Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I like the way you carry your toys. I have a 4-door Unlimited Sahara now and I love it. I have also been investigating having a Honda Trike for my future trips. I didn't know it was feasible to take both the Jeep and the Trike together?

What are the limits to worry about with your setup?
cucotx,
Well Sir, that actually was our earlier setup. The coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330 HP. The lift on the back of it is a "Hydralift". That's the best lift on the market. Anyway, it's a real long story but, I won't hijack the OPs thread but suffice to say, I was running a bit over weight on the rear axle on that coach. About 3000 lbs. to be exact. I knew it going into the project. I also knew it would not damage anything.

But, because of many things in the equation, we've changed toads and now carry the 900 lb. Honda Goldwing in the back of our present toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4, using a "Rampage" lift in the bed of the truck.

But, if you intend on a trike, the first thing you need to do is get the actual weight of that trike. DO NOT GO BY PRINTED MATTER!!!! Get it physically weighed. The Hydralift, as well as many others on the market, is capable of 1000 lbs. And, I'd bet dollars to donuts that your trike is very close to over a 1000 lbs. Just a guess. As far as the rig actually towing and carrying weight like you see in the picture, it worked flawless. I had absolutely NO issues that all the "know it alls" said I'd have if and when I put the bike on the back of it. There was no fish-tailing, no wandering, no ill porpoising, no steering issues, no breaks, NOTHING!

The brakes worked the exact same as they do without the bike on there. The ride height sensors picked up on the fact that I added the extra weight back there and it (the coach) rode in the exact same position, in ride height, with the bike or, without the bike.

Yes, having all of your "Toys" so to speak, while out on the road, is certainly a lot of fun and, having options for gallivanting all over the area you're in, at the time, sure makes it nice. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am going to need about a 6" hitch riser on the back of my mh to tow my Hummer H3. The H3 has 35" tires and weighs about 4800 lbs. In looking at hitch risers, I see there are aluminum ones as well as Roadmaster and Blue Ox steel ones. The aluminum ones (include a 2" ball) are rated at a higher towing and tongue weight, are adjustable, but cost more. Does anyone have an opinion on which way to go?

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I am going to need about a 6" hitch riser on the back of my mh to tow my Hummer H3. The H3 has 35" tires and weighs about 4800 lbs. In looking at hitch risers, I see there are aluminum ones as well as Roadmaster and Blue Ox steel ones. The aluminum ones (include a 2" ball) are rated at a higher towing and tongue weight, are adjustable, but cost more. Does anyone have an opinion on which way to go?
Steve,
In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, in a situation like yours, cost should not play in. I'm assuming you value your H-3. And, if so, then spend the extra bucks and get the higher rated receiver. If after you've checked all the measurements, ratings and more, you find the aluminum one will work as intended, then just go get it. You'll do it one time, the right way, and you'll be done with it. You'll never have to worry about it.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote