Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

Thanks Pcurt. The Acme is much easier to use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have used my 80" Master Tow dolly for the past 4 years and approximately 30,000 miles towing several different cars and a mini van. I have never experienced any of the problems encountered by pcurt. In fact, I have enjoyed using it, and would do it again. I highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a cost effective and flexible method of towing a variety of vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Thanks Pcurt. The Acme is much easier to use.
You guys make a good dolly, but give the devils their due... pcurt's list of ten included the first 1-8 were operator items. If you don't lock the winch, the straps loosen on any brand, or any winch strap.
Centering, sweat, frustration are non-issues.

I like the Acme's ability to be stored upright, and it's a big deal at CGs with limited space. Our home storage would not be upright, though; too visible from the street. Personal preference there.

#10 assumes a toad is able to be towed 4-down.

I would have bought an Acme if one had been available at a great price, but bought a Master Tow (with two sets of barely-used straps) and it had been kept under cover. I had been looking for Stehls when the MT showed up.

To me, the brand wasn't as important as the condition. It's still up to me to know how to drive the toad onto the ramp, to install the straps properly, to make sure that they're tight and the winches locked, and to make sure tire pressures are proper.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #18

"You guys make a good dolly, but give the devils their due... pcurt's list of ten included the first 1-8 were operator items. If you don't lock the winch, the straps loosen on any brand, or any winch strap.
Centering, sweat, frustration are non-issues."

I stated at the start that they were probably my own fault.

However, I had several other "experts" offer their assistance and the tie downs still came loose. I started tying the ratchets closed - still came loose. I used a bar to tighten the ratchets. On one occasion just after installation I was pulled over by a police car because one of my straps was missing.

I always thought that because the dolly had no suspension that the car was bouncing on the dolly. But just like all things RV people who like systems really like them and people who don't like systems hate them. 4 wheels down for me.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Pcurt. With the experience you had with those straps coming loose I agree and would have looked at other options as you did.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #20
HGC

Acme Tow Dolly

WE have had an Acme Tow Dolly for 5 years.

When you put the straps on and through the winch system you cannot tie the strap (after winching) over the winch rachet bar but instead back under the winch bar and up. Otherwise every time you make a turn the tied winch strap pulls the rachet and therefor self loosens by pulling back the ratchet bar. I know this sounds nuts but I had it happen. By threading the strap underneath(closest to the strap part on the wheel) the ratchet bar cannot move. This will solve your problem. Never had a problem since.
Love surge brakes.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Pcurt, we too are considering this dolly, what kind of problems did you have, was it a safety issue/damage to the Toad ect. Is it worth it just to spend a couple thousand more and get the bigger one that actually has a turning mechanism on the dolly(another brand just can't think of the name right now)...Thanks for any insight.
We've had both a locally made dolly with swivel pan and now a KK-460 with steering wheels. We tow a '05 Honda Odyssey four down or on the dolly behind the same MH. The Odyssey is as big as I'd want to put on the dolly. For the sake of the vehicle I like the dolly but for storage at a site I like four down. So far the only damage is rock chips when towing four down. The KK-460 actually follows the MH better than four down too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
HGC

Dolly Issue-Acme Tow Dolly

As far as reliability and design the Acme is very simple. You place your ignition switch to the first click to unlock the steering wheel, keep it in park and take off your emergency brake( AFTER SECURING THE WHEEL STRAPS). The car and dolly really track well if this is done correctly even in tight situations(as train cars). It pulls it around the bend not into the bend as do some other dollies. Plus surge brakes are much more gradual and don't require adjustment via controller. And all parts are readily available from ACME. No I am not a salesman or the like but I think this product is really solid. We plan on using it for many more "moons". They have some good videos on utube.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I know this is a year old, but am interested in the final resolution to the problem. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A year old???
I have a KarKaddySS by Demco
My straps fit like vettenuts, even a little farther forwards
Our's also has a ratchet in front of the tire that you crank on, it also has a pin to prevent the ratchet from undoing its self. In 4 years no problems. I check them after 50 miles and only once one was loose and only a additional crank on the ratchet did it.
A couple of plus's , the tongue folds to one side for storage and has straight or tunable wheels.
JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
A year old???
I have a KarKaddySS by Demco
My straps fit like vettenuts, even a little farther forwards
Our's also has a ratchet in front of the tire that you crank on, it also has a pin to prevent the ratchet from undoing its self. In 4 years no problems. I check them after 50 miles and only once one was loose and only a additional crank on the ratchet did it.
A couple of plus's , the tongue folds to one side for storage and has straight or tunable wheels.
JMO,
Tim
I have about 1/2 mile of winding road after I leave my house and prior to reaching a four lane road. My first strap check is when I reach the four lane road and they will typically take a click or two because I think the winding back and forth tends to shake out any looseness from the initial installation. I then check them again in about 20 miles, since that is a couple of miles before reaching the interstate and I found a nice off the road place to do this check. Then I check them at each stop we make (lunch, etc.) during the trip. I also check the lug nuts. Both checks take a couple of minutes. Then I walk the dog
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
OOps! Was looking at another older post too. We will be diligent checking the straps to be sure they remain tight. First trip coming in a week or so. Thanks all for the info & tips.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanha Pieru View Post
I know this is a year old, but am interested in the final resolution to the problem. Thanks!

I would also like to find out if this was resolved by the OP.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly