Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #15
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Ken,

Have you had any work done to your TH recently? New Tires, Alignment? Anything ? Anything different in the condition it was towed in? Gas tank full or empty?

I'm starting to get worried!! If it happens to me, there will be a 2015 Limited on the market. I have enough to worry about, without adding that on.

I have not heard of one person that has experienced this condition, that has been able to correct it.
Does this "Death Wobble" only happen on the Cherokee - or does it also happen on the Grand Cherokee?

gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
As far as I know, this particular problem is unique to the new style (2014-2015) Cherokee and Cherokee sub-models.

Quote:
The car is towable in all but a certain peculiar circumstance that causes the front wheels to oscillate left and right. That circumstance is when the toad vehicle is being turned left or right and the wheels have to roll over a dip or bump in the roadway at very low speeds. Such as entering a highway or turning a moderate sharp corner at very low speeds. As the wheels travel over the bump and turn at the same time there is a pronounced change in the alignment geometry called the included angle of turn. When the wheels begin to correct back to center there is not sufficient positive castor to keep the wheels from over correcting thus you get "Bump Steer".

This condition will not occur when the vehicle is under it's own power since the power steering is acting as a force damper to control the positioning of the front wheels.

It will also not happen under braking since the braking action of each wheel again acts as a force damper to control wheel movement.
Btr2Trvl: Your quote above is an excellent find! And that "...certain peculiar circumstance..." is EXACTLY what I experieinced. It is encouraging to hear that it is not an ongoing problem, but a kinduv alignment of the planets kind of thing. Now to find a solution.

BPoland: The only service I have had on the Cherokee is the oil change and tire rotation at 7500 miles. Think I also had a recall done on some sort of software issue, too. But "no" -- nothing new mechanically.

Thanks EVERYbody!

\ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Cherokee Death Wobble

I have experienced the death wobble on 4 occasions and have stopped towing my Jeep Cherokee due to safety concerns. The wobble is well documented and started with the 2014 redesign of the Cherokee. I'm in a FMCA forum of about 40 people with the wobble. We need to somehow figure how to pull all of these folks together that are having the problem. If you go on YouTube and search "Jeep Shaking Violently" you will witness the death wobble behind a motor home doing 25-30 mph. It happened to me at 70 mph. The front wheels begin oscillating back & forth and the Jeep is virtually trying to turn itself over. The only thing stopping that from happening is the tow bar. It's not the tow bar as it happens with both Blue Ox and Roadmaster tow bars. We have an email chain going and if you respond to me I will see to it that you get added.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #18

There are reports of this on both Jeep Cherokee (KL) forums. Many on the forums have felt this is a very low frequency resonance issue; some have said they have received information from FCA that a fix to this oscillation (some sort of steering damper) is being developed. I have yet to see any official statement from FCA however; this issue has been going on for at least a year. I have chosen, as many Cherokee owners have, to just stop towing the Cherokee... at least for now, and hope for a forthcoming solution.

Hopefully someone else on the forum, perhaps someone still actively towing their KL, will update us all.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #19

No Problems Towing, but....

As it turns out, after my 2015 Cherokee Limited was in the shop for over 45 days since October 1, Jeep has decided to buy it back as a lemon. Tomorrow, I will order the soon to be ours 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited. It should come in, in about 6 - 8 weeks.

In the 3,000 miles we towed our Jeep, I never had any issues. No slips, drips, wobbles or any problems. If the car had a better dependability record, it would be the perfect one for us.

The Grand Cherokee tips the scales at 4,700 lbs, or 300 lbs under the limit on the Bay Star. I guess 300 under, is better than 300 over. I will be putting the 5-Star Tune on in the spring, so that should help the low end a little.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...The front wheels begin oscillating back & forth and the Jeep is virtually trying to turn itself over. The only thing stopping that from happening is the tow bar. It's not the tow bar as it happens with both Blue Ox and Roadmaster tow bars. We have an email chain going and if you respond to me I will see to it that you get added....
tompow99: My 2015 Cherokee TH has been very good to me (knock on wood) for about 21,000 miles [so far], though I did experience the violent shaking back-and-forth referenced in Post 16. If I am not already on your list, please add me.

Thanks,

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
We're looking at a 2016 Cherokee Limited as our next toad...any similar reports with 16's??? TIA.
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2014 Cherokee Limited that we have owned since January 2014. We have 32K miles driven and over 20K additional miles being towed.

We have had no issues with the death wobble (knock on wood). We did have our transmission replaced in May of this year, 2015.

I use the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar with a roadmaster quiet hitch. I also have the SMI Airforce One break system.

I am very happy with the comfort and drivability of the car. It is a very easy car to set up for towing. I was a little bummed about the tranny but all is good now and it did not cost a penny to have it replaced. The car drives better with the new tranny than it did with the old so maybe it was a good thing needing the new one.

Just to cover my a$$, I purchased the Mopar lifetime max care bumper to bumper warranty. This takes away stress in case things go wrong in the future.

Stuart
Old 12-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
2016 Cherokee

I can't answer the question regarding the 2016 Cherokee. I would ask the service manager if there have been any changes to the steering system. If not, I would recommend you not buy it as a tow vehicle.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
I hope you don't have the problem. Mine first occurred around 5000 miles and didn't reoccur for another 10,000 miles and then it started to reoccur every 100 miles so I have quit towing it. Jeep has checked it out and everything's just the way it should be.
We have one person in the group who experienced the wobble driving from Canada to California. When they got it to the service center, Jeep looked up the codes and said that their warranty was void.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompow99 View Post
I hope you don't have the problem. Mine first occurred around 5000 miles and didn't reoccur for another 10,000 miles and then it started to reoccur every 100 miles so I have quit towing it. Jeep has checked it out and everything's just the way it should be.
We have one person in the group who experienced the wobble driving from Canada to California. When they got it to the service center, Jeep looked up the codes and said that their warranty was void.
Just curious, What codes could they be seeing that voided their warranty? If that Cherokee was properly set up to tow, with the transfer case in neutral, there should be no way that their warranty could be voided.

I have had numerous transmission issues with mine. The transmission was replaced at 7,000 miles under warranty. Jeep knows that I tow our Cherokee behind our Bay Star and that has never given them reason to question the warranty coverage. As stated in an earlier post, they are now in the process of a buy back on it.

There must be more to this story.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #26

Watch this Jeep. My friend has had the same thing happen with his 2013 Chevy Equinox. Common thread seems to be the electric power steering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=UNmkr4dL1OE
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
As reported earlier in this thread I had the tranny replaced under warranty at about 25k miles. Jeep knew we were towing the Cherokee and it didn't affect the warranty. Towing was a none issue.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Cherokee Death Wobble

I have a 2014 Cherokee Ltd and the 2015 is virtually the same. I experienced the death wobble 4 times before I stopped towing it. It;s frightening and it's hazardous. The Jeep is essentially trying to turn over and the only thing preventing it is the tow bar. The 4th time it happened it destroyed my BlueOx tow bar. When I called BlueOx (thinking it might be a tow bar problem) they referred me to a FMCA forum where I met over 40 people (2014 & 2015 models) that have the problem. The forum is growing weekly. Some have Roadmaster towbars and Roadmaster knows of the problem. It is a well documented Jeep problem and they are supposedly working on a fix. To see what the Death Wobble is you can go on YouTube and search "Jeep Shaking Violently"

Tags
tow, towing