Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

Dollied toad payload question???

RVless noob question # 1! ..Hey my pop said there was no such thing as a dumb question but even as I write this it seems like a pretty dumb one, anyway, in our planned future RV travels we will be dollying our Mazda tribute.
Does the the inclined stance of the toad have any bearing on payload carrying
capacity at all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know, I do know we towed our '05 Ody on a KK-460 dolly loaded with hundreds of #'s of goods, tables and tents for thousands of miles with no trouble. The Ody dry weight is about 4,400#'s and the dolly is another 600#, plus the goods. Probably close to or over 6,000#'s total. Never noticed any add'l wear on the tires or anything else.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #3

I used to tow a Olds Vista Cruiser wagon on my Demco Kar Kaddy II on a regular basis, I also towed the GMC van on the Kaddy for the 250 mile round trip to San Diego. That was many years ago, and I know for a fact I was way overweight. But I was young and foolish then.
Anyway, the dolly held up well, used for about 25 years. I now tow 4 down.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #4

The incline should not, shift any consideable weight to the rear axle, any cargo you load will have more effect. Any heavy items should be placed towards the front, on the back seat floor , to put some of the weight on the front wheels.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a good question. No, I don't believe the incline shifts the weight of the Toad back too much.

To be a smart dolly buyer - check the dolly's weight rating. There's 2 weights given for any dolly...

...The bigger number is the max load for the dolly to pull - or the total MAX weight of the Toad that can be pulled or pushed (during braking) through the dolly tongue.

The smaller number is the weight that the dolly is rated to carry (usually the weight of the front end).

A Mazda Tribute is basically the same car as the Ford Escape. We have and tow a front wheel drive Escape, and it tows very well. I don't know about the 4x4 Tribute/Escape.

The empty weight of the whole car should be on the mfgt's sticker in the drivers door sill...That is the first (bigger) number.

I believe all the dolly's currently sold retail will carry the Tribute...your big worry should be which one to pick 'cuz there's lots of details like how does the dolly brake? (required in most US states where the toad is over 1500lb) or how do the straps and ramps work?

I, and many on this forum have an EZE-tow. It's very well made, is the only dolly sold with surge/disc brakes (no electric controller needed) and has no swivel pan (very affordable/simpler/lighter/little or no risk of jack knifeing).
See it here: Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

Thanks all for your input. Our Mazda is front wheel drive, they don't make a pump for them so dolly it is. But I have a equipment set up designed for the back of it which comes in at around 350lbs, hence the question. Steve thanks for the dolly info.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I believe all the dolly's currently sold retail will carry the Tribute...your big worry should be which one to pick 'cuz there's lots of details like how does the dolly brake? (required in most US states where the toad is over 1500lb) or how do the straps and ramps work?
I believe strongly that toweds should have brakes but to say they are required in most states is totally wrong. There are charts out there that purport to show the towing laws, but they are for trailers, and most of them are wrong, especially when it comes to dinghy towing. They are based on an AAA publication that is wrong, they just parrot the wrong info.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah - the ol' it's not a trailer, so it's not required to have brakes discussion...

...And ya' know even in California (generally accepted to be a state of excessive Gov't control) a little company named U-Haul (ever heard of them?) does not equip it's dolly's with brakes. As long as you tow with big enough truck, U-Haul says you can tow up to 4,500lb on their dolly.

Well, I'm stuck with Ca plates and follow the intent of the law - because a car dolly is described as a trailer under CVC section 550:
14.005 Trailer Definitions
And a trailer that weighs over 1,500lb is required to have brakes.
I'm sure my insurance company is happy that I have brakes on my dolly too.

But, set aside state laws - What if there was a collision involving a RV and the dolly towed behind the RV was part of the cause or it broke free and didn't stop...hitting a bunch of stuff on its unguided journey. I'm sure the RV driver would be facing serious claims of liability in a civil court. I'll pass on that liability.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad