Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #15
Ok, so what about the disconnect? Is it a good way to go or should I sell this Tahoe and buy something else? Does it also require a pump to keep things lubricated and cool?

Cloudbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
You do not need an auxiliary pump when you use the driveshaft disconnect. The disconnect allows the pinion end of the driveshaft to turn, but the transmission end does not. So the transmission does not have anything moving inside. The auxiliary pump is for when the transmission has the parts inside rotating but with the engine off.

2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #17
It's up to you but, unless you're really attached to the Tahoe, I think you'd be much better off, purchasing something that needs absolutely NO MODIFICATIONS to the drive train, in order to be flat towed. You simply do what's in the owners manual, and, you're done. There would be nothing to worry about. Everything would be FACTORY designed to be flat towed.

The Driveshaft disconnect has been discussed on this forum just a few times. While there are a few that have had somewhat good luck with them, there are also many, many that have had really bad luck with them. You see, what used to be a single piece, balanced drive shaft, is now a two piece unit that due to it's nature, can have plenty of problems. And, while some drive train shops say they balance the disconnect system, it's pretty difficult to get an accurate balance on two pieces, not connected together and, can end up, linking together in multiple combinations.

If you don't know how the work, it's simple. Basically it's two splines with a sliding gear that is either positioned over both, to connect the two splines for driving the vehicle, or, it's slid out of position to cover only one spline, so that the other one spins freely and, therefore does not spin the drive shaft due to the rear wheels still in contact with the ground and, spinning while being towed.

But, there is a lever in the toad, that moves a cable which, is connect to another lever, that controls the sliding gear. And, those splines are out in the open. Meaning, if it rains, and you're towing, those splines can gum up with mud and debris. When that happens, quite often the sliding gear will not engage the second set of splines due to the debris, mud and other stuff, coating the splines. Many drivers have had to get under their toad and, after a long days drive, CLEAN those splines in order for the main gear to slide over them.

Many say they'll never use the drive shaft disconnect system again. Now, again, there are some that have had no issues. I myself will never own any vehicle that cannot be flat towed, without any modifications. No driveshaft disconnect, no pump, no dolly. There's just too many nice toads out there that are designed, and, authorized by the factory to be flat towed. Your choice.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #18

That is great information. Thanks and that pretty much puts me where I was heading anyway. I like the truck and it has a special gear rack installed so that is one thing that keeps me connected to it. I can design and install one on the next vehicle though as that is likely a better way to go.

Good stuff!!

Cloudbase is offline   Reply With Quote