Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #29

Thanks for the update cmipilot. Was the alignment as simple as it sounds? Turns out my hitch was at 20" and I lowered it to 18". Now I would put it in the garage and check the alignment before I head out on my 3000 mile voyage in June

Dan
'99 American Dream

Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Demco KK dolly and tow a Mini Cooper which weighs 2500#. The dolly doesn't wander and we keep the tires @ 50psi. The manual for the dolly indicated that the hitch should be @ 18" from the ground.We keep the hitch @ 19" due to the low clearance of the car. If your height is significantly different adjust the height or call Demco before making any other adjustments.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot View Post
quick update...I followed the procedure on Demco's website and did indeed find that the toe in needs adjusting. It was almost an inch out of parameters. Very sloppy assembly from the original dealer I purchased from, who shall remain nameless. I will get this taken care of this coming weeked and will be anxious to then tow empty and see if this finally fixes the issue. I'll let you know.
Mine came set from the factory and tows just fine.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #32

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
Thanks for the update cmipilot. Was the alignment as simple as it sounds? Turns out my hitch was at 20" and I lowered it to 18". Now I would put it in the garage and check the alignment before I head out on my 3000 mile voyage in June

Dan
'99 American Dream
I had some trouble getting the components involved loosened up so that the adjustments could be done. (Any good penetrating spray lube should work) For the measuring work, I used square aluminum tubing cut to the 24" dimension and c clamped to the bare wheel. I tried to be very careful with the measuring because we're only talking about a sixteenth of an inch toe-in final setting. Mine being so far out of adjustment, I had to turn the tie rod a few full turns to get it close and then measure and micro adjust several times to get it right. Then, tighten everything really well. If you have a torque wrench, that would be good
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot

I had some trouble getting the components involved loosened up so that the adjustments could be done. (Any good penetrating spray lube should work) For the measuring work, I used square aluminum tubing cut to the 24" dimension and c clamped to the bare wheel. I tried to be very careful with the measuring because we're only talking about a sixteenth of an inch toe-in final setting. Mine being so far out of adjustment, I had to turn the tie rod a few full turns to get it close and then measure and micro adjust several times to get it right. Then, tighten everything really well. If you have a torque wrench, that would be good
Did you need to remove the fenders or did you clamp to the tires?
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #34

In the interest of accuracy, I removed the fenders and the tires and clamped the aluminum pieces directly to the bare wheels just above the lugs.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update and glad it all worked out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot View Post
In the interest of accuracy, I removed the fenders and the tires and clamped the aluminum pieces directly to the bare wheels just above the lugs.
Not jerking your chain but just for clarification. Part names can be a little confusing. You had me confused. The part you clamped the straight edge to is commonly called the 'spindle hub' or 'brake drum hub.' In the shop we'd say "clamp it to the brake drum hub face." We were confused when you said you clamped to the 'bare wheels.'

Good job. Thanks for the information.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
Just completed a 2600 mile trip with my Demco Dolly behind my 40' coach and noticed that it seemed to wander back and forth at times. This was my first experience with a dolly and was wondering if it is unusual. Perhaps I need to check the stabilizer or alignment on the dolly?
Had a major sway with a used Demco KarKaddy 460 SS I purchased used. It swayed a good 10" at 30 mph.

After trying several things in the shop all was within tolerances. The big discrepancy was a loose coupler. By loose I mean the ball mount end of the coupler would move left to right more than an inch. It was loose where it mounts in the tongue. Manufactured a shim for each side. Now tows at 65 MPH empty with absolutely no sway. And the tire pressure is at 50 PSI.

Hope my description is understandable. Hope this helps you.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Not jerking your chain but just for clarification. Part names can be a little confusing. You had me confused. The part you clamped the straight edge to is commonly called the 'spindle hub' or 'brake drum hub.' In the shop we'd say "clamp it to the brake drum hub face." We were confused when you said you clamped to the 'bare wheels.'

Good job. Thanks for the information.
You have clarified it perfectly. Sorry for the confusion.
)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Had a major sway with a used Demco KarKaddy 460 SS I purchased used. It swayed a good 10" at 30 mph.

After trying several things in the shop all was within tolerances. The big discrepancy was a loose coupler. By loose I mean the ball mount end of the coupler would move left to right more than an inch. It was loose where it mounts in the tongue. Manufactured a shim for each side. Now tows at 65 MPH empty with absolutely no sway. And the tire pressure is at 50 PSI.

Hope my description is understandable. Hope this helps you.
As I remember from assembling ours there were two shims that went in beside the brake actuator. Sounds like they may have been left out on yours and you corrected the problem.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote