RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Always!
Tow bar and drop are both locked to the MH and both arms of the towbar are locked to the Jeep.
I had a pin removed on a utility trailer at Home Depot once. There were some young adults on bikes around and they seemed a little too interested in my leaving so I stopped and checked. The through pin holding the ball on was gone. Luckily I had a spare so no damage.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I always check my tow bar, after stopping. I have on occasion used zip ties on the pins. They are a deterrent, but easily removed.

pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #17

Locking pins on the tow bar bot at the car and motorhome side. Piece of mind even though I do a walk around and check at every stop. As for time for unhooking and weight that is silly.

Some people talk about being able to save the car if there is a fire, the most likely fire that is going to happen while the toad is hooked up to my diesel pusher motorhome with a residential fridge is an engine fire. There is no way I am going to try to save the car if one of the engines is on fire, the insurance companies can own both the units and I will stay safe with DW and the dog.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Absolutely. Pins are always locked when towing. Towbar locked to motorhome.
Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had tow bar pins pulled while sleeping in ontario canada once! Noticed in the am and pre drive check, never again, always lock left and right side of towbar to baseplate. I use very short locks so that bolt cutters cant get to them. Once is all it takes, fires.... that's insurance issues. Wife and fur babies come first.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #20
dp7

Only lock mine when overnighting at a Walmart. Just takes one panhandler that felt that they were not treated fairly to ruin your day!

This is the same reason I added an engine compartment lock on the jeep & motorhome
Old 10-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #21

Thanks for all your replys. The reason I brought this up was that I watched a YouTube last night of some folks that this happened to. They did a video of replacing their very old Roadmaster tow bar. While they were talking they mentioned that their pins has been pulled, they drove off, saw the car was not secured, went to stop and the the car plowed into the back of their rig. They said it caused lots and lots of damage to both rig and car. So, they were showing locks that they purchased that replace the pins that go through baseplate slots. They also, of course as we do too, put a lock on the tow bar itself on the coach.
I understand your concerns about being able to disconnect quickly in case of a emergency so not fumbling with keys. We have always completed a walk around when we stop at rest stops. We started out towing our car on a dolly so you know that goes. Tightening those straps at many rest stops was always a chore. So much easier with the car being flat towed now.
I guess we will just keep checking the system each time that we stop. Hubby is sure it would hard to pull those pins out since sometimes he has to knock the pins out when we stop (it only seems to happens if we are slightly off center from the rig). Only time will tell.....
maryinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
One time I found one of the spring pins popped loose and working out. This was after a long day driving and some rough highways. Now both base plate pins and receiver pin have match keyed locks with keys on toad key ring and MH ring. If I had the time to disconnect in an emergency situation, I think removing the one receiver pin and backing away taking tow bar with the toad would be much faster than trying to remove tension on the tow arms and removing 2 pins.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not lock the pins. After stops I will do a walk around precheck of the coach, tow bar and toad. I do carry a set extra pins.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE

I'm relatively new to RVing, only 7 years. I don't tow. I've yet to meet anyone this has happened to but hear about it nonetheless. Somebody's brothers cousins ex-wifes third husband had it happen, though!

I'd be interested if anyone knows of verifiable media reports - newspaper article, TV station report, etc - that can show this has happened more than a couple of times. I'm sure there are uncivilized folks who might find this funny but who actually did it... I suspect this is more urban legend than actual reality.

That said, I'd consider locks as theft deterrence, and my bet is the rate of theft of tow stuff left on the RV is about as minuscule as theft of in-line surge protectors - yeah, it's happened but not to you or anyone you know more than in passing.

It's good to be prudent but it's unhealthy to be paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Had tow bar pins pulled while sleeping in ontario canada once! Noticed in the am and pre drive check, never again, always lock left and right side of towbar to baseplate. I use very short locks so that bolt cutters cant get to them. Once is all it takes, fires.... that's insurance issues. Wife and fur babies come first.
There you go solo RV guy. Now you know it's not urban legend. Glad we've debunked that one.

Fire? Let it burn. Not worth your life to save a toad.

Corroded locks? Nope, I take care of my equipment.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #25

Have always used a locking pin where the tow-bar goes into the frame hitch of the MH. Usually, don't lock the tow-bar pins at the base plate, but I always do a walk-around when stopping at rest stops. We usually never leave the MH & toad unattended when stopping at Walmart. One of us (DW or me) always stays with our rig and pooch. If for some reason, the rig will be unattended, I have two small combination locks that fit thru the pins. I purposely bought combination locks to avoid messing with even more keys.

Oh, and if we have our bicycles on the back of the toad, we have heavy duty bike locks to keep them there.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinred View Post
I have read that some sick people find pleasure in pushing the pins out of the baseplate and watching the coach take off with their toads dragging behind them. It can cause quite a bit of damage once you realize it and stop the coach causing the car to ram into the back of coach. I am not one of these people that has had this happened but I have read about this happening a couple of times, so far. I have approached this with my husband and he says that it takes a lot of force to have a pin come out and it would probably not happen. I guess it usually happens in a rest stops when people are not diligent in checking their towing equipment. He says that he doesn't want to add weight to our system and an added step to hooking up. I am always on the side of prevention. What do all of you say? Do you do this added step? I do put a padlock on my baseplate bar. Don't want someone walking away with the bar which stays on my car when we park. Thanks for your comments.
ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! Never even a question. ALWAYS USE A LOCK AND KEEP IT LOCKED!!!! PERIOD!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinred View Post
I have read that some sick people find pleasure in pushing the pins out of the baseplate . . . .
I suspect these tales are actually the result persons connecting the toad who fail to properly insert the pins. Kind of like the stories of toads that randomly jump in gear and catch fire as a result.

I've been towing for 20 years and have yet to have a single issue with pins. Mine will remain unlocked. I always do a full walk around check of everything immediately before getting underway. Your mileage may vary.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used locks on my drop hitch, towbar and pins since day 1. And they've been 100% successful!

Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseplate