Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Does anyone have experience towing a 2015 Jeep Cherokee

Hi, we are looking at a 2015 cherokee 4x4. Does anyone have experience with towing one? Any problems or issue to worry about?

Steve

SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

We have a 2015 Cherokee Limited. I will state the obvious. You MUST have the Active Drive II, to be towable 4-down. We have the V6, so we do not have the active shutters feature. I will say that the front end of the car is sealed up pretty well, with both upper and lower panels.

As for towing, we have towed ours for close to 1,000 miles and have had no problems. It tracks well and seems to not have any problems. I will tell you that there are some who have had problems with their Chrerokee, with what hat been called similar the the 'Death Wobble' experienced by oldder Jeep Wrangler owners. Some have said that an increase of camber or toe-in will cure the problem. I have also heard of problems with the 9 speed transmission, but I believe they were confined to the 2014 model.

I have not experienced ANY problems with ours. List off the steps for setting it up to be towed, and follow them every time. I always look in the mirrors as I pull away. I zig-zag to get the towbar arms locked, and also verify that the rear wheels are turning freely.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

We traded our 2012 Mercedes GLK 350 4Matic with about 20,000 miles on our 2015 Trailhawk. Just no way to tow th GLK 4 down, unfortunately.

I will say we are surprisingly pleased with the the TH. We have done 4 trips, and over 2,200 miles since March when we got the Coach towing the Jeep every mile, and the Jeep has 3500 driving miles since we got it in late Dec. Not really fond of the auto stop / start, so it has become automatic to just turn it off. I also think it would be better in a Jeep is to go back to a key vs keyless ignition switch and manual parking brake, as both would make going into tow mode easier from my perspective (and probably more appropriate for off round use too).

However, Jeep and our dealer tech support have been very disappointing given the one issue / question I have had, at least vs. what I have had with various European dealers that I had become accustomed to. The reason for dealing with them, was there seemed to be a bit of a nuance to smoothly disengage the transfer case, which requires shifting from N to P to tow (yes, the tranny is in P, while the transfer case is in N). The trick seems to be to be smooth and quick, and not to pause in R, which is feedback I got from this forum. Jeep was horrible, my dealer generally non responsive. See Putting new Jeep into flat tow mode

The other nuance seems related to ensuring the electronic parking brake is off, which seems to require starting the engine up after you have done the rest of the process to put it in tow mode.

To ensure all is good when we start, I walk along while my wife starts pulling forward (after checking the lights). I try to walk around 2 or 3 items while she is slowing moving, to ensure the parking brake is off, and nothing is binding up (this is related to the first time we had an issue getting the transfer case properly disengaged). I also try to get a good look in the mirrors on my first L and R turns, and of course checking the rear camera along the way.

I'll also note we have a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, and the SMI stay in play duo braking system that we had our RV dealer install. Both are great, and make hook up to the coach very easy.

In short, and while I have noted some challenges and nuances, we REALLY like the Cherokee Trailhawk, and don't really miss the GLK.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow a 2015 Cherokee Lattitude 4wd with Drive II. Have not had any problems with transfer case disengagement or park. I use the jeep as my run around car also and. Am very happy with it. We also use Blue Ox tow bar and brake system.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This might be the problem

Safehold

Safehold is a safety feature of the Electric Park Brake

System that will engage the park brake automatically if

the vehicle is left unsecured while the ignition switch is

in RUN.

For automatic transmissions, the park brake will automatically

engage if all of the following conditions are

met:

The vehicle is at a standstill

There is no attempt to depress the brake pedal or

accelerator pedal

The seat belt is unbuckled

The driver door is open
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

The only time that I have had the park brake automatically set was when I tried to move the car without seatbelt on and door open. I was coming to back it up about 20 feet. Well, after 10 feet the park brake engaged so fast and hard, I thoight I backed into something. Do not like that park brake. It's either on or off. There is no middle ground.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

rream, I think you found the answer to the auto park brake engagement!

