Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Do you have to use the remote with the Even Brake?

We just picked up a 2004 Jeep Wrangler as a toad and installed the Blue Ox Baseplate. I wired the 6 wire plug to run along the frame to a 4 wire flat plug at the rear bumper so that I didn't have to mess with the Jeeps wiring for lights, I have a set of mag-mount lights I can plug in and attach the lights to the rear bumper. I have the RoadMaster Even Brake from our last Toad, but don't have the little remote box that it plugs into. I was wondering if I can just place the Even Brake on the drivers floor, connect it to the brake pedal and plug it into the Aux Power Port and have it work as it should? I know I'd be losing the ability to monitor it from in the MH, but was wondering if it would even work properly if I don't have the remote transmitter thing installed. Thanks for any help or advice.

Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Funny thing..on this forum, I am gonna ques 60% think you have to have a braking system for your toad.. I am not talking about the LAW in each state that says you have to have one. Tracy and I are in the 10 day of a 14 day trip. I was thinking about getting a Brake for the Flex....Then during this trip I paid attention to the times while I was going through the mountains when I applied the brakes. With the Allison Tranny in mode setting..I only touched the brakes like 3 times in the mountians...so what is a brake assist going to help...I await the masses. This is just a what if type thing...I don't use the brakes in the NC mountians...Why do I need a $500 braking devise..Peace....D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Well, I have debated the use of the Even Brake or not because we have had issues with it in the past, but for the most part it has works well, and does provide extra braking. With a gas coach I think it's a good idea, not as much weight as a DP, so having the weight of a Toad pushing on your rear end, it makes me feel better to have it.

I did download the installation instructions, and from what I gather, there is no need for a connection to the brake light wiring if I'm using a set of magnetic mount trailer lights that are not intergrated into the vehicle wiring. It appears the only real input the ICX Transmitter has to the operation of the Even Brake is the break away switch that will apply the brakes in the event the Toad disconnects from the RV. All that's actually wired to the Jeep is the Power and Ground wires. Being as I don't have to mess with the vehicle lights, it should be a pretty straight forward installation... Still curious if anyone has ever run their Even Brake without it connected to the ICX Transmitter, and if it worked?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - per the Even Brake manual the ICX transmitter is merely a status device that feeds information to the monitor in the coach. Does not participate in controlling the braking.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have to purchase one more connector so I can connect the Magnetic lights to the harness running from the front to the back of the Jeep and then I'll be ready to test everything out. When I do, I'll connect the Even Brake to the power plug and see if it will pass it's self test without being plugged into the ICX Transmitter. If that works, then it should work without the ICX TX being installed.

When we had our last Toad, we never used the remote because there was no convenient place to mount in in the cab of the MH where it was clearly visible. Used it a couple times and it just sat on the doghouse, but wasn't much use because it wasn't clearly visible. The battery on our CRV used to drain on every trip, and the remote never signaled a low battery like the instructions said it should, so this go round, I don't want anything drawing power from the Toad! The negative battery disconnect should help there, even when the key is in the accessory position to unlock the steering wheel.

BTW, discovered by accident that the key can be removed from the ignition when it's in the Accessory position, great for towing because no key is in the Toad, not so great when my wife takes the Jeep and pulls the key without ensuring it's all the way in the off position! Fortunately I caught it before it sat for a couple days draining the battery!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul, if your ever down toward Milledgeville, I have one that you could have just be stopping by. Compressor went bad in my brake and burned up the control board. Still have all the parts.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jerry,

Thanks for the offer! I found the ICX Transmitter and the break away switch (forgot I had pulled them before we sold our Fit), just wondering if I really need to install them. Part of my reluctance is the fact I don't want anything drawing power from the Toad Battery. I guess I could tap into the same power lead I have coming from the RV to the Power Port I installed under the dash, but don't know if the additional draw on the RV power would affect the performance of the Even Brake. I have read that could cause problems.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Funny thing..on this forum, I am gonna ques 60% think you have to have a braking system for your toad.. I am not talking about the LAW in each state that says you have to have one. Tracy and I are in the 10 day of a 14 day trip. I was thinking about getting a Brake for the Flex....Then during this trip I paid attention to the times while I was going through the mountains when I applied the brakes. With the Allison Tranny in mode setting..I only touched the brakes like 3 times in the mountians...so what is a brake assist going to help...I await the masses. This is just a what if type thing...I don't use the brakes in the NC mountians...Why do I need a $500 braking devise..Peace....D
Perhaps you'll feel differently if traffic comes to a dead stop in front of you ............... and you don't till 10 feet too late!
It only takes one stop that's too long for some to realize they should have brakes, but most of us like to be safe so we get the aux brakes BEFORE it happens!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
For the record, I'm not asking about not using the Even Brake, I just want to know if it will work properly without the ICX Transmitter installed. I also understand I lose the capability of monitoring the Even Brake and won't have the Break Away braking function should the Toad decide to take off on it's own.... But, I am an advocate of using a brake system in our Toad!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #10

Yes, I'd say you can run the braking system without the monitor... I borrowed my brother's Brake Buddy when I bought the MH and towed the Jeep home behind it on a dolly. He only put the Brake Buddy in the Jeep, not all the monitoring and break-away stuff, since I was just using it temporarily until my Even Brake showed up. Since it's essentially the same system then I'd fully believe they work the same way.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though I'm not a supporter of the Even brake (Or any system like it) for assorted reasons I won't go into here.

The system works, with our without the remote.. The remote is nice because it gives you information about what it's doing and may let you do things "Manually" (I"m not that familure with the remote)

I consider information to be good.

But it is "Optional"
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #12

Here is my input. I just traded cars my self, not going to wire it for lights I tried the Even Brake with out the ICX. it will not work you have to run a test and it will not show ready, will only apply the brake twice, got to do it three times, to show ready. talked to tech at Road Master told me it had to be wired into the toad brake light on the ground side, and you do that from the ICX . That is all I know. wcombs34
Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the info, I have not had a chance to test it yet, however, after reviewing the installation instructions, it does not appear you have to have the ICX wired to the brake lights. I can see where it might have to get a signal from the ICX for it to pass the test though. I was going to wire the ICX to a cigarette lighter plug so it's not permanently mounted and see if that will work, just haven't got that far yet. I'm hoping I don't have to tamper with any of the wiring in the Jeep to get it working. I guess worse case I can tap into the wiring harness I ran from the front to the rear of the Jeep and use the ground off the magnetic lights if I have to, but that would be a pain!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have to use the REMOTE: no, you do not, many do not.

As for the Even Brake.. I have two negatives on that type of braking system, this applies not just to the Even Brake but all the systems that look like it.

1: Has to be installed every time.. On the system I had on my tow the installer messed up and cost me a brake job.. I've heard of folks having that problem with the "Box" systems like the Even brake as well, only difference is I had an installer to blame. They had to point to the man in the mirror.

2: Short tow: "Oh it's too much trouble I'll just forget it for this trip" - its. Making a short tow (Say to the dealer) you say it's too much trouble, and that, of course, (per Murphy's law) is when you need it.

Tags
brake