Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:12 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have towed my Jeep Cherokee TH for over 10k miles and have had no such sign of the Death Wobble. People that are getting this need to check actual tow bar height level when towing. If you are outside the +/- 3" that you should be then you are most likely lifting the front of the car up slightly taking weight off the suspension. The tow bar should be as LEVEL as possible.
NO issues here due to having the proper setup.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I have towed my Jeep Cherokee TH for over 10k miles and have had no such sign of the Death Wobble. People that are getting this need to check actual tow bar height level when towing. If you are outside the +/- 3" that you should be then you are most likely lifting the front of the car up slightly taking weight off the suspension. The tow bar should be as LEVEL as possible.
NO issues here due to having the proper setup.
My tow bar has a +/- 4" range. There is only one half inch difference between the motor home and the dinghy in my application, so this is not likely the problem.

I'm happy that you have not experienced the problem. Those of us who have experienced this also have towed many miles before experiencing the problem.

The problem may be that the newer Jeeps have drive-by-wire. The front wheels have no tension to hold the line when towing.

It can happen at any time, any speed; going around corners, going straight. On smooth roads, on rough roads; at highway speeds, at slow speeds.
Many of us have decades of towing experience. We have diesel pushers, front engine gas MHs. We have different brands of tow bars. Some of us use the same towbar setup that worked with previous Wranglers and Libertys that worked fine. We have different braking systems. The only constant is the Jeep Cherokee.

Jeep service departments tell us the problem is with our towbar or hitches, but they admit that they themselves have never towed a dinghy and they have never seen our tow bar or hitch and don't want to.
There are about four dozen of us I know of who have experienced the problem. We are told by service departments and FCA that they have never heard of this; we are the only one.

The tow bar manufacturers are aware of the problem with the Cherokee, but have no solution.

I appreciate any suggestions from others who might have a logical solution. But belittling us is not the same as helping.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...My tow bar has a +/- 4" range. There is only one half inch difference between the motor home and the dinghy in my application, so this is not likely the problem...
X2. My towbar was riding just about perfectly parallel to the ground when I had the "wobble."

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #32

One of the common threads to this issue is the electric steering, or should saylack of any Torque/resistance when it's being towed. I hope that's not the case. As the 2016 Grand Cherokee, that will be my 2015 Cherokee's replacement, has also gone to electric assist power steering.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I was looking at the Cherokee as a new toad possibility in a few months. But reading about the "Death Wobble" I am rethinkng this decision. What is Jeep doing about this?

Also what steps has to be taken to be ready to tow? My Equinox is super easy with just a fuse pull.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I was looking at the Cherokee as a new toad possibility in a few months. But reading about the "Death Wobble" I am rethinkng this decision. What is Jeep doing about this?

Also what steps has to be taken to be ready to tow? My Equinox is super easy with just a fuse pull.
Nothing special outside of the normal base plate, light and brake setup. No fuses to pull, just follow mfg procedure to place into neutral for 4 flat towing.
I did forget make sure it has Active Drive II or it's not flat towable.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Although I have discussed the problem thoroughly with my dealer and written numerous letters to Jeep, I have never heard back from Jeep however according to the editor of FMCA magazine Jeep is aware of the problem and working on a fix. An announcement is rumored to be made by the end of the month.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the update.

Edit: Anyone using the ReadyBrake/Brute towbar with the Cherokee? The width of the connectors are 9" wider than what I am using on my Equinox.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #37

FCA finally admits problems with flat towing Cherokee

Thanks to FMCA and Family Motor Coaching Magazine for their support.

Today, Fiat Chrysler Automotive made an announcement:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) has announced plans for resolving a problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-16 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down behind a motorhome.

FCA released a statement in response to inquiries by Family Motor Coaching magazine and concerns of a number of Jeep owners who reported problems when flat towing their Cherokees. The owners reported that the vehicle sometimes wobbles significantly, raising safety concerns. The wobble reportedly has occurred at slow speeds and at highway speeds, and has happened with a variety of motorhomes and towing systems. The only way to stop the wobble, owners have said, is to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

The FCA statement said: “Under certain operating conditions, such as traveling excessively bumpy or poorly maintained roads, the flat-towed vehicle may not consistently track in line with the tow vehicle.” The cause, according to the statement: “The vehicle’s Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system is inactive while the vehicle is being flat-towed with the ignition in the ‘off’ position. Accordingly, the vehicle does not benefit from the system’s function.”

A Jeep official said the company knows of several dozen Cherokee owners who have experienced the problem. For those owners, FCA will “provide a complimentary jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicle’s EPS system has power to function while it is being flat-towed. These components have been engineered and validated by FCA US LLC and will be made available to all customers through MOPAR, as early as January 29. In addition, all Cherokee owners will be contacted directly by FCA US and provided with updated instructions for flat-towing. These instructions supersede all previous instructions. Also, the vehicle’s online owners manual will be updated.”
Family Motor Coaching brought the problem to the attention of Fiat Chrysler in September 2015 after an FMCA member contacted the magazine and provided a link to a video showing a Cherokee wobbling as it was being towed behind a motorhome. FCA assigned engineers and technicians to investigate and resolve the problem.

For more information, Cherokee owners can call the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at(877) 426-5337.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
This is great news and I'm glad FCA is standing behind their product. Once they release the 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited in the new Light Brownstone color we will downsize from our Grand Cherokee Limited which has served us well for over 10 years and 165,000 miles.
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfh2o View Post
This is great news and I'm glad FCA is standing behind their product. Once they release the 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited in the new Light Brownstone color we will downsize from our Grand Cherokee Limited which has served us well for over 10 years and 165,000 miles.
That is the color and model that I am looking at. Do you know when it will be released? Also will the new 2016 models have this jumper wiring?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
I read somewhere that it will be released in April. I believe the jumper will be upon request for those of us that will use it as a toad. I'll negotiate that the dealer install it as part of the deal.
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #41
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfh2o View Post
Does anyone actually know if the "jumper wiring" actually fixes the issue/problem?

I certainly hope so, I have been looking at swapping our CRV for a Cherokee...
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #42
WDW

I've put the service manager at a major jeep dealer on the trail of this news. I expect to hear from him next week when we're there for service. I will share what I found out. I hope others will so that we can compare notes.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing