the lower holes to lower the mount point.
With the winch fairing opening I made a custom mount to put all the fittings. If I ever do add a winch then I will need to rethink where everything is mounted.

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	172218
Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rock Hard bumpers mount directly to frame horn ends. Tow brackets mount to either the upper or lower bumper mount. Warn does not recommend mounting any type of tow bar directly to a Warn bumper. Probably with good reason. Most steel bumpers are 1/4" plate, not a lot to weld to and hold a 5000 lb vehicle. Same goes for bolting Direct to bumper, unless bolts go through frame horn ends.

True about car hauler, but you enter a whole new arena of problems you did not have before. Using the present set up, I can hook up and be gone in 5 minutes. With car hauler, under ideal conditions (an 80 - 90' pull through) which is getting rare, it took us about 40 minutes to load, tie down and leave. Under worse conditions (where you unload your vehicle, disconnect trailer from coach, connect vehicle to trailer, haul it to trailer storage spot, unhook, lock up trailer) was taking about an hour.
I decided I would change to good A/T tires with a long tread wear warranty and leave the trailer at home than keep aggressive, expensive, off road tires and wearing them out towing.

Yes, enlarge picture and you can see where electrical, air brake line, and breakaway switch are located to driver side of winch. That is a Warn 8000 with synthetic line.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Here is my setup. I got the winch version of a RH bumper even though no immediate plans for adding a winch. Also used the bolt on Blue Ox brackets from RH and used the lower holes to lower the mount point.
With the winch fairing opening I made a custom mount to put all the fittings. If I ever do add a winch then I will need to rethink where everything is mounted.
Attachment 172218
I followed some of your other posts and saw your setup. This is really clean! Although it won't work for me, I really liked your setup!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. Looking forward to see what you work out with a winch in place.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club

[ATTACH]172275
Willys Wheeler with Aluminum Rock Hard bumper with blue ox tabs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161203_150430.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	172275  
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

LoD steel mid-width with welded on Roadmaster tabs. Net weight gain from factory 50 pounds, downward deflection of springs 0 inches.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
LoD steel mid-width with welded on Roadmaster tabs. Net weight gain from factory 50 pounds, downward deflection of springs 0 inches.
Do you have any pictures of how you mounted your electrical, break away, and airline if applicable?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #12

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I have a LoD bumper. On the driver's side is a connection for Air Force One braking system, on the passenger side is a 6 pin connection for the Mopar lighting system. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	172319
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I have a LoD bumper. On the driver's side is a connection for Air Force One braking system, on the passenger side is a 6 pin connection for the Mopar lighting system. Attachment 172319
Nice! That's what I was thinking of doing also but now I'm thinking about a bracket that mounts to the two bolts that holds the roller fairlead on for the winch. In the process of mocking up something now to see if it's doable. For me the electrical connection will be on the right and the air fitting (planning on going with the M&G brake system) will be on the left.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #14

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Nice! That's what I was thinking of doing also but now I'm thinking about a bracket that mounts to the two bolts that holds the roller fairlead on for the winch. In the process of mocking up something now to see if it's doable. For me the electrical connection will be on the right and the air fitting (planning on going with the M&G brake system) will be on the left.
The bracket that mounts where the fairlead goes is that for electrical and brake connections, like SPK64, or for the tow bar? I don't think it would work for the tow bar but definitely a nice setup it you don't want a winch.

I forgot to mention LoD will weld the tow bar tabs on for free you just need to call the and tell them what kind tow bar setup you want. When I got mine they had free shipping if ordered online, but no way to tell them about the tow bar tabs. So I called and spoke to Chris and he said order it and call back with the order # and we will add it. It was a roundabout way of doing it but my guess was it was easier for them to take the payments online than over the phone. I think it was about a 4 weeks (maybe a little more) to get the bumper.

Marc
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow