Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Dolly & Bikes on Toad

I'm thinking of towing a Chevy Equinox with a dolly. Thus avoiding all of the modifications to the car.

I also want to bring along two electric bikes and put them on the back of the toad. These bikes weigh about 50 pounds each. I have found a rack that will handle these bikes on the back of the Equinox.

My question is ... with the Equinox up on the dolly and the bikes on the back of the toad ... will there be enough clearance under the bikes ... with the front up, the back will be down.

Any thoughts?

George

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Depends on the bike rack. What did you get?

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

I was concerned about this with regular bikes behind our PT Cruiser. I used a double hitch so I could mount the bikes on the RV above the dolly. I did have to solve the problem with clearance above the surge brake controller. It would not have been a problem with electric brakes. I had a welder raise up the upper receiver enough to provide the needed clearance.

Now that we have a CRV 4-down, we put the bikes on the back.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Depends on the bike rack. What did you get?
Playtime, I have not purchased a rack yet. Still researching.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
I was concerned about this with regular bikes behind our PT Cruiser. I used a double hitch so I could mount the bikes on the RV above the dolly. I did have to solve the problem with clearance above the surge brake controller. It would not have been a problem with electric brakes. I had a welder raise up the upper receiver enough to provide the needed clearance.

Now that we have a CRV 4-down, we put the bikes on the back.
Coupe, Thanks for the tip on a double hitch. I'm now leaning towards towing four flat.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:09 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you reconsider dolly towing...also depends on the dolly...large tires and pivot pan style dollies put the car's tail low.

The EZE Tow by Acme is possibly the lowest dolly made (22" tires and no pivot pan).

We have traveled with a cargo rack in the receiver hitch of our SUV and had no issues.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
If you reconsider dolly towing...also depends on the dolly...large tires and pivot pan style dollies put the car's tail low.

The EZE Tow by Acme is possibly the lowest dolly made (22" tires and no pivot pan).

We have traveled with a cargo rack in the receiver hitch of our SUV and had no issues.

Best luck
Scarab,

And as usual I seesaw back and forth, with your post and the idea of a double hitch on the RV ... dolly towing doesn't sound so bad after all.

Thanks!

So where I'm at right now is
1) An Equinox - tow four down
2) Have an additional choice of an Escape or CRX and tow dolly them.

While the cost is slightly a wash ... minimal head ache at the front of with a tow dolly ... slightly more time each get-up&go ... and quick resell at back end with no modifications ... and only one system to fail.

Still on the fence ... enjoying my deliberations!

Which leads me to another question which I'll ask in another thread.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

If you can do 4 down its the easiest way to go. Obviously good and bad with any setup you choose however if between those two 9/10 times I would do 4 down. Only reason I wouldn't do 4 down is if there was a chance that different vehicles might need to be towed, the dolly allows that.

For me resale of the dolly isn't really a advantage due to the dolly needing a license, tires need maintenance/replaced etc...
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
If you can do 4 down its the easiest way to go. Obviously good and bad with any setup you choose however if between those two 9/10 times I would do 4 down. Only reason I wouldn't do 4 down is if there was a chance that different vehicles might need to be towed, the dolly allows that.

For me resale of the dolly isn't really a advantage due to the dolly needing a license, tires need maintenance/replaced etc...
NC25T,

Thanks for your advice on 4 down. I'm leaning in that direction. It just that it reduces the number of cars that can be towed. My wife wants the new CRV and I like the Ford Escape .... which leaves the only mid-sized SUV the Equinox.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #10

I use a dolly (EZ Tow) on my CRV and have a 4 bike rack we either put on the back of the MH or the CRV when towing. It clears just fine.
I would not let this be a decision factor in whether to go tow dolly or 4-down.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the EZEE tow dolly and a 4 bike carrier, here is my set up

I have towed my elentra and a Toyota RAV, neither had any issue with the bikes. I use the double hitch that is rated at 4000lbs and 400lb tongue weight. My only concern would be the weight of your two electric bikes and the tongue weight of the dolly with vehicle. There is a heavier double hitch tho you can buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	129907   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	129908  

Click image for larger version

Name:	32799_700x700.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	129909  

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, toad