Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Does anyone Dinghy tow a 2008-2012 Honda Accord V6 Automatic

Though Remco says we can tow, does anyone actually tow 4 down one of these Generation 8 Accords with V6 and automatic transmission? We really enjoy this car, and would like to bring it along when we head out. Due to the warning in the owner's manual, possible cost of repair, and lost 'roughing it smoothly' time, we are skeptical to go without a personal observation of success from few/many.

Thanks for letting us in on your experience.

Bill
BILLnDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #2

Honda Accord

BillnDeb. Did you ever get an answer to your question? We just purchased a Coach and have the same problem with our 2009 Accord V6. I want to use it as a toad, but would prefer some real time experience. I have had no real sucess with Honda as I have requested the "Why Not" answered by Honda engineering. My research so far seems to come down to the fact that Honda has not "tested" for this and they were sued for transmission issues with older CR-V models.
The emergency tow proceedure in the manual, if followed precisely, will work for 8hrs/600 miles according to some info I have uncoveered.
Real time feedback would be marvelous.

Alan
Kaos Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #3

Wonder how many more Hondas could be sold if they would certify more vehicles towable? We tow an 03 Odyssey and would like to get a newer one but are hesitant given Honda's position and some of the horror stories we've heard about transmissions.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I have a similiar problem. I talked to Remco, Roadmaster and Demco regarding towing a 2012 Honda Civic all four down. All claimed that the Civic was towable without any modifications. Brackets are readily available. Camping World told me they will install the brackets and that no other modification is needed. However, Honda refers me to the owners manual which states it is not towable and damage can be done to the transmission if towed flat down. Everyone is in agreement that damage really isn't done unless you back up without disconnecting the Honda first. But Honda will not take on the reliability as there is no to prove that the damage was done by backing up, so they just flat-out say no flat towing. Instead of finding a way to determine if the car was backed up or a way to keep the transmission from being damaged if backed up, they take the easy way out. No many of us back up with our toads attached anyway (I hope). Which makes me say after owning three Honda's, no more!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why are we picking on Honda? The vast majority of cars are not towable. Just because Remco, Roadmaster, and Demco think they can be, what makes them right. Will they guarantee your tranny if it fails? Of course not. I have two Hondas and I will not tow them without a dolly. We all have the option of buying something that can be towed.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

I agree there are many towable vehicles out there; however, I have owned my 2009 Accord EX-L since new, I like it, jut like I like my 2004 Monaco Diplomat, I would just like to tow it on all fours as I hear that dollys are a pain in the butt.
I have an engineering background and I requested an explantation from Honda as to why the Accord could not be flat towed. I observed that the CR-V 4 cyl engine and transmission is almost identical to the Accord 4 cyl and transmission. Ancedotaly, my tech friend at Honda was able to indicate that the problem with the Accord was transmission overheating.
Too much smoke and not enough facts for me.
Kaos Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have not received any verifiable Accord V6 - Automatic flat tow experiences from anyone to date. I continually look at the opposite lane to see if I notice anyone towing one four down... not yet.

Bill
BILLnDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #8

I have toad my 2000 accord v6 four down with no problems. Demco has a service bullitan from honda with specific instructions before towing. I was sceptical at first but with 2000 miles toad my accord still purrs. Just make sure you service trans regularly and NO HYBREDS
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
TGR

Personally, I would love to be able to tow my '03 accord 4 down. A friend who was a Honda mechanic said not to do it. So I bought a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly. It works well. The galvanized steel on the dolly should help it to last for a long time.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Your mechanic is ultra-conservative. There are literally thousands of 2003-era Hondas being towed by motorhomes. It is one of the most popular toads. Honda even issued towing instrauctions for it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary,

I'm pretty sure American Honda does not endorse towing the '03 or newer Accord.
'02 was the last of the generation like my '00 Accord that is very common to find as toads. Even my year model is not endorsed to be towed 4 down, but many have towed with little to no concerns.

The bulletin that Honda officially issued for MH towing was dated back in the early nineties, there have been many changes since then.

In '03 Honda redesigned the transmission due to numerous trans failures from '98 to '02. When I was a Honda service manager I saw transmissions replaced on a regular basis from 75k to 150k miles. The problem was bad enough for Honda to voluntarily extend the factory warranty on the trans from 3 year/36k to 7year/100,000K. Not because of toad use, but due to a design flaw.

If you were to call American Honda customer relations and ask if it's okay to tow '03 or newer Accord they will tell you no and suggest a CRV or Honda Fit.

The question as the OP stated has anyone successfully towed a newer gen Accord 4 down. I suspect it is okay to do so, but if you have a factory warranty and incur a transmission failure it is entirely possible Honda would deny the claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos Kamper View Post
The emergency tow proceedure in the manual, if followed precisely, will work for 8hrs/600 miles according to some info I have uncovered.
Real time feedback would be marvelous.

Alan
If I were to attempt this on a later Gen Accord, I would stop and run it through the gears every 8 hours or 300 miles, just as I do with my '00 Accord.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Everyone is in agreement that damage really isn't done unless you back up without disconnecting the Honda first.
You're the first person I've seen postulation that, where did it come from?

The damage comes from not following Honda's procedure for running through the gears. If you go directly from Reverse to Neutral it leaves the transmission partly in Reverse and will destroy the transmission.

We went all thought that with Honda's engineering and legal department in 2006-2007 before they paid us for the towing gear we had installed on our 2005 Ody. Luckily we had it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable four down, then they changed their minds. Had to get the WA and CA AG's offices involved though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Your mechanic is ultra-conservative. There are literally thousands of 2003-era Hondas being towed by motorhomes. It is one of the most popular toads. Honda even issued towing instrauctions for it.
Agreed, it wasn't till the '05 model year that Honda changed their rules.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #14

From the what's if worth department our '08 Honda CRV gives you detailed instructions in the owners manual on flat towing. It's a 5 speed automatic, two wheel drive. Basically put it in neutral, pull the radio fuse keep the speed under 60mph and down the road you go.
There is an'08 CRV for sale in the toad section and priced right.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 honda accord, 2009 honda accord, 2010 honda accord, 2011 honda accord, 2012 honda accord