Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes we do.
all the pins have a lock and the tow bar and its adapter as well. anything with a hitch pin has a lock. to many turkeys out there now days
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #30

We use locks. Started because our first toad was a Wrangler with a soft top that required the key be left in the ignition to unlock the steering. Didn't want to leave the rig sightseeing somewhere and come back to find the Jeep gone. Now we continue to lock the because we always have.
dandrhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #31

I always use locks instead of pins. And a non-chipped key in the Jeep starter switch.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I meet a gentleman that said while at a truck stop he went in to have lunch. After lunch, he went out and got in the truck and started to drive off and 5er fell on his bed rails. He heard some laughing and a group of teenagers had their cell phones taking pictures. No proof they were the ones but when he approached them they jump in their car and speed away. The truck stop had cameras on their fueling lanes and the police got the license plate numbers and tracked them down. The police said they had a video of the entire incident on the kid's cell phones and had posted it to facebook.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have a lock on my tow bar so it doesn't disappear when the toad isn't connected.

I (we) always do a walkaround check before departing from any stop.
Yes
Smart
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #34
doc

Appalachian Campers
Nope. If there is a fire I want to get MsC out first and do my best to save the Jeep Like someone said, no time to fumble with locks. I do use a bungie cord from pin to pin as insurance the pins don't come out if a spring in were to fail.
The towbar is pinned and chained to the hitch frame.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #35

I had one of my pins disappear from my bar while it was attached to the motorhome at the campground. Found out when we got ready to leave and tried to attach the toad. I have locks on every pin.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #36

Tow bar locked to mh, pins at car-end not locked. I carry spare pins and lynch pins.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Marti View Post
Tow bar locked to mh, pins at car-end not locked. I carry spare pins and lynch pins.
Same with us.
We do a walk around with a temp gun first thing everytime we stop and aso inspect for fluid leaks and hitch attachments.

Then a walk around before we pull out again. With a light check.

Its great to stretch and walk also. [emoji106][emoji6][emoji41]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #38

I have locks and have used the same ones with 3 different toads over the 19 yrs. Added security and only takes a couple seconds to lock/unlock them.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #39

Nope,
No locks. I'll be danged if I'm gonna let a $45K Jeep burn up with the coach, if I could have saved it. Been to waaaaaaaaaaay too many RV fires in my career that didn't come any where near burning up the toad along with the coach. Each person has to deem what's right for them. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always lock them for theft of toad as the ignition keys are in it. When I purchased equipment from blue Ox the Locke were part of the package. Keys are easy and not sticky do the covers. Love the blue ox Aladdin as its aluminum and light weight.
Ukulele doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #41

I have a lock from my Blue Ox to the rig, and at each of the pins to the baseplate. My baseplate is bolted and torqued to 200ftlbs. Doubt any prankster could access unless they have a lot of time!

I haven't seen any disconnects, but have caught a prankster at a routine fuel stop at the Flying J in Wilcox AZ. He opened the door on my toad, put the toad in gear, and applied the handbrake. I notified management, their security called the local police, and the matter was handled.

Please do a thorough walk-around at each stop, no matter how short or secure you think the area is. You can't trust anybody these days!
The Ol Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #42

I lock everything. Not because someone is going to want to cause some damage to our rig but rather because I don’t want things to walk off when not being used. People disconnecting pins etc does not happen very often. Theft, well that’s something that happens too often.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseplate