Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Do you tow a Silverado 1500 2wd ?

Does anyone on here tow a Silverado 1500 2wd 4 down.

We have a 2004 year/model we want to pull behind our RV, im getting conflicting reports from various Chevrolet service dealers as to weather we can or cannot do this.

The internet research ive done and the toad lists ive found say yes you can provided you start the engine and run through the gears every 200 miles or so, to lube the trans.
Some Chevy dealers agree and some dont, im not sure weather those who say "no" which is normally exspessed as "I dont think so" are just being cautious given that the US is the most litigious nation on the planet or maybe they can't be bothered to look it up.

I suspect my internet research and the dealers that say yes are correct, but if someone is doing it, then they know the answer for sure.

So if your doing it id be keen to hear from you.

Rusty & Kelly

Rusty & Kelly Glen
2000 Bounder 43ft double slide > constantly evolving toad, full timers.
Country entertainer/RV Tech/ Mechanic
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Auto or manual trans? If it is a Auto then no you would need to have a driveline disconnect installed. Manual maybe depends on the trans model, you should be able to get the info from your owners manual. The problem with manual trans is they are "splash lubed" meaning the lower (cluster) gear has to be turning to lube the trans, it usually does not turn from the rear "output shaft" when the trans is in neutral. Thats why you have to start every now and then. If you where going to only tow every now and then ok, but for me stopping every 200 miles getting out starting the vehicle would be PITA.

Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Hello have to agree with bbeane if a Auto no way unless you trailer it P I A and maybe if a manual that why most tow a 4x4 due to the fact you can put the tranfer case in Neutral position for GM's I tow a 2008 Avalanche 4X4 behind my M/H. Hopes that helps
2005 Beaver Patroit Thunder 42' Vicksburg Quid Slide.
Diesel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might get by with an automatic 2WD by running the engine every 100-200 miles to lubricate and cool the tranny, but you would be gambling with a very expensive component. And there is no practical way to assess whether you are doing any damage of not, since it is cumulative and due to excess heat and wear.

The only safe advice is to install a driveline disconnect so that the tranny isn't turning. Remco DriveShaft Coupling can supply one for your Silverado.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Hi All
Thanks for the feedback, sorry should have said my truck is auto.
Im a Kiwi from New Zealand and most of our vehicles 75% down there are manuals or were up until 15 years ago, now its likely 50/50

Im a mechanic by trade, but your terminolgy here is a little different to ours.
Causing some confusion, also the dealers were very conflicted on their opinions.

If my truck was manual I would not even be asking as ANY manual trans vehicle can be tow'd in Neutral day and night as fast and as long as you like.

The gears are not rotating and nore is the input shaft of the gear box etc, you may get a small amount of drive shaft rotation caused by friction within the diff gears, but this no issue.
Just thought id mention that as some folk seem to think towing a manual requires certain prep, which is false.

Just to be really safe and because I dont feel like spending a weekend changing a transmission or crawling under to disconnect the dribble shaft each time I want to tow, I think we will invest in one of the shaft disconnect units " thanks for that link" thats a handy piece of kit.

Back in NZ we had a Jeep Cherokee auto which towed great behind our RV there, as Jeep were smart enough to equip them with a tow mode in the transfer set up, as most of you are aware.

However I didnt want another Jeep and Jeeps a really pricey here, even for older units.
So the D/S disconnect is ideal.

Thanks again everyone
safe travels
Rusty & Kelly Glen
2000 Bounder 43ft double slide > constantly evolving toad, full timers.
Country entertainer/RV Tech/ Mechanic
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote