RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #99

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbyBus View Post
I lock my pins for theft reasons. Jeeps aren't the most secure and the keys are in the ignition!

My friend discovered someone pulled the cotter pins from his towbar pins in a restaurant parking lot.
My '14 Wrangler JKU doesn't have a lock on the steering column so the doors are locked and the keys are in my pocket.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #100
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
I have had the misfortune in that my toad caught on fire while we were towing it. Locking pins are wonderful when parked particularly over night or what might seem nefarious places, however during actual towing should something go wrong having to find your key or deal with some sort of combination to separate your toad from coach, you will revel in that one less step so I am for checking, not locking.
With all due respect, but if my MH was burning up I probably wouldn't want to be too close to it. We have a DP and, since we have a residential fridge and not a propane one, the most likely place for a fire to start would be in the engine compartment. Since there's only a few feet from the engine to the toad, if there was an engine fire I would probably let the toad fend for itself. It's insured, as is the MH.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With all due respect, but if my MH was burning up I probably wouldn't want to be too close to it. We have a DP and, since we have a residential fridge and not a propane one, the most likely place for a fire to start would be in the engine compartment. Since there's only a few feet from the engine to the toad, if there was an engine fire I would probably let the toad fend for itself. It's insured, as is the MH.
Good point however if there was a decent chance I would try and in this case my toad was smoking and I wanted separate it from my DP. It was not down to seconds but not having to fumble for a key, I pulled the pin and drove my motor home forward. Again when I am stopped and AWAY from my coach I lock my pin because I am usually in my toad and I don’t want the tow bar taken with my bikes on it but when I am on the road I make the point of checking it before I roll and I have a few spare pins just in case someone is being an ass. Unfortunately life has plethora of calculated and in calculated risk....I was a lineman, if the voltage did not kill me the fall would just as most of us would run back into a burning building for their cat.....it’s a good thing to be able to choose your risk then to have one thrown at you.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have had the misfortune in that my toad caught on fire while we were towing it. Locking pins are wonderful when parked particularly over night or what might seem nefarious places, however during actual towing should something go wrong having to find your key or deal with some sort of combination to separate your toad from coach, you will revel in that one less step so I am for checking, not locking.

WDK
I'm for everyone doing what makes them happy. There is no wrong or right both work. But just to keep clarity here.

The Key for the Blue Ox locks is a barrel lock with a locator notch on the key.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks...BWTS51235.html

I keep the key attached to my JEEP key, also one on the Coach keys and the other four are in a box in the coach. So it is in my pocket all of the time. Can't start the car without it. Never a problem and as folks have said it doesn't really take any longer to unhook with the locks. We all know that the angle on the bar in relation to the pins binds the pin and causes more problems unhooking than the time difference between getting a keyed lock undone and using the snap pin locks.

If it's that time sensitive that I need Earnhardt's pit crew to get it off it will just have to burn with the coach or the other way around. But with them locked and the key in my pocket I know the tow isn't leaving me except for a mechanical of some kind.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I'm for everyone doing what makes them happy. There is no wrong or right both work. But just to keep clarity here.

The Key for the Blue Ox locks is a barrel lock with a locator notch on the key.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks...BWTS51235.html

I keep the key attached to my JEEP key, also one on the Coach keys and the other four are in a box in the coach. So it is in my pocket all of the time. Can't start the car without it. Never a problem and as folks have said it doesn't really take any longer to unhook with the locks. We all know that the angle on the bar in relation to the pins binds the pin and causes more problems unhooking than the time difference between getting a keyed lock undone and using the snap pin locks.

If it's that time sensitive that I need Earnhardt's pit crew to get it off it will just have to burn with the coach or the other way around. But with them locked and the key in my pocket I know the tow isn't leaving me except for a mechanical of some kind.
.....that’s a good idea to keep your keys together like that though it has happed to me so believe me when I tell you that when someone pulls up beside you trying to wave you over to tell you your toad is smoking and then you look in your rear view mirror to check unless your training yourself for this test the first thing you do is pull over, jump out, run back and see what is happening with my DP still running. As you said if it was that time sensitive I would just walk away but again I don’t lock my tow bar while rolling but if I did I would take a tip from you and keep that key in my pocket.

I won’t state the make of the car but having a 5 speed manual transmission, the vehicle not more than 3 months old with enough play in it to shift into gear after hitting a bump as was suspected, I was pulling in gear for perhaps a couple of miles before being discovered and my drive train started smoking.

WDK
Old 10-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
.I won’t state the make of the car but having a 5 speed manual transmission, the vehicle not more than 3 months old with enough play in it to shift into gear after hitting a bump as was suspected, I was pulling in gear for perhaps a couple of miles before being discovered and my drive train started smoking.WDK
Not a good plan by no means. So what are you doing to prevent this from happening again? BTW you should name the car so others are aware of this issue. No car should pop into gear no matter how hard of bump it hits.

Just made a deal on my second JEEP Grand Cherokee. Quada Trac 4 x 4 is the only answer as far as I'm concerned. Start the car, foot on the brake, shift into N, depress indented small button right behind the shifter, hold a few seconds until red light goes from blinking to solid, release the button, shut the car off, place trans into P, restart the car to insure it is in P and Bob's your uncle it is in tow mode. Then we check lights and see that the JEEP's four wheels are turning freely by moving the coach a few feet. After the drive, start the car, foot on brake, shift into N, depress the button and wait for the "Clunk" (that's the transfer case re-engaging), shift into P and disconnect. Both processes take less than 20 seconds.

25 k miles on the 2017 JEEP behind two coach's and not one problem.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #105

Quote:
.....I won’t state the make of the car but having a 5 speed manual transmission, the vehicle not more than 3 months old with enough play in it to shift into gear after hitting a bump as was suspected, I was pulling in gear for perhaps a couple of miles before being discovered and my drive train started smoking.
WDK
What ended up being the damage to the vehicle?
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #106

Quote:
Not a good plan by no means. So what are you doing to prevent this from happening again? BTW you should name the car so others are aware of this issue. No car should pop into gear no matter how hard of bump it hits.

Just made a deal on my second JEEP Grand Cherokee. Quada Trac 4 x 4 is the only answer as far as I'm concerned. Start the car, foot on the brake, shift into N, depress indented small button right behind the shifter, hold a few seconds until red light goes from blinking to solid, release the button, shut the car off, place trans into P, restart the car to insure it is in P and Bob's your uncle it is in tow mode. Then we check lights and see that the JEEP's four wheels are turning freely by moving the coach a few feet. After the drive, start the car, foot on brake, shift into N, depress the button and wait for the "Clunk" (that's the transfer case re-engaging), shift into P and disconnect. Both processes take less than 20 seconds.

I brought a brand new GMC Terrain with an automatic transmission with the insurance money. The toad was totaled with over 19,000 in damage. The drive train was fried and burned hole through the engine.

WDK
Old 10-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I brought a brand new GMC Terrain with an automatic transmission with the insurance money. The toad was totaled with over 19,000 in damage. The drive train was fried and burned hole through the engine.

WDK
You never said the brand of the fist faulty tow. Or I missed it someplace.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

You are lucky, I have a 2017 Grand Cherokee and have had the death wobble three times. We are. concerned enough that we now tow a Ford Edge. Here is more info on the subject.
New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 PM   #109

Private message me if you want to know....and it has happens before....same make and model.

WDK

Tags
baseplate