Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Elkhartjim;1048967]The Demco comes standard with trailer tires, not automotive tires. Demco recommends the tire pressure for a reason and by lowering the pressure you can risk premature tire failure. Demco has a very good customer service group and I would suggest contacting them about the weaving situation and get their input on running the tires at a lower than recommended pressure.[/QUOTE
X 2. I tow with the tire pressure at max 50lb. and have never had a problem. Our vehicle weighs 3200 lbs. Do you have the vehicle on the dolly staight?
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #16

Vehicle was straight on the dolly with both fronts against the wheel stop. The blue ox stabilizer posted above looks interesting. Dano
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two things. Check the wheel alignment of the dolly and perhaps the tread pattern of the tires is causing the tires to track.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please call Demco for their opinion. (888) 689-1810 or http://www.towdemco.com/customerservice/contactus.html
Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the OM as well as sent Demco a message. Much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a Demco 2 and have used it to tow a 05 VW bug convertable & 09 Honda Fit using both Trailer 50psi & car tires set at 32psi. Never had a wondering problem. Check alignment or maybe a bent wheel. gps
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #21

I am towing a Fusion on a Master Tow - put a couple thousand miles on last year with no wander.... As i am not familiar with the Vibe - do you tow it with front wheels "locked" or "unlocked" ? If the front wheels are "unlocked" (able to steer) could it be a case of multiple pivot points? Just Thinking Agree a call to Demco seems to be in line..
Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #22

Just joined the site and want to chime in on the Demco wagging issue. Ive had the issue since day one and noone, including Demco customer svc has been much help. Lowering pressure a little is worth a try as no one made that suggestion yet. Toad is an Acura TL-S. I'll report back as to how it works out.
cmipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot View Post
Just joined the site and want to chime in on the Demco wagging issue. Ive had the issue since day one and noone, including Demco customer svc has been much help. Lowering pressure a little is worth a try as no one made that suggestion yet. Toad is an Acura TL-S. I'll report back as to how it works out.
welcome to the irv2 forum.

what kind of coach do you have? you can add this info to your signature file.
my moho had a serious tail wagging problem. i could see the hitch moving back and forth on the backup camera screen. i fixed that by adding a rear track bar from brazels rv.
i also added a hitch immobilizer to take the wiggle out of the hitch coupling.
any movement at the rear of your moho will be amplified by the long dolly tongue.

Blue Ox - Drop Receivers
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot
Welcome to the site. I'm thinking I need to check my hitch height and perhaps add a hitch stabilizer. I haven't pulled my Demco since the first of the year but plan on doing as in the next three weeks with at least verifying my hitch height at 18".
Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #25

My rig is a 31' Coachmen Concord with 3 slides, full Banks package, Bilstein gas shocks and upgraded sway bars. Toad is Acura 3.2 TL/S.

So I spoke again to DEMCO's customer service and was connected to someone who seemed much more knowledgeable than the one I spoke to earlier. Long story short, could be one of several problems, and remember, I only have the issue when towing it empty.

1. Ball height not at exactly 18", ground to the top of the ball. I've checked that and I'm ok.
2. Locking pin for steering stabilizer not in place. That's not the issue.
3. Worn bushings in the wheel carriers. Not exactly sure yet what those are, but I've only pulled it about 3,000 miles total.
4. Out of toe/in/out adjustment. This could be. And, there is a section in the owners manual that gives the procedure to do the adjustment. I'll tackle that to confirm proper position.
5. Out of alignment. Ditto #4.
6. Need to check the tightness of the bracing struts that run at an angle up to the tongue of the tow dolly. I'll check that tomorrow.
7. Tie rod clamps secure. This will be checked as well.
8.Slides missing in the brake actuator allowing it to move excessively side to side. Hadn't thought to look at that either, but, interestingly, the DEMCO guy mentioned that the model number on the Hydraulic Brake Actuator, stamped on the casing, will be either DA 603 or DA 91. I'm supposed to call back with the number, because they've apparently had issues with one or the other of those losing some parts and he indicated that they'd help with replacing them, if they're gone.

So, that's what I know now about the problem. I'll continue to update as I move forward with the checks and testing.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #26

quick update...I followed the procedure on Demco's website and did indeed find that the toe in needs adjusting. It was almost an inch out of parameters. Very sloppy assembly from the original dealer I purchased from, who shall remain nameless. I will get this taken care of this coming weeked and will be anxious to then tow empty and see if this finally fixes the issue. I'll let you know.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #27

Sorry for the delay on this but life intervenes. Have now towed both with tbe Acura and unloaded on the Demco and can happily report that fixing the alignment has finally fixed the problem. What a relief. Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot View Post
Sorry for the delay on this but life intervenes. Have now towed both with tbe Acura and unloaded on the Demco and can happily report that fixing the alignment has finally fixed the problem. What a relief. Thanks again for the input.
You must feel much safer now! Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for reporting back.