I know that I have at least 1 or 2 of those things, and maybe even all of them happening (like seat belt not buckled for one for certain) when I am hooking up. Thanks, I'll pay attention to that list next time.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I will tell you that there are some who have had problems with their Chrerokee, with what hat been called similar the the 'Death Wobble' experienced by oldder Jeep Wrangler owners. Some have said that an increase of camber or toe-in will cure the problem.
I have a 2014 Cherokee Latitude I HAVE experienced the death wobble.

The Jeep rocks the motor home back and forth. The only way to stop it is to bring the coach to a complete stop, where ever you are. If you continue driving, it will get worse. The MH is next to impossible to control.

John
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...The Jeep rocks the motor home back and forth. The only way to stop it is to bring the coach to a complete stop, where ever you are. If you continue driving, it will get worse. The MH is next to impossible to control...
I have a 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk and experienced it for the first time today. Also am using the BlueOx tow bar and brake system.

Am not a happy camper right now.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

Here is another perspective on this issue that was on another forum. It related to a similar issue with another vehicle, but also notes it seems to apply to the Jeep as well.

While this is not my post (I did ask the person who wrote this if it was ok to post here), it appears to be a logical consideration. I will also add this to the other similar thread.

Regards

The car is towable in all but a certain peculiar circumstance that causes the front wheels to oscillate left and right. That circumstance is when the toad vehicle is being turned left or right and the wheels have to roll over a dip or bump in the roadway at very low speeds. Such as entering a highway or turning a moderate sharp corner at very low speeds. As the wheels travel over the bump and turn at the same time there is a pronounced change in the alignment geometry called the included angle of turn. When the wheels begin to correct back to center there is not sufficient positive castor to keep the wheels from over correcting thus you get "Bump Steer".

This condition will not occur when the vehicle is under it's own power since the power steering is acting as a force damper to control the positioning of the front wheels.

It will also not happen under braking since the braking action of each wheel again acts as a force damper to control wheel movement.

The Ford Cmax is not the only vehicle to exhibit this condition, I believe the newer Jeep Cherokee models have this tendency as well as some Asian imports.

Hope this helps explain what's going on ....
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Towing the 2015 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Hi, we are looking at a 2015 cherokee 4x4. Does anyone have experience with towing one? Any problems or issue to worry about?

Steve
As a followup, we did buy the 2015 Cherokee. We have a grand total of 3500 driving miles under it's own power and just over 6000 miles in 8 weeks of towing it behind the motorhome.

Driving it is fun, we even drove it off road a few times in 4 wheel drive, a true kick. Had lunch at a lake - off road.

Towing it was a concern at first. I'd read the check list off and double check every item. In freewheeling - check, SHIFT in PARK - check, Parking brake Off - check....

While I have the checklist in my head, I still read the paper list and check every item.

For the first half of the trip I'd have one eye on the road and the other on the rear view camera to make certain the jeep was not in the "death wobble". I relaxed as time went on and checked less frequently. The car towed great! Not one issue with it. It did get dirty, lot of road grime but the Guardian protect the paint, not one chip! (And we did hit a lot of bad roads.)

Great Toad! Glad we bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847 (640x480).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	107088  
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeep

Glad you are happy with your jeep! We also are very happy with our Cherokee and haven't had any problems after towing for several thousand miles. Hopefully the few that have had problems will be able to get them corrected.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
WDW

Does anyone have experience towing a 2015 Jeep Cherokee

I'm hoping you folks get the issues all resolved! LOL! I'm learning a lot from your experiences, so thank you for sharing!

We've got a new '15 Latitude and are negotiating on a new MH. We pretty sure we want a Roadmaster Falvon 2 hitch and RVI2 break. However I've not found a dealer that will quote a package for less than $4k.

I might have to use string....

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
I have a 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk and experienced it for the first time today. Also am using the BlueOx tow bar and brake system.

Am not a happy camper right now.

\ken
Ken,

Have you had any work done to your TH recently? New Tires, Alignment? Anything ? Anything different in the condition it was towed in? Gas tank full or empty?

I'm starting to get worried!! If it happens to me, there will be a 2015 Limited on the market. I have enough to worry about, without adding that on.

I have not heard of one person that has experienced this condition, that has been able to correct it.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing