RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #71

Kirkusfixer

I actually had this happen to me in a roadside park. They pulled out one j clip and later on down the road the pin worked out and the toad looked around the corner of the motor home and looked at me in the outside rear view mirror. Now I lock them all the time. Two little pad locks from Walmart.

P0ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
There you go solo RV guy. Now you know it's not urban legend. Glad we've debunked that one.

Fire? Let it burn. Not worth your life to save a toad.

Corroded locks? Nope, I take care of my equipment.

One out over over 100,000 towed cars does not a trend make, but it's real for the one we've heard about.

I frequently say do whatever makes your tow safe and comfortable. If this makes you comfortable, do it, but let's not conflate 1 report to be some kind of runaway vandalism trend. It might be equally useful to simply avoid the part of Canada this was reported in... (same logic applies).

Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
One out over over 100,000 towed cars does not a trend make, but it's real for the one we've heard about.

I frequently say do whatever makes your tow safe and comfortable. If this makes you comfortable, do it, but let's not conflate 1 report to be some kind of runaway vandalism trend. It might be equally useful to simply avoid the part of Canada this was reported in... (same logic applies).
You said it's an urban myth. Now you're saying trend? I stated it's not an urban legend as evidenced by this thread. There has been more than one post in this thread that said it happened to them or someone they know.

Everyone has to do what they feel good about, but dismissing it because you have no experience with it happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #74

It happened to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Heard the stories of pins being pulled but have never heard of someone with first hand knowledge of it happening to them. Seems the story is always from uncle Joe's second cousin's brother.
We decided to indulge ourselves so we stayed at a beautiful BnB in a waterfront residential community in SC. We parked the coach in the parking area. Overnight someone did that to us, the least likely place! Fortunately the chains held and hubby seen it almost right away. We learned our lesson.
Mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #75

Always lock towbars to pins in baseplate. Only time I used those cheap Walmart non-locking linch pins, I lost my toad altogether.
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #76

For those of you that donít beleive in locks for the pins; do you carry a bunch of spare pins in case some idiot does steal yours? A low cost set of keyed alike locks, some preventitive oil on occasion and you should be good. Disconnect in a hurry? Donít most coach fires (which rarely happen, I might add) occur in the engine department. Not a problem with a gas unit with the engine in the front. But a DP? Tell me you are gonna try and disconnect your toad with a smoking fire a few feet from your face! Pulling the pins alone without locks on them is tough. I do a walk around before & after any stop. And I use locks.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #77

Can someone post a photo or a link to the pin locks your speaking of?
Thank you.
lnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Being a 30+yr veteran truck driver,,I have learned to do routine walk around checks,especially checking your fifth wheel pin locking mechanism. Too may times I've seen trucks pull away and drop their trailer because some A hole pulled the pin on fifth wheel while the driver was sleeping or away from his truck. It is sad but unfortunately it is true there are people out there that think stuff like that is funny. ALWAYS do a walk around and visual check of your rig when you stop somewhere,even if you just go in the store to pay for your fuel. It only takes a few seconds to unhook a pin or clip. Travel safe.
C and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:22 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had Both safety chain fasteners removed on my dolly at a Burger King stop in the couv.
I guess it was Vandalism. No reason otherwise.
I caught it because of the dragging noise in my bu-rear view cam mike.
I had to replace both chains.
Now I use locks on everything, mostly keyed alike.
I now do a walk around every time.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnicols View Post
Can someone post a photo or a link to the pin locks your speaking of?
Thank you.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Pad...late_Lock.aspx

Attached Images

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #81
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Does anyone lock their baseplate pins?

I use the Blue Ox locking pins.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX881.../dp/B001DMFOQY

Name:   IMG_8571.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  18.3 KB
Old 10-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I do not lock the pins. After stops I will do a walk around precheck of the coach, tow bar and toad. I do carry a set extra pins.
We do the exact same thing .

We always carry spare pins
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I do the same. Is the problem of someone removing pins a rampant problem? Probably not. Does it happen? Probably. How frequently? I don't know. The Blue Ox locking pins are relatively inexpensive (in the grand scheme of things), simple to use and provide peace of mind for me.
2xIronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #84

I have just bought all the gear and will be towing my 2015 Jeep Wrangler behind us this winter. After reading all the posts on this thread the Boy Scout in me decided to "be prepared" for any azzhole who wants to mess with my pins. I already bought a matched set of 5/8" locking hitch pins for my receiver hitch to drop hitch and for the drop hitch to the tow bar. I bought a Ready Brute Elite II tow bar and I really like the pins that came with it. They have bright red handles so they're easy to check and grab. The tow bar uses Blue Ox clevises (1/2" size) to attach to my Currier base plate on the Jeep. I was going to buy a matched set of 1/2" locking hitch pins but decided to try something else first. I had a bunch of brass mini Master Locks around the house so I found 2 that were keyed the same and tried them in the end of the baseplate hitch pins. They fit in the hole along with the cotter pin. Cost $0, my favorite price! Will these small locks stop a determined thief with bolt cutters? Obviously no, but they will stop the vandals, teenagers and other degenerates that decide to mess with the pins on the spur of the moment which I am sure that 99.99% of these incidents are. And, I will carry spare pins, lube the locks and check my connections before driving out of a parking lot anyway. I'm the type of guy who when something requires 2 nails I put in 4 screws. They don't call me Captain Overkill for nothing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	264240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6407.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	264241  

Tags
baseplate