Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does 12V Charge Wire Need Diode

I have a 2014 Jeep Compass on order and will install the Blue Ox base plate and wiring myself. I just sold my Jeep Liberty and it did not have a 12V charge wire. Never had a problem with a dead battery because it had a position on the ignition that shut off all electronics but left the steering wheel unlocked. To tow the Compass I will have to leave the ignition in the Accessory position. To eliminate the chance of draining the battery by my Brake Buddy, I'm going to us 6 pin connectors on the motorhome and Compass to wire in a 12V charge wire. Does the charge wire need a diode to eliminate back flow from the Compass to the motorhome? I plan on connecting the charge wire to the motorhome's positive terminal and running it through all the connections to the Compass positive terminal. Is this correct?

kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, but do install a fuse close to the connection.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
This item may make make it easy for you to tap the positive lead. Note when the key is off the so is the power lead!
http://www.amazon.com/Bully-TC-182-1...=pd_sim_auto_4
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been wondering about this myself and here why. I currently do not have a diode installed. What happens if I park somewhere for the night all leave the headlights on? If the lights are left on long enough it will drain both batteries (chassis and toad). With a diode only the chassis battery would be discharged. Of course, I could start the RV engine by using the house batteries. Just a thought and maybe I think to much.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think you need the diode.On the other hand there is no harm and might save you a problem some day...Jim
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use a ToadCharge system that will take care of both issues for you. It uses a circuit breaker to protect the motorhome and a charge controller that only passes voltage to the toad when a charge current (>13 V) is present. There is no current flow from the motorhome to the toad when the motorhome engine is off.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #7

Just for clarification, your Compass is a manual transmission?

The Compass uses the CVT Continuously Variable transmission which cannot be dinghy towed.

It's basically the same vehicle as my old Dodge Caliber which had the CVT transmission. It was only towable on a dolly.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
No, but do install a fuse close to the connection.
I agree fuse is important at the RV battery. Shorted out battery lines can be serious.

Reason no diode is needed is when ignition is off power to charge line is disconnected. In the days of old that line was never disconected & would discharge the start battery. RVer added diodes i.e. relays to prevent the discharge of the start battery. JMHO
Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chris, yes the new Compass will have standard transmission. That's why I had to factory order it. Stick shift is only available on the Sport model. Believe it or not, there are no 2013 Compasses with stick shift to be found. The factory is now building 2014 Compasses so I ordered one. Should be here in 4 to 6 weeks. Wasn't my first choice, but it'll work out in the long run.

The transmission on my 2004 Jeep Liberty needed replacing to the tune of $4000. The Liberty had 145,000 miles plus 50,000 towed miles. It was in great condition otherwise. The dealer was only going to give me $1000 for it. The owner of a local auto repair shop liked how clean it was. He gave me much more for the Liberty and is going to keep it for himself. He's putting the new transmission in it.

The 2014 Compass takes the same base plate as the 2013. From what I've read on this post, I'll probably go with the ToadCharge.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
YC1

Simple test if it eases your mind. Measure the charge line with the engine running, key off but in run position, and key off. Probably not an issue anyway. Seems that is a lot of lights that would be on and hard not to notice after dark.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #11

Not one TT, utilty trailer, horse or stock trailer, or 5ver has a toad charge installed by the factory. Why? Don't need it. If it makes you feel better install one but basically a waste of money.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK. My biggest concern is what happens when there is just a fuse in the charge line between the two batteries and both engines are running? Will there be a problem with back feed to the motorhome or toad alternators and will this create a problem? This is not a problem with trailers because trailers don't have engines that also generate electricity. I've had trailers in the past with charge lines and never had any problems with just a charge wire.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #13

I assume you won't be pushing the MH with the toad. I normally shut off my MH, disconnect, then drive my toad.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
OK. My biggest concern is what happens when there is just a fuse in the charge line between the two batteries and both engines are running? Will there be a problem with back feed to the motorhome or toad alternators and will this create a problem? This is not a problem with trailers because trailers don't have engines that also generate electricity. I've had trailers in the past with charge lines and never had any problems with just a charge wire.
No problem. They will behave just fine